We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fish Dish

Boise, Idaho
Level Contributor
49 posts
149 reviews
Save Topic
Fish Dish

Bula!

Headed to Fiji in June with the family and we don't eat much for seafood. Please give us some advice- in your opinion what's the best fish dish to have in Fiji (from locally caught fish)?

Had parrot fish long ago while there and found it to be very good.

Vinaka!

Lorne, Australia
Level Contributor
108 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fish Dish

would have to be the Kokoda...............hands down!

Its a cold fish dish, that is "cooked" in lime/lemon juice and marinated in coconut cream etc etc. Very yummy!.............I think the fish they mainly use for this dish is Wahu? which is a very clean white flesh fish.

Waitakere City, New...
Destination Expert
for Mamanuca Islands
Level Contributor
2,590 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fish Dish

I agree with Kora. You have to at least try the kokonda while you're there.

Tea Gardens...
Destination Expert
for Mana Island
Level Contributor
1,757 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fish Dish

Fish is meant to be cooked not eaten raw. Nothing better than a fresh piece of Wahoo,with crunchy batter from Tu's place (restaurant) in Nadi.

Waitakere City, New...
Destination Expert
for Mamanuca Islands
Level Contributor
2,590 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fish Dish

Exactly manaregular, which is why the fish used in kokoda sits around in lemon and/or lime juice for a period of time before adding the rest of the ingredients, the acid in the citrus changes it from opaque to white just like 'cooked' fish (which it is by then). I know this as a long time maker of my own kokoda. Incidentally what we all now know as kokoda wasn't originally made using coconut milk apparantly that was added during the 1930's by a Suva restaurant (according to the cook book Me'a Kai). However have to concur that I am, very much, looking forward to trying the famous fish 'n chips from Tu's place the first chance I get!

Reno, Nv
Destination Expert
for Matangi Island, Fiji
Level Contributor
5,434 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fish Dish

Sashimi, tuna, cooked with lemon and/or lime juice like kokoda is also a a must try.

Boise, Idaho
Level Contributor
49 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fish Dish

Thanks y'all. Much appreciated. Going to have to try that Kokoda. Sounds interesting.

Best Bulas to yas!

Sydney
Level Contributor
1,389 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fish Dish

My favourite is fish lolo- cooked in coconut milk, lime, coriander and chilli. It's delicious. If you're in Denarau you could try the Fijian restaurant at the marina, can't remember the name though.

8. Re: Fish Dish

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 March 2014, 04:18