We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Food Safety

San Diego...
Level Contributor
148 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Food Safety

I have read numerous posts on food safety and food poisoning issues among various resorts in Fiji. I have a very sensitive stomach and I am quite concerned. Some reports said to stay away from chicken some said stay away from fish others said not to eat the lettuce??? I travel overseas a bit and I am aware of the normal precautions to take and I travel with a variety of stomach medicines just in case. But I have to say, this is one of the 1st times I am really worried.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
375 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Food Safety

Sorry to say but food is a bit hit or miss in Fiji. I've been living here for a year and although I don't know anyone who has been sick (due to food) to the point of hospitalisation, most have suffered a "runny tummy" (as the locals call it) at some point. Nothing too serious, lasts a day (if that).

If you have a sensitive stomach then sorry to say you will likely get a "runny tummy".... Hopefully it won't interfere with your holiday too much

San Diego...
Level Contributor
148 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Food Safety

Thabk you. Would there be certain foods you'd recommend avoiding?

Reno, Nv
Destination Expert
for Matangi Island, Fiji
Level Contributor
5,308 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Food Safety

We don't avoid any foods unless they aren't cooked properly. Make sure all fish and meats are cooked thoroughly, if not don't eat it. For buffets: be there when it starts. Don't wait till it has been sitting out for hours.

Fortunately, have never experienced food poisoning at the resorts we vacationed to. We expect some discomfort as we are eating meals/foods we aren't use to, outside our usual diet, and cooked differently. Coconut milk and cream is used in a lot of Fijian cooking, which is a mild laxative. Caused us some stomach upsets for a day or two till our bodies adjusted. Didn't keep us from taking tours or participating in activities.

Hope this helps.

New South Wales...
Destination Expert
for Fiji, New South Wales, Australian Capital Territory
Level Contributor
4,003 posts
241 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Food Safety

Doesn't matter WHERE I travel, I always end up the tummy runs for at least a few days of any trip - even in the USA last year. I don't think it's food poisoning - more just a handling/hygiene issue and the more you travel and eat at different places, the more likely you are to be exposed to it. I really don't think it's any ONE type of food. (Avoiding lettuce is just weird - why???? - you would hope that being washed it would be better and drinking water in Fiji is safe)

That being said, there have been reports of people becoming seriously ill from eating certain fish. Avoid the larger pelagic (hunting) fish - this is unfortunately the case all over the world now due to the poisoning of our oceans. The worst food handling I've seen in Fiji is with fish - freshly caught & left out in the yard until later on when one of the men had time to get around to cleaning it up for dinner. I didn't eat fish that night......... or any other night while we were on that island.

Take your medications with you - I also find eating yoghurt to be beneficial.

Bellingen, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji, Mamanuca Islands, Navini Island
Level Contributor
8,591 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Food Safety

Don't drink the water buy bottled, sometimes salads because they are rinsed with tap water can cause issues usually after floods, make sure chicken is cooked through to the bone. Coconut milk and cream are used in Fijian cooking and as these are a mild diuretic can cause 'runny tummy'.

Tea Gardens...
Destination Expert
for Mana Island
Level Contributor
1,730 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Food Safety

Take a bottle (packed in checked-in luggage) of antibacterial hand sanitser and use regularly especially before meals. Just practise good common sense hygiene and you will have no worries. Take Immodium with you just in case.

Edited: 29 April 2013, 00:43
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Denarau Island
Level Contributor
2,115 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Food Safety

I get sick wherever I go too. I have started using Travelan tablets, I'm sure it was someone here who recommended them to me. You take one before every meal & they are supposedly a preventative rather than a cure.

I do feel that they help,as it was only when I kept forgetting to take them that I got crook on our last trip.

I also try to eat yoghurt when its available, drink bottled water, use the ice from the ice machines at your resort only to cool drinks in a cooler bag, dont put it in your drinks. Also, go easy on all the tropical fruits if you arent used to eating them.

8. Re: Food Safety

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 May 2013, 19:46
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
709 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Food Safety

I just came back from a week in Fiji. I ate in remote villages 3-4 times. No problem whatsoever :)

10. Re: Food Safety

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 May 2014, 05:17