We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions needed for honeymoon

Pontypridd, United...
Level Contributor
93 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Suggestions needed for honeymoon

Hi all. We are planning a honeymoon in march/April 2014 (yes I am organised!), and are currently thinking of 5 days in Auckland NZ then over to Fiji for around 10-12 days. We would like to maybe stay at 2 different places in Fiji, and quite like the look of matamanoa resort, but slightly expensive.

Can anyone suggest other resorts or hotels? We'd like to see some local culture and don't have a massive budget, but would like some luxury for our honeymoon :)

All inclusive would be nice but probably being unrealistic with budget

Thanks

Sarah

Bellingen, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji, Mamanuca Islands, Navini Island
Level Contributor
8,591 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions needed for honeymoon

The newly renovated garden bures at Matamanoa may suit. Have a look at Octopus Resort this could work well and offers the local culture at a more reasonable rate. Viwea island resort too often has speciasl eg. stay 7 pay5 or stay five pay four.

Pontypridd, United...
Level Contributor
93 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestions needed for honeymoon

Ok thank you, will take a look.

There don't seem to be any reasonably priced all-inclusives around. Would you therefore recommend purchasing the meal-plans at these resorts, or is there a cheaper alternative? Obviously if we are on a little island, there is no option of popping to the super market!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,226 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestions needed for honeymoon

It depends what you class as "reasonably priced".

Matamanoa and Lomani Island Resort I'd both class as reasonably priced resorts for Fiji.

Yes there are cheaper resorts than them, but I wouldn't recommend them given it's your honeymoon.

What sort of budget do you have, as that can help us better work out a holiday plan for you?

Maybe cut back on the number of days?

Oh and congrats on the wedding and honeymoon :) I'm off on mine in a few days :)

Edited: 04 October 2012, 15:38
Pontypridd, United...
Level Contributor
93 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggestions needed for honeymoon

Ok, let's say for 10 days in fiji, we have a budget of around £1800-£2000 for accommodation and islad transfers. Is that unrealistic? We'd ideally like to split out one between mainland and island time.

We know we aren't going to get five star luxury for this, but at the same time don't want to be slumming it. We're also not keen on being surrounded by drunk travellers, but a bit of nightlife would be nice.

Congratulations to you too! :)

Thanks x

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,226 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggestions needed for honeymoon

Matamanoa and Lomani are the two good budget honeymoon/adult orientated resorts.

I probably wouldn't stay anywhere on Denarau Island, as you don't get that true Fiji experience.

Waitakere City, New...
Destination Expert
for Mamanuca Islands
Level Contributor
2,544 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Suggestions needed for honeymoon

Hi, I'll just throw this in here in case it's of any interest. For around the top end of your budget (maybe just slightly over) we're spending 14 nights in Fiji later this month (well, actually in a couple of weeks from now). We're spending our last 8 nights on Navini island (that's our budget blow out part of the trip). Tiny island, no day trippers, limited guest numbers, all water sports and day trips included in price. Free transfers from/to the airport direct to the island to suit your convenience if you are booked for 7 nights or more. Anyway, not trying to sell you on Navini as their are other locations out on the islands that might suit but for the most part they aren't budget savers. However we are also spending 1 night across from the airport in their mid range (Executive) room at Raffles Gateway and then 5 nights on the Coral Coast (Bedarra Beach Inn) for NZ$550.00 in total (including transfers as we've chosen to go by Coral Sun Express Bus rather then private transfer). If I've done my sums right that comes out at below 50pounds per night. That's our budget saver to stretch out our Fiji time. :)

My point is that there are ways to stretch out your time in Fiji and get more 'bang for your buck' if you don't want 5 star all the way and for us that's a no brainer we just want quiet, clean, tropical, laid back Fiji. But - No dorms, no zillion children running all over the place, no party till you drop sorts keeping us up all night. Maybe that's what you're after as well. Not sure but I hope this helps in the ideas department.

PS - lots of interesting day trips from the Coral Coast that are different from what you have access to once out on the islands. We've booked a cultural day with a horse ride to a waterfall through the rain forest followed by a traditional lovo (food cooked underground). Heaps of things like that if you're wanting to see that side of Fiji before hitting the white sand and blue water of the islands.

Sorry, editing to say that the total budget I've mentioned includes all meals while on Navini but not during the first six nights of our stay.

Edited: 05 October 2012, 02:39
Bellingen, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji, Mamanuca Islands, Navini Island
Level Contributor
8,591 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Suggestions needed for honeymoon

I would not call Matamano or Lomani budget resorts, far from it... Then there is Navini. They quote in Fiji dollars and it is not that much dearer than the other two. Why not email Navini for a quote and convert to your currency you may be pleasantly suprised great resort Denarau is not Fiji there are lovely hotels but you don't get the Fijian experience. I would not cut back the number fo days as there are some good resorts that could suit you if these prove too expensive. Octopus is worth a look as I said and maybe Musket Cove would offer something different.

Pontypridd, United...
Level Contributor
93 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Suggestions needed for honeymoon

Thank you all, I will take a look. Dianz- yes that is what we are after :)

We also came across the blue lagoon beach resort last night, which seems like good value. What's it like there?

Re coral coast, is the weather a bit unpredictable during April?

Pontypridd, United...
Level Contributor
93 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Suggestions needed for honeymoon

Thank you all, I will take a look. Dianz- yes that is what we are after :)

We also came across the blue lagoon beach resort last night, which seems like good value. What's it like there?

Also, is it best to book directly with hotels for the best deal do you think, or use a local travel agent?

Re coral coast, is the weather a bit unpredictable during April?

Sorry for all the questions, appreciate your help!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
33 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Suggestions needed for honeymoon

Hello Sarah, have you thought of venturing to some of the outer islands? Take a look at what is on offer in and around Taveuni for a true Fiji Experience. Combined with something more touristy would be great.