We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkeling in Fiji

san diego
Level Contributor
56 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Snorkeling in Fiji

I have started to pick the islands in Fiji we want to visit for snorkeling with the help of many of you who gave me advice. Thank you all. At this point we plan to do 5 days on the boat Tui Tai and 5 nights in Taveuni. That's as far as I've gotten. We need a few more stops. We are looking for snorkeling at healthy reefs, under $200 a night, a small town/cultural center and other fun activities to do. We have been considering some of the Yasawas Islands, but they seem very small with only the beach as the extent of activities (my husband would get bored). We also do not want to pay lots of money getting from one island to another, thus the idea of the Yasawas. Okay, fire away, tell me you ideas. and thanks once again.

Bellingen, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji, Mamanuca Islands, Navini Island
Level Contributor
8,918 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snorkeling in Fiji

For great Yasawa snorkeling have a look at Botaira, The reef is a marine sanctuary with a huge variety of healthy coral, fish and giant clams Fijian owned and run would be good for a few days to snorkel,you can walk to the village or to the top of the ridge for amazing views of the southern Yasawa Group, basic resort with a good beach.

Reno, Nv
Destination Expert
for Matangi Island, Fiji
Level Contributor
5,461 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Snorkeling in Fiji

Have you decided on a resort on Taveuni? How many days are you looking to spend in the Yasawas? If you looking at 5 days, suggest staying at one resort. Wouldn't want to waste time packing, unpacking and traveling between islands.

Have a look at the website for Octopus Resort. It is a favorite resort of TaiMarilyn, regular poster on this forum. Am sure she will respond, if she sees your posting. The garden bures, and premium bures are under $200 a night. Lots of activities to keep you occupied or not.

Awesome Adventures offer ferry service to to the Yasawas. Have a look at their website for schedules to the islands, and contact them for prices. Depending on length of stay they have packages to visit several resorts.

www.awesomefiji.com/about-who-we-are.aspx

Keep in mind, if you are heading to Yasawas after leaving Taveuni, you will probably have to overnight on the mainland before heading to the Yasawas.

Hope this helps.

New South Wales...
Destination Expert
for Fiji, New South Wales, Australian Capital Territory
Level Contributor
4,043 posts
260 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Snorkeling in Fiji

You are unlikely to find much in the way of small town/cultural centre on the more remote islands. Villages and authentic experiences - certainly - but not much else besides the natural environment & whatever the resorts have on offer.

Perhaps somewhere like Ratu Kini Resort on Mana Island would suit. Great snorkelling and access to a range of activites plus you are on a larger island with other resorts. Mana Island resort itself may even be within budget??

Wellington
Level Contributor
349 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Snorkeling in Fiji

I can certainly recommend the snorkeling and the resort at Octopus, on Waya island.

There is also a tour available to the adjacent village (about 30 minutes walk away, over a hill) that runs on two days of the week. The Yasawa flyer stops in twice a day, as does the resorts own boat.

One of the appeals of this place (apart from the smiles,the great food, the laid back atmosphere, the great food, the pleasant basic and not-so basic accommodations, the great food, and the range of guests-they cater for a good range of budgets and all ages) is that the snorkeling is good right off the beach. You swim out through the boat channel (they ask you to do this so as not to stand on the coral which they're protective of) for about 1 or 2 minutes, and it's all there. Teeming with life.

san diego
Level Contributor
56 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Snorkeling in Fiji

That sound like what I'm looking for, thanks so much

san diego
Level Contributor
56 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Snorkeling in Fiji

We are staying at the Coconut Grove, got the Bure on the beach. We have 7 days to fill, so we want 2 islands. Looks like we will most likely do Botaira as one of them. Thank you

san diego
Level Contributor
56 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Snorkeling in Fiji

And yes, we are using Awesome Adventures

san diego
Level Contributor
56 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Snorkeling in Fiji

Would it be difficult to go between Botaira and Mana? One of the major reasons for The Yasawa Islands is the big yellow boat. We don't want to keep going back to the airport and pay several airline fees.

Reno, Nv
Destination Expert
for Matangi Island, Fiji
Level Contributor
5,461 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Snorkeling in Fiji

Can't get from Botaira to Mana without returning to the mainland. Can get to Botaira with Awesome Adventures, but they do not go to Mana. South Seas Cruises goes to Mana, Will probably have to overnight on the mainland going between the two islands unless you take the 24 hour water taxi to Mana from Denarau......pricey.

Information is on their websites.

www.awesomefiji.com/FerryTimetable.aspx

http://www.ssc.com.fj/irc_timetable.aspx

The plane flying form Nadi to Taveuni is a Twin Engine Otter seating about 16 people. Views of the islands and water is spectacular. If the plane is full, there is a chance all your luggage will not make the flight with you. Happened two us two out of four flights. The rest of our luggage arrived on a later flight the same day. Coming from the states you will need an adapter angled for Australia for charging camera, laptop batteries. We also take a small power strip. Allows us to charge more than one battery at the same time. For other suggestions of what to take with you:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g294331-c134773/Fiji:…

There is a small grocery store, liquor store, and if memory serves , a restaurant very close to Matei Airport on Taveuni, if you want to pick up some supplies.

Lots to do on Taveuni: Lavena Coast Walk, Bouma Water Falls hike, and Peckham Pearl Farm, and others.

The Entrance...
Level Contributor
495 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Snorkeling in Fiji

There was a post from 2011, sorry I cant post the link from my IPad but search Mana Island Yasawas, it says that you can get a speedboat from Mana to Beachcomber Island and then pick up the Yasawa Flyer from there.

I would love to know if anyone has had any experience doing it this way? I am keen to avoid going back to the mainland for a night but like the look of Mana and would love to return to Octopus for our next trip. Thanks for your assistance :)