We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to go in fiji to snorkel and relax!!

3 posts
Save Topic
Where to go in fiji to snorkel and relax!!

Hello all! I am traveling to fiji in Sept 2013 for 13 days. Both me and the girlfriend are young (22 and 23) I can't for the life of me decide where to go. Me and the girlfriend have recently started snorkeling and love to hike and explore and lay on the beach. Price wise I would like to stay under 1000/night usd. There's so many reviews and I've read for the last week and just wanna make sure I don't blow my savings on a bad island. Flights from Canada are gonna run me around 4000-5000 so just wanna have a great vacation for me and the girl.

Thanks!!!!!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,234 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to go in fiji to snorkel and relax!!

Given the price you are paying you want to make the most of your time in Fiji.

I'd do a combination of two resorts over your time.

E.G

5 days in Mamanuca Island Group (the most popular island group in Fiji they combine nice beaches and crystal clear water). Not as bright white sand as Yasawas, but an excellent group of islands to holiday in.

7 days in Yasawa Island Group (white powder sand beaches, crystal clear water, and excellent off the beach snorkeling). The Yasawas are remote, pristine, and unspoiled.

1 (or 2) days with stopovers / exploring Nadi. This would allow you stopovers either side, and one between Yasawas and Mamanuca transfers, so you don't always feel you are rushing.

I realise some of these recommendations will push your budget, and two are higher end, but all very popular resorts in Fiji. I have stayed at all.

E.G Idea of travels.

Fly into Nadi, and to make the most of your time, get a helicopter transfer to Tokoriki Island Resort in the Mamanuca Group of islands. The transfer is about 15 minutes and from Nadi airport, and saves a potential overnight stay to catch the Catamaran out there.

Spend 5 days relaxing at Tokoriki.

Depart Tokoriki on their catamaran and stay overnight at Raffles Gateway in Nadi.

Spend overnight in Nadi at Raffles.

Depart Raffles and head via seaplane to Yasawa Island Resort.

Spend 7 days at YIR.

Depart YIR and stay overnight at Raffles Gateway again. Due to it's price you may chose to spend more than one night and check out Sabeto Hot Springs, Vuda Point Lookout, Garden of the Sleeping Giant.

Of course if the budget is too small for the above places there are plenty of other resorts in the Mamanucas and Yasawas that may be relevant.

YIR is expensive, but well worth the money, which for an expensive plan ticket I think it pays for itself with the views, privacy, and private picnics!

3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to go in fiji to snorkel and relax!!

Thanks for the awesome reply! So the yasawa islands are the best in fiji for off the beach snorkeling ?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,234 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to go in fiji to snorkel and relax!!

One of, yes.

There are other areas in Fiji which have excellent snorkelling as well, but the Yasawas include the white powder sand beaches, and clear waters as well.

New South Wales...
Destination Expert
for Fiji, New South Wales, Australian Capital Territory
Level Contributor
4,088 posts
265 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to go in fiji to snorkel and relax!!

You don't HAVE to spend a fortune to find a great place to stay in Fiji. $1000/night will get you near top of the range for Fiji. Other wonderful places that meet your criteria without the expense include:

Matamanoa, Lomani or Navini in the Manamucas

Viwa or Navutu Stars in the Yasawas

Nukubati, Qamea, Matangi or Taveuni Resort in northern Fiji.

With 13 nights, you could certainly split your stay between at least 2 resorts if you wanted to or just spend the whole time really relaxing in one place after such a long journey - and save your money for other activities - maybe do a dive course?

Edited: 15 January 2013, 23:14
Bellingen, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji, Mamanuca Islands, Navini Island
Level Contributor
9,199 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to go in fiji to snorkel and relax!!

Some good sites in the Yasawas, unfortunately sine TC Evan a lot of reefs have been destroyed. The best snorkeling we have had in theYasawas is at Botaira Beach Resort. You can hike as well, lovely beach. It is a basic resort, Fijian owned and managed. Read the reviews of the resort on this site( or Facebook) to see if it is for you. Excellent value, the reef is still fine. The Mamanuca islands suffered a lot of damage to reefs in the area. Not sure how Matamanoa fared but Navini reef suffered greatly, Lomani not good snorkeling or Viwa or Tokoriki. Matangi should be OK, great resort and should be OK as cyclone did not cause havoc in that area as much as others. Matangi would be my first pick considering your budget..

Reno, Nv
Destination Expert
for Matangi Island, Fiji
Level Contributor
5,605 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to go in fiji to snorkel and relax!!

Have been to Viwa and Navini, and Matangi, our favorite resort in Fiji. While we enjoyed Viwa and Navini, we were disappointed with the snorkeling. Didn't have the variety of coral like Matangi.

Matangi ticks all your boxes. The snorkeling is the best we have experienced in Fiji. Lots of fish, blue starfish, giant clams, plate, elk horn, and other types of hard and soft coral.

Matangi is a private island resort with a choice of treehouse bures with jacuzzi tub and separate bedroom, beachfront, literally steps to the beach, and ocean view, a little farther back from the beach.

What we enjoyed most about Matangi, is we can do as much or as little as we like. Lay by the pool with a good book, and cocktail, hike around the island and over look Horseshoe Bay, snorkel or kayak off the beach. Daily snorkeling tours to various reefs around the island are not to be missed. You can also take tours to the Bouma Water Falls, and Lavena Coastal Walk on Taveuni.

The private luncheon at Horseshoe Bay is a must do. Nothing like having an amazing mea/spirits on a beach all your to yourselves, amazing snorkeling, and kayaking.

Qamea offers the same tours on Taveuni, and goes to the same reefs Matangi does as the islands are very close together.

Agree. With 13 nights you could split your time between two resorts for two different experiences. Nukubati looks amazing. It is not too far Taveuni where you fly to get to Matangi, Qamea or Taveuni Resort & Spa. It might be possible to fly from Taveuni to Vanua Levu where Nukubati is located without returning to Nadi.

The following links have pictures of our vacations to Navini and Matangi. They will give you an idea of the beach, bures, snorkeling, resort grounds,etc.

…tripadvisor.com/tripwow/ta-0439-1408-d5f4

…tripadvisor.com/tripwow/ta-042f-1fde-de34

Coming from Canada, you will need an adapter angled for Australia for charging camera, laptop batteries. We also take a small power strip. Allows us to charge more than one battery at the same time. Have a look at the following for other suggestions of what to take with you.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g294331-c134773/Fiji:…

3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to go in fiji to snorkel and relax!!

Looks like mantangi is gonna be my choice for the first 7. I wanted to do the Matamanoa island for the last 7. But after hearing about the damage it's got me worried. Any other good suggestions? Also what's some "must" see or "must" do activities in fiji.

Thanks all!

Bellingen, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji, Mamanuca Islands, Navini Island
Level Contributor
9,199 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to go in fiji to snorkel and relax!!

The must see do's are mostly on the main island of Viti Levu. The cave tours is a goo one. Off Road is a new way to get there and from the website looks fun. If you Google Naihehe Caves,you will see your options. The River Safari is another and the Zipline if that sort of thing grabs you. Sigatoka Sand Dunes Eco centre is interesting. There is always white water rafting operated by Rivers Fiji. While at Matangi you can visit Taveuni Island home to some good waterfalls and the Coastal walk is worthwhile. They can arrange all this if ou can drag yourselves away from the resort.

Level Contributor
3 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to go in fiji to snorkel and relax!!

Check out Octopus Resort Waya Island in the Yasawas. Brilliant snorkeling straight off the beach. A wicked mountain hike and an all round beautiful spot

Bonaire
Destination Expert
for Bonaire
Level Contributor
2,526 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to go in fiji to snorkel and relax!!

I can't say enough good things about Matangi. Thanks to E&CinReno's rave reviews, I went there in November. It was an amazing trip. We are snorkelers and divers, and were very impressed with the dive sites and the shore snorkeling. The setting is very South Pacific, with lots of palm trees and gorgeous tropical landscaping. It is an island for the nature lover and the animal lover.

If you would like to see underwater photos from my trip in November, they are posted here-

Www.reeftraveler.smugmug.com

Just scroll down to Galleries

Good luck!

Edited: 16 January 2013, 15:24