We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

island with teenage boys

Port Macquarie...
Level Contributor
4 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
island with teenage boys

going to Fiji next year which island would be best with 12 & 14 yr old boys needs to be near surf

The Entrance...
Level Contributor
492 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: island with teenage boys

My brother (a bit older than a teenager :) stays at Plantation Island to have access to surf breaks and have good resort facilities for his family, from what I understand though, some of the breaks are more for experienced surfers. I am pretty sure there is also surf on the coral coast and my cousins stayed at Hideaway Resort to surf there. Mostly though they will need to travel by boat and spend several hours in open water before they get picked up again as there is no surf directly from shore in either place. Hopefully someone with more experience will be able to help you out further (or correct me). Enjoy your planning :)

Port Macquarie...
Level Contributor
4 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: island with teenage boys

thanks, that is very helpful

Waitakere City, New...
Destination Expert
for Mamanuca Islands
Level Contributor
2,590 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: island with teenage boys

I came across this info while reading Lomani reviews...

"For Surfers a boat left from Plantation Resort jetty and my husband paid about $70.00 Fijian, (about $47.00 australian), during our stay two surf trips went out each day..."

Which means you have a few options - you could stay at Plantation (very family with young kids orientated, have a read of the reviews) or Musket Cove or you could rent a house or villa on the island such as Reef House.

http://www.afijiholiday.com/

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
387 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: island with teenage boys

Natadola beach (on the mainland) is a popular surf beach.... It is the only beach I know of that you can surf directly from the shore.... Some days are really flat with no waves, other days crazy dangerous for experienced surfers only, but there are also days where it is perfect for the less experienced surfers... You will need to keep an eye on surfing forecasts to get the right day depending on your boys level of surfing... There aren't any lifeguards on the beach, so if your boys get into trouble out in the water their only help will come from other surfers or onlookers.... They will also need to bring their own boards...

As klh75 said, most surfing in Fiji is for experienced surfers... To surf on outter islands & beaches along the coral coast your boys will need to get a boat out (organised by resort)... So it really depends on how experienced your boys are for this... If they aren't that experienced, diving & jet skiing can be just as much fun :)

5. Re: island with teenage boys

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 August 2014, 06:21