We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Years eve in Fiji

East Grinstead
Level Contributor
10 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
New Years eve in Fiji

Hi Guys,

I am taking 5 weeks out at the end of 2013 to go and see a little of the world.

I am going to the east coast of Aus, where i will celebrate my 21st, and Fiji.

I was wondering (as a 21 year-old-to-be) where is the best place to spend New Years eve on in Fiji. I will probably be at an Island resort in the Yasawas, but may be tempted to go to the mainland. I would quite like a party that goes on throughout the night, not too de-similar to the UK, but of course nicer people that arent getting wasted on Stellar Artois and causing trouble.

Thanks,

Jeff

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,226 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New Years eve in Fiji

A few things:

1. Fiji doesn't have a very big nightlife at all. They enjoy themselves as people, but there isn't a big "party" atmosphere in Fiji when it comes to nightclubs, etc.

2. December/Jan is in Fiji's wet/cyclone season. Just last year Fiji was hit hard by Cyclone Evan just before New Years.

3. If you haven't booked already you might have trouble getting accommodation. During late Dec and early Jan, even adults only resorts tend to open their doors to families. This is despite point #2 being the case.

You could check out Beachcomber which is popular with backpackers if that's your thing.

East Grinstead
Level Contributor
10 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New Years eve in Fiji

Thanks for this.

I would only be looking for that sort of thing on New Years. The rest i plan to chill out, relax, fish, snorkel the normal Fijian things.

Thought there might be something that happens somewhere in Fiji, kind of like the half moon parties in Thailand.

Jeff

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,226 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New Years eve in Fiji

Most resorts have something planned with their guests, but there isn't really that sort of culture in Fiji to have those big parties per se.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
377 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New Years eve in Fiji

Sorry I disagree with Mitch007... Having experienced Dwali (massive Indian/Indo-Fijian holiday), the Fijians do know how to party... I have always gone home to Australia for New Years, so haven't experienced NYE in Fiji, but it does go off on the mainland... Street parties are held in Nadi Town & Suva city... They start at about 5pm, finish up at about 4am... Lots of music, dancing, shows, fireworks etc... I suggest you check out YouTube (search street party NYE Fiji or something similar)... Not sure about the islands, but I would assume they would be more low key as resources are limited and being small islands I would assume party wouldn't go for too long... I'd avoid Beachcomber, real cheap & nasty crap island... I'd stick with the mainland personally... Being a tropical island, yes cyclone can happen... I experienced Cyclone Evan (which occurred before Xmas), but it doesn't damper the Fijian spirit that's for sure. Cyclone Evan was the worst cyclone in a while for Fiji, but if by some chance they strike unlucky 2 years running, you may need to change hotels at last minute from Nadi to Suva (Nadi always gets the brunt of the cyclones)... Whatever you decide, enjoy!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
377 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New Years eve in Fiji

Btw- when I say Cyclone Evan was the worst cyclone in a while for Fiji... We're talking approx 15 years

Reno, Nv
Destination Expert
for Matangi Island, Fiji
Level Contributor
5,336 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New Years eve in Fiji

True Fiji isn't known for nightlife, especially on the outer islands. That said, they definitely know how to bring in the New Year.

We celebrated New Years at Viwa several years ago. It was very special bringing in the New Year with the staff and other guests. Without a doubt our best New Year's ever.

The festivities started 6ish with cocktails at the bar. Then cocktails around the bonfire on the beach. Followed by lovo, meke, and a kava ceremony with staff on the beach. More singing, dancing, kava, not to mention more cocktails till the wee hours of the morning.

Would contact any resorts you are interested in for availability and New Years festivities. Many popular resorts are booked months or even a year in advance over Christmas/New Years.

November thru March is the rainy/cyclone. Cyclone Tomas was another major cyclone causing severe damage in March of 2010. Suggest getting travel insurance should flights or accommodations have to be cancelled due to weather or other unforeseen circumstances.

Edited: 10 May 2013, 22:32
Sydney
Level Contributor
1,389 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New Years eve in Fiji

Hi, if you're in Nadi on NYE go to the White House night club, also known as Obama. You'll definitely party there

3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: New Years eve in Fiji

Hi I'm Japanese and plan to have new year in Nandi Fiji. You go there too?

Hamilton, New...
Level Contributor
1 post
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: New Years eve in Fiji

ill be in Nadi over NYE and will also be looking for a place to party.... does any one know of any partys going on?

1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: New Years eve in Fiji

Hey I'm going to Fiji from 23 dec to 5 Jan by myself.. Planning surfing mainly and don't want to stay in a honey mooners place.. Any suggestions??

Edited: 27 November 2013, 19:45