We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best snorkeling spots

Australia
Level Contributor
9 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Best snorkeling spots

We're ideally looking for somewhere we can snorkel easily off the beach, where there is still healthy coral and lots of fish life in the home reef. We like to snorkel for at least an hour and a half/two hours at a time and our experience of the boat excursions offered by resorts is that they're a bit limiting in this regard.

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Yasawa Islands
Level Contributor
2,126 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best snorkeling spots

Check the website for Blue Lagoon Beach Resort in the Yasawas. Good snorkelling, lovely beach, great accommodation and food.

Bellingen, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji, Mamanuca Islands, Navini Island
Level Contributor
9,212 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best snorkeling spots

Have just posted on another site with similar information. Botaira Beach Resort in the Yasawas has a large amazing reef which is a marine sanctuary, lots of varieties of corals an fish, lovely beach and you can snorkel at all tides , at low via a concrete path through the shallows to the deeper water. Smaller reefs are at Barefoot. Manta Ray , Octopus and Blue Lagoon Resorts, Paradise Cove is supposed to have good snorkeling too but as we aren't going there till later in the year can't comment (this is a new resort due to open very soon).

Reno, Nv
Destination Expert
for Matangi Island, Fiji
Level Contributor
5,608 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best snorkeling spots

Have a look at the website for Rainbow Reef Resort. We are considering it for our next vacation.

http://www.rainbowreefresort.com

Edited: 15 June 2013, 03:46
Australia
Level Contributor
9 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best snorkeling spots

Many thanks, all! Are the Yasawas nicer/better snorkel-wise than Rainbow Reef - has anyone been to both areas and can give me a comparison? I emailed Botaira Resort a week ago but haven't had a response yet, and as we want to go in early/mid August I'm keen to get something booked. I'll try again, since you say the home reef is great. We do so love to snorkel amongst tropical fish! I've emailed the other resorts, who have varying degrees of availability. Again - many thanks to all of you for your help!

Bellingen, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,212 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best snorkeling spots

Rainbow reef is off Taveuni Island to the north east of the main island and involves an internal flight and you can only snorkel it by a boat trip it is a very popular dive site can have strong currents.

Reno, Nv
Destination Expert
for Matangi Island, Fiji
Level Contributor
5,608 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best snorkeling spots

According to the website for Rainbow Reef Resort, you can snorkel the house reef. Rainbow reef is an off shore snorkeling/dive site.

Getting to Blue Lagoon Beach Resort and Botaira require a 4 to 5 hour boat ride opposed to a 1 1/2 hour flight from Nadi to Taveuni.

Bellingen, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,212 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best snorkeling spots

Just checked out the website Cathy it looks amazing. If the home reef is as good as the photos it will be fantastic. We went to Dolphin Bay Divers Retreat ages ago and the offshore snorkeling was great there, not being a diver I can't say what Rainbow Reef and the Great white wall were like but the photos were amazing. Sounds like a great holiday. Might add that to 'the bucket list'.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
426 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best snorkeling spots

Heading to Rainbow Reef Resort in a couple of months! First time to northern Fiji only stayed in the mamanuca group and coral coast. Will write a review on my return. Counting down and can't wait to snorkel and dive here as all that I have seen looks promising.

Reno, Nv
Destination Expert
for Matangi Island, Fiji
Level Contributor
5,608 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best snorkeling spots

Look forward to reading your review when you get back Jacqui.

The plane from Nadi to Taveuni is a twin engine Otter seating about 16 people. Can be an experience depending on weather. Views of the islands and water are spectacular.

Recommend packing your swimsuits and a change of clothes or two in your carryon bags. If the plane is full, there is a chance all your luggage will not make the flight with you. Happened to us two out of four flights. The rest of our luggage arrived on a later flight the same day.

Enjoy your countdown :)

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
426 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best snorkeling spots

Thanks E&CinReno had already read this somewhere about luggage being delayed some times. Is there somewhere to buy water on arrival on Taveuni before we transfer to Rainbow Reef?