We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to book you holiday. Package deal vs booking direct

Brisbane
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Best way to book you holiday. Package deal vs booking direct

Just curious, regulars to Fiji, how do you book your holidays, package deals or do you book your flights, accommodation yourself? I've seen some package deals which I think is cheap but I wonder if I can get a better deal by doing the bookings directly with the resort, airlines etc. eg. Just saw flights, 5 nights mana, 2 nadi, transfers for $1290 aud per person. Seems reasonable ? Our first trip to Fiji was through a package deal.

Reno, Nv
Destination Expert
for Matangi Island, Fiji
Level Contributor
5,541 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best way to book you holiday. Package deal vs booking direct

We get prices from travel agents, then contact resorts and airlines for prices. Sometimes better with a TA, other times booking with the resort and our airfare separately was a better deal.

Edited: 06 August 2013, 02:29
Dunedin
Destination Expert
for Mana Island, Fiji
Level Contributor
2,030 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best way to book you holiday. Package deal vs booking direct

Depends on what time of the year you plan to go - is any food (or even breakfast) included in your price? If not, this can add quite a bit to your 'budget' The deal does look quite inviting. Looking at everything separately if booking yourself; $2380AUD equates to around $4030FJ - An island bure (cheapest grade of accommodation) on Mana is around $432FJ p/n (5 nights say $2160FJ inc. 20% taxes) 2 nights Nadi say $90FJ pp/n ($180FJ) transfers say $259FJ total; leaving around $1430FJ ($843UD left for airfares). At times, but not always, it is cheaper to book direct, then you have a choice. If you are a returnee to any resort, they will often consider a discount. Mana Island will be closed 23 Nov - 14 Dec 2013 for Schoolies Weeks.

New South Wales...
Destination Expert
for Fiji, New South Wales, Australian Capital Territory
Level Contributor
4,060 posts
260 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best way to book you holiday. Package deal vs booking direct

Depends where you're going and the deals available. Sometimes we book direct and other times there are deals that are just too good to beat. I think the wholesalers get the bargains in the airfare component by purchasing blocks of fares then marketing them. Other agencies only deal with a select few resorts and are able to offer great deals with lots of extras but only at those resorts and include added bonuses that you can't obtain with a direct booking.

We've stayed at over a dozen resorts all over Fiji and have only ever booked one place direct (that was a resort that doesn't generally deal with booking companies) and I am yet to find a better direct deal than I have been able to get through my preferred wholesalers. Just have to match the right agency with the resort you want to stay at. Plus you have the added security of an agency booking should something go wrong. Have seen some horror stories on the forums with regard to bookings made direct then resorts folding prior to their holiday and owners disappearing with all the money......

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Yasawa Islands
Level Contributor
2,100 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best way to book you holiday. Package deal vs booking direct

It also depends on the type of place you prefer. Deals are mostly (always?) for the big hotels. Personally I would never stay at them, preferring the smaller places, which I book myself. And as Flicarose says, you will probably not have food included in the deal, which can add greatly to the cost. And if you want to stay beyond the number of days offered in the deal that is often not possible.

Seaford Rise...
Level Contributor
132 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best way to book you holiday. Package deal vs booking direct

I look at Expedia and other sites, then get the prices to my lovely travel agent who always betters what I could get myself. Then I have the reassuarnce of the TA booking. Sometimes the airlines have specials so good, it is better to book your flights first then wait for a 50% sale on accomodation to come up.

6. Re: Best way to book you holiday. Package deal vs booking direct

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 August 2014, 06:20