We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scoop on Deals to Fiji -Sonsaisali

Echuca, Australia
Level Contributor
743 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Scoop on Deals to Fiji -Sonsaisali

Just wondering if anyone has ever booked and used one of these? There's a great (I think) deal going at the moment at Sonaisali. 6 nights in ocean view for $ 689.00.

Also what is the above resort like? It's not one I've looked at before but might be a way to get another Fiji trip soon!!

Cheers

Echuca, Australia
Level Contributor
743 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Scoop on Deals to Fiji -Sonsaisali

Scoopon (silly auto correct)

Dunedin
Destination Expert
for Mana Island, Fiji
Level Contributor
1,929 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Scoop on Deals to Fiji -Sonsaisali

Hi Luv2Travel - I have just returned from Sonaisali and am about to post up a review. Great place, but as we know no beach to speak of, but a fabulous pool/pool bar. Great accommodation (I had a beachfront spa bure) well kitted out and wanted for nothing.

Excellent food, service and VERY friendly staff. Beautiful maintained gardens. Cheers -

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,226 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Scoop on Deals to Fiji -Sonsaisali

Given I visited there previously a few years ago, I will never go back. Way too many issues (some blatant safety problems).

For the money they are asking, honestly it's a big gamble. Problems I addressed in my review a while back still exist in fairly recent complaints, which is a worry.

That said I hear they are under a new customer service team, so perhaps they are trying to win back a reputation with a decent deal.

But the price they charge, and knowing some things (like a brown sand beach - which has a tarp under it because the sand is trucked in as the resort is built on a marsh/swamp inlet, and muddy water around the island) can't be fixed, it'd be very hard for me to even consider going back there unless it was offered for free.

Compare Sonaisali: http://goo.gl/maps/BGHtc

to Mana Island: http://goo.gl/maps/fvwgc

The differece in the water and sand for beach is HUGE.

New South Wales...
Destination Expert
for Fiji, New South Wales, Australian Capital Territory
Level Contributor
4,032 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Scoop on Deals to Fiji -Sonsaisali

luv2travel - that is a GREAT deal. I've never used Scoopon but I read an article in last weeks paper where there are a handful of these webdeal companies that are actually licenced travel agents (affording you the same protection as a regular TA) - and the rest are just selling on packages which does result in some complaints to Fair Trading. Check to see which Scoopon are before booking. Any deals Sonaisali are offering you can usually get at your local TA as well.

As for Sonaisali - we stayed there, as a family, for a week last year in a beachfront hotel room and loved it. We honestly couldn't see what all the complaints on the forums and in reviews were about. Most of the complaints I have seen are molehill into mountain kind of stuff so probably from people who feel they just HAVE to gripe if a place doesn't meet their pre-conceived expectations. I guess you have to spend more than 1 night to really relax into the groove of the place and appreciate all it has to offer.

It's lovely if you aren't hankering for the white sandy beach. Sunsets of Malolo Lalai are beautiful and they have an amazing pool to make up for the murky sea. You can still kayak, sail etc & do snorkelling trips, cruises on their catamaran and so much more.

The resort is laid out very spaciously so has a very calm & peaceful feel to it. The area around the main pool and restaurant is very busy and where all the "action" is. The Kids Club is FANTASTIC and they have a huge range of activities & games to keep them going all day and into the evening. The staff are typically cheerful, relaxed Fijians and we found the service very attentive during our stay. As with most places in Fiji, you get back what you put in.....

Choice of 3 (sometimes up to 5) dining areas (we preferred the Pool Bar for casual, relaxed dining).

Does the package also include the "Jungle Cruise" & Intro scuba dive? (Sonaisali packages usually do....) The jungle cruise was a bit of fun - going on a tinny up into the mangroves. The Frangipani Spa is also gorgeous and very good value. They run 1/2 day shopping trips into Nadi and it's also really easy to access Denarau for island daytrips if you want to.

Hervey Bay...
Destination Expert
for Fiji
Level Contributor
1,225 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Scoop on Deals to Fiji -Sonsaisali

Looks like a great deal to me.

We havent stayed here personally, but I would seriously look at it at that price, even with the reviews as they are.

Agreed that its probably not the best beach, but we tend to use the pools at any of the resorts along the Coral Coast anyway because of this fact.

We often book part of our stay on the Coral Coast due mainly to deals available and our budget at time of booking and it usually gives us a longer stay in Fiji.

We like to experience a place first hand, so what may be an issue with one traveller doesn't mean its going to be for us. After-all thats what travel is all about, leaping into the unknown and taking the good with the bad...

Maree :D

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
285 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Scoop on Deals to Fiji -Sonsaisali

I have to agree with Mitch007. This 'resort' is on a man mad island on an elevated mud flat with imported sand (not white) in the magroves. The beachfront bure was mouldy and musty, the pool dirty and the food very ordinary. I will never go back.

It's cheap for a reason.

New South Wales...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,032 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Scoop on Deals to Fiji -Sonsaisali

That's what's so wonderful about Fiji Schwabbie - it caters for many varied tastes & budgets. Many of us would prefer a "cheap" holiday than no holiday at all :) An excellent example is Robinson Crusoe Island. Definitely cheap, VERY basic facilities (even with bucket showers) and located at the mouth of a river (not unlike Sonaisali). Not somewhere I'd personally choose to stay but others must enjoy it.........

What time of year did you stay at Sonaisali? I can imagine the pool could get dirty following storms or floods such as they get in Autumn. We thought the pool was spectacular! Funny how people have their own ideas of what's great and what's not I suppose.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
285 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Scoop on Deals to Fiji -Sonsaisali

Tez823 - I've stayed at about 30 different resort in Fiji now. Sonaisali is at the bottom of my list. Yes, it's just my opinion... but there are cheaper/ nicer resorts to stay at. I'm glad you enjoyed it. Again, I will never go back.

Echuca, Australia
Level Contributor
743 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Scoop on Deals to Fiji -Sonsaisali

Thanks for your feedback, this is where TA becomes confusing with such differences in opinions.

New South Wales...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,032 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Scoop on Deals to Fiji -Sonsaisali

That's great Schwabbie - with that wealth of experience behind you, perhaps you could tell us more about your favourite places and why YOU think they are so good rather than those that didn't suit you so well??? If you've stayed in so many places, I would have thought you would know what it is that suits you by now and wouldn't have made the "mistake" of staying somewhere that wasn't to your personal "style".......

That's what research is all about and we all have different requirements for what makes our perfect holiday :) Personally, my holidays aren't about "getting away from it all". Fortunately, I go home to that every day and I love it, so on holidays, I want something different to MY everyday.