We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where should we go to expercience the best fijian holiday?

Sydney, Australia
2 posts
Save Topic
Where should we go to expercience the best fijian holiday?

Hi! we are a coupe just under 30s. We need a week off Sydney to relax and see beautiful places. We are not to worry about spending money but we don't even want to pay a lot just to be in a 5 star resort that is exactly the same every where else. W e want to experience fijian culture, having great food, seeing great beaches and talking to locals.

Where should we go?

Is it better to book the whole package (flight and accomodation) or jus s build up our own trip?

Alice

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,234 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where should we go to expercience the best fijian holiday?

Hi Alice,

Before anyone starts asking.. what sort of budget per night are you looking at?

Be aware that 5 star in Sydney is not equal to 5 star in Fiji.

There are some stunning places in Fiji, but be aware that prices are generally quite high compared to 5 star places in Sydney. (e.g $1000 per night)

New South Wales...
Destination Expert
for Fiji, New South Wales, Australian Capital Territory
Level Contributor
4,060 posts
260 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where should we go to expercience the best fijian holiday?

I would suggest visiting your local travel agent for advice on packages to somewhere like Royal Davui, Vatulele, Tokoriki, Likuliku, Vomo, Viwa, Tadrai, Qamea, Matangi, Yasawa Island Resorts. (There is quite a long list of great 5* Fijian resorts...............) All will depend on your budget but any of these places would provide you with a magical holiday to remember.

If they are over budget, consider Lomani, Matamanoa or just go completely downmarket and have a ball.........

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,234 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where should we go to expercience the best fijian holiday?

Is Vatulele still trading? Last thing I heard it'd been handed back to the banks and there was a big question mark over it's future. Would be a shame if it folded as I hear it is stunning.

Absolutely agree with tez823 though (she has covered a decent list of the well known and respected 5 star places in Fiji). In terms of actual ratings, Yasawa, Likuliku, Royal Davui, Vatulele, Vomo and Tadrai are definite 5 stars resorts. Tokoriki is 4.5 star (but accommodation rivals 5 star resorts (the old management wanted to keep it 4.5 over 5 star). I'm not sure about Qamea, Viwa and Matangi.

Also, don't get sticker shock (freak out at online prices). I got a quote from Royal Davui direct a while back, and it was VERY competitive indeed.

Sydney, Australia
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Where should we go to expercience the best fijian holiday?

Thank you so much to all of you first of all!

We were looking to spend around 1000 each with fares and accomodation (that's why I was looking for packages).

Mitch, how can I get direct quote from the resort? Shoould I call them?

Reno, Nv
Destination Expert
for Matangi Island, Fiji
Level Contributor
5,548 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where should we go to expercience the best fijian holiday?

Check the websites for resorts you are interested in for contact information. You can e-mail or call them.

New South Wales...
Destination Expert
for Fiji, New South Wales, Australian Capital Territory
Level Contributor
4,060 posts
260 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where should we go to expercience the best fijian holiday?

We are not to worry about spending money

We were looking to spend around 1000 each with fares and accomodation

For that budget you will be looking at 3* resorts AT BEST in Fiji.

As previously stated - go see your local travel agent and see what kind of specials they have available. Packages are certainly the way to go on your budget. When you've narrowed it down to a couple within your budget - let us know and we'll see if we can give you some pros & cons.

Brisbane Australia
Level Contributor
29 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where should we go to expercience the best fijian holiday?

If you really want to experience it, why not charter a boat? There are several different size options based at Port Denarau Marina, Charter Boats Fiji is a new one and looks pretty schmick!

Waitakere City, New...
Destination Expert
for Mamanuca Islands
Level Contributor
2,591 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where should we go to expercience the best fijian holiday?

Hi Alice, welcome to the forum. I think you're saying that you don't want to stay in a typical 5 star hotel/resort that could be anywhere in the world, that you're looking for a more 'Fijian' flavoured experience. Is that right? If so I'd suggest starting by looking at somewhere like Nanuya...

http://www.nanuyafiji.com/

Nanuya is located towards the top of the Yasawa Island chain, it is a long boat ride, around 4 1/2 to 5 hours on board the Yasawa Flyer. On the way it stops at many other resorts passing many islands. Costing for transfers can be found on Nanuya's site (which quotes in Fijian dollars so don't forget to convert to AUD, the exchange rate is very favourable). Because this is the only large ferry servicing these islands, and it only travels up and back once a day, you would typically plan to spend a night either end in one of the hotels close to the airport or in Nadi or, alternatively at one of the resorts on Denarau Island (not really an island but it is the port where most of the tours for the Yasawas and the Mamanuca islands come and go from).

Roughly, flights plus accommodation (5 nights Nanuya, 2 nights airport hotel) plus transfers will probably cost you in the region of between AUD$2500 to $3000. A bit more than the figure you mentioned but not ridiculously so.

I know it can be difficult to find your way around Trip Advisor when you're new so I'll provide the link to reviews for Nanuya...

tripadvisor.com/…REVIEWS

Hopefully this is along the lines of the type of holiday you were looking for.

9. Re: Where should we go to expercience the best fijian holiday?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 June 2014, 07:17