We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whale Sharks?

Essex/London
Level Contributor
16 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Whale Sharks?

Hi

I'm just starting to plan a trip to Fiji and probably a few other South Pacific islands. I would love to see both Whale Sharks and Mantas during the trip and have been able to find loads of info on Mantas in Fiji but nothing about Whale Sharks. Basically I want to find out what the best season would be so we can time our trip right, internet searches haven't really found anything but I know they pass through the area! Common sense would tell me it would be a similar season to Mantas due to plankton blooms but is there anywhere in particular which has a good chance of spotting them? Can anyone help? If not likely to see them in Fiji is there anywhere else in the South Pacific?

Thanks!

Amy

New South Wales...
Destination Expert
for Fiji, New South Wales, Australian Capital Territory
Level Contributor
4,055 posts
260 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Whale Sharks?

Bumping this. Any divers/locals/others out there that know anything on this subject????

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Yasawa Islands
Level Contributor
2,090 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Whale Sharks?

There's a couple of videos on YouTube relating to whale sharks, loaded b y Matava Resort, Kadavu, and by Ovalau Watersports - maybe contact them?

Bellingen, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji, Mamanuca Islands, Navini Island
Level Contributor
9,025 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Whale Sharks?

In Australia they migrate May to October so should be the same in Fiji. Have heard of people seeing them of the east coast of Fiji and very occasionaly the west coast, were told of a sighting by a tourist on the Yasawa Flyer last year he was returning from a Yasawa island resort.

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
489 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Whale Sharks?

Whale sharks are amazing...something every one should be lucky enough to experience at least once in a lifetime. The problem with trying to see them is that they generally are not hanging out on the reef...one has to go searching for them in open water. So....if you want to see whale sharks you need to go on a "whale shark" trip. Unfortunately, if you don't find them, you won't see much else either. I spend most of our time diving in the Caribbean so I don't know where or when the best time to see them in the Pacific is. But, wherever you go, be prepared that even the best tour companies can not ever guarantee a sighting, and you might spend the entire day trying to track them down only to get skunked.

Mantas on the other hand do hang out on the reef, but they are very unpredictable as well. We have been lucky enough to encounter them a few times while diving, but our best encounter with one was in 10 feet of water right off the beach in front of our hotel!

So, I guess what I'm saying is that go searching for these creatures with your fingers crossed and your eyes open, but don't be too disappointed if you don't get to see them. That's what makes a sighting so spectacular!

Happy diving!!!

5. Re: Whale Sharks?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 July 2014, 05:19