We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time travel to Fiji - Sonaisali Island Resort

Whakatane, New...
2 posts
Save Topic
First time travel to Fiji - Sonaisali Island Resort

Hi there,

I am heading to Fiji at the end of August for 10 days - the first time travelling there. We are staying at Sonaisali Island Resort - does anyone have any recent feedback from this resort? It looks nice from the pictures I have seen, but I have read some mixed reviews.

Also, are there any day trips / activities / sights that anyone can recommend as a "must do". I am travelling with my family however want to scope things out for when my partner and I get a chance to go back.

Any other general advice would also be appreciated - a daily budget? taxis? etc.

Thanks a lot!

Reno, Nv
Destination Expert
for Matangi Island, Fiji
Level Contributor
5,608 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time travel to Fiji - Sonaisali Island Resort

Haven't stayed at the resort, so can't offer first hand information. Reviews for the resort are indeed very mixed. You might send a private message to posters of reviews for answers to your questions.

Have a look at the following for activities/tours at the resort.

http://www.sonaisali.com/activities1

Take sunscreen, and mosquito repellent with you. Will be pricey should you have to purchase them at the resort. For having drinks in our room/bure, we take the amount of alcohol allowed by customs in our checked luggage. Most resorts will not allow you to take your own drinks to the dining room. Can't buy our brand of choice in Fiji. You can purchase spirits at the duty free shop at the airport in Nadi. Also have your driver stop at one of the markets in Nadi for sodas, snacks, beer, etc.

Should you take chips, crackers, and other snacks with you from, be sure you declare.

For suggestions of what to take with you:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g294331-c134773/Fiji:…

Hope this helps to answer some of your questions.

Whakatane, New...
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: First time travel to Fiji - Sonaisali Island Resort

Hi, that's great advice thanks for that. The second link has quite a lot of useful information there.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,234 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time travel to Fiji - Sonaisali Island Resort

Sonaisali is a real "hit and miss" resort. Either you love it, or your hate it. I hated it.

Keeping in mind that the resort is up for sale, it's unlikely any more money will be put into it.

Admittingly I stayed there a few years ago now, but our stay was terrible. Stains on bedding, TV's that didn't work, dirty mouldy showers, hot water that didn't work, louvres that were broken, aircon that was broken, TV that didn't work, an outside spa I don't think was ever cleaned. In short a place I'd never return to, and we stayed in two types of accommodation whilst there.

On the flipside some people love it, but one thing that irks me about the place is that issues brought up well in the past still get reported as problems, showing clearly that they aren't being addressed or resolved.

Would be equal with a stay at somewhere 3 star in Australia/New Zealand in my opinion, and not worth hte money.

Sorry, but that's my honest opinion.

Reno, Nv
Destination Expert
for Matangi Island, Fiji
Level Contributor
5,608 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time travel to Fiji - Sonaisali Island Resort

You're welcome, jenna. Glad to help.

Dunedin
Destination Expert
for Mana Island, Fiji
Level Contributor
2,101 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time travel to Fiji - Sonaisali Island Resort

Agree that Sonaisali reviews are quite diverse at times. I stayed here just prior to the recent cyclone - I can't complain! Had a beachfront spa bure which was great - everything was provided, refreshed and everything 'worked'. I wanted a quiet & relaxing blob out and this is what I got. The gardens are really nice and always plenty of colour. Agree the beach is not like the white sandy beaches you'll find out on the Islands. I found the food to be fine, especially the Indian night where staff are all dressed in Indian national dress/costume. Very friendly staff. Plenty of activities and tours to choose from, day trips to Nadi etc. The swim up pool is also very popular with guests. Real mix of guests, from families, couples to senior citizens. Spa treatments were quite expensive and no air conditioning (slatted windows). Source out my review of this resort.

Rockhampton...
Level Contributor
7 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First time travel to Fiji - Sonaisali Island Resort

Hi.

We're at Sonaisali right now so please feel free to email questions.

At first view, the resort looks great. The onsite activities desk books your resort tours, most of which are very overpriced and dates and times can change at the last minute.

We're staying in a spa beach front bure and when we turned up they had double booked our room and we had to wait two hours whilst they sorted it out. We've had both cockroaches and large geckos (20 cm long easy) in our room that my partner has saved me from. Breakfast is great but it's hard to get anything that's not junk between main meal times. It's a FJD $20 cab fare to Nadi. Overall, if you're happy to just chillax and drink at a resort it'd be good. My partner and I love to explore so we found it very restrictive and ended up hiring a car. I would highly recommend the Sigatoka River Safari!! We loved it. Oh and housekeeping comes anywhere from 8 am to 5 pm.

Bellingen, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji, Mamanuca Islands, Navini Island
Level Contributor
9,212 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First time travel to Fiji - Sonaisali Island Resort

Go to an island resort with the beautiful lagoons and white sand beaches.

New South Wales...
Destination Expert
for Fiji, New South Wales, Australian Capital Territory
Level Contributor
4,091 posts
275 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First time travel to Fiji - Sonaisali Island Resort

<<We've had both cockroaches and large geckos (20 cm long easy) in our room that my partner has saved me from>>

Hate to let you in on a little secret SNC - you will get those (and worse) in even the very BEST resorts in Fiji. The joys of open air tropical living............. In fact, we kinda look forward to spotting our resident geckos in our accommodation - let's us know something is eating the mozzies :) We even give them nicknames - at the very lovely Toberua resort we had "Big Mon" - but no mozzies in our bure!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Denarau Island
Level Contributor
2,131 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First time travel to Fiji - Sonaisali Island Resort

Love the geckos! Can live without the cockies, but it's all part of the charm.

10. Re: First time travel to Fiji - Sonaisali Island Resort

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 July 2014, 05:18