We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help please - 4 wk trip to East Coast Australia, NZ & Fiji?

London, United...
Level Contributor
130 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Help please - 4 wk trip to East Coast Australia, NZ & Fiji?

Hi,

Hope you can help... I am from the UK and am planning a 4 week trip to Australia, NZ and Fiji... I am unsure of how much I can actually fit in in 4 weeks so that's where I need some help. I have come up with the following options:

a) Start in north island NZ, cover that and the south island NZ, then fly over to Cairns and make my way down to Melbourne (or Sydney if I can't fit Melbourne in). The plan would be to spend approx 2 weeks in NZ and the remaining 2 weeks in Australia.

b) Start in Melbourne and make my way up to Cairns. After that, fly to South Island NZ and thereafter spend the remaining 5 days or so relaxing in Fiji.

What do people think? I've also broken my itinerary down day by day as per below - any suggestions or advice on this? I would obviously love to see both islands in NZ but given time is limited a lot of people have said to skip the north island. Also, I've not had a holiday in 10 months (!!) so really would like 5 days to chill in one place, hopefully somewhere hot by a beach and not move! Hence I thought maybe Fiji would be a good place to do this. If not then maybe see both islands of NZ and relax in either Sydney or Melbourne at the end for 5 days?

I also have a few questions:

1. Can I do a dive in the great barrier reef whilst doing the trip to see the whitsunday islands? Or do I need to do this from Cairns?

2. Do I need to book the boat trip to see the whitsunday islands in advance from the UK or can I book this when I get there? Or does it get fully booked? Do they go everyday? Do they have showers on the boat?! If I do want that, does it mean I simply upgrade to a nicer boat? How many nights on the boat would you recommend?

2. To see Fraser island, how many nights on the boat would you recommend? Again, does this need to be booked in advance from the UK or can I book this when I get there or is this fully booked? Are there showers on the boat? Are there nicer boats with showers? How many nights would you suggest I need?

3. I am a 32 yr old female traveller and will be travelling alone (I've travelled around South America, Central America and South East Asia alone already. Whilst I do want to meet people along the way, I'm not your average backpacker and will be taking a suitcase on holiday. However as much as I don't need a 5 star hotel, I would like to have a basic, clean bedroom with a private bathroom. Any recommendations of places to stay? Private room in a hostal, vs. motel/hotal?

I really need to book flights asap so if you do have any advice, please let me know!

NEW ZEALAND

Day 1

Arrive in Aukland – Night 1 in Aukland

Day 2

Night 2 in Aukland

Day 3

To Bay of Islands – Night 1

Day 4

Night 2 in Bay of Islands

Day 5

To Aukland and fly to Queenstown – Night 1

Day 6

Night 2 in Queenstown

Day 7

Night 3 in Queenstown

Day 8

To Franz Josef – Night 1

Day 9

Night 2 in Franz Josef

Day 10

Night 3 in Franz Josef

Day 11

To Kaiteriteri (Abel Tasman Nat Pk) – Night 1

Day 12

Night 2 in Kaiteriteri

Day 13

To Wellington – Night 1

AUSTRALIA

Day 14

Fly from Wellington to Cairns - Night 1

Day 15

To Airlie Beach - Night 1

Day 16

Whitsundays Boat Trip - Night 1

Day 17

Whitsundays Boat Trip - Night 2

Day 18

To Rainbow Beach - Night 1

Day 19

Fraser Island - Night 1

Day 20

Fraser Island - Night 2

Day 21

Fraser Island - Night 3

Day 22

To Byron Bay - Night 1

Day 23

Byron Bay - Night 2

Day 24

To Brisbane for flight to Sydney - Night 1

Day 25

Sydney - Night 2

Day 26

Fly from Sydney to Melbourne - Night 1

Day 27

Melbourne - Night 2

Day 28

Fly back to London

Thanks,

Nina

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,234 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help please - 4 wk trip to East Coast Australia, NZ & Fiji?

I wouldn't concentrate on Byron or Fraser Island too much at all.

There is FAR more to see in Australia, and honestly you aren't leaving yourself enough time in key areas in states.

You'd be better planning to fly from NZ to MELB, spend a few days in and around Melb (if you have time the Great Ocean Road trip (about 2 days) is absolutely stunning).

From MELB - SYD (flights are plentiful), and check out Sydney harbour area and Blue Mountains as well as Taronga Zoo over a few days.

From SYD - BRISBANE (or you can actually fly direct to Whitsundays / Hamilton island from SYD). Spend some time around there.

From WHITSUNDAYS to BRISBANE (overnight) then out to FIJI. Most places fly direct Brisbane to FIJI and it's the shorter route given the flight pattern the planes take.

Australia is plentiful in it's accommodation options. $200 a night (or there abouts) gets you in some really deecnt places.

Hope this helps though it is a very broad question you are asking, but if it was me that is how I'd do it.

Then fly from FIJI to ?? and transfer over to UK... not sure if Fiji Airways fly direct to UK.

London, United...
Level Contributor
130 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help please - 4 wk trip to East Coast Australia, NZ & Fiji?

Thanks, this is really helpful! I didn't realise you can fly directly from Sydney to the whitsunday islands. So perhaps a few days in Melbourne say 3 nights, 3-4 nights in Sydney, then how long to cover the whitsundays,Frazer island and the great barrier reef? Is it with seeing noosa and Byron bay as well?

So from there can I get to NZ? Have you been there? Would you recommend going to both north and south island? How long do you think I need in NZ? It's only based on that I would go to Fiji to relax for the last few days. If not, then I'm happy to concentrate that time on NZ. If I am only doing NZ and Oz then I think it might be better to do the trip the other way around so that I can relax at the end in either Melbourne or Sydney? I'd need to get my flight back to London from either city.

Many thanks in advance for your help:)

London, United...
Level Contributor
130 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help please - 4 wk trip to East Coast Australia, NZ & Fiji?

Thanks, this is really helpful! I didn't realise you can fly directly from Sydney to the whitsunday islands. So perhaps a few days in Melbourne say 3 nights, 3-4 nights in Sydney, then how long to cover the whitsundays,Frazer island and the great barrier reef? Is it with seeing noosa and Byron bay as well?

So from there can I get to NZ? Have you been there? Would you recommend going to both north and south island? How long do you think I need in NZ? It's only based on that I would go to Fiji to relax for the last few days. If not, then I'm happy to concentrate that time on NZ. If I am only doing NZ and Oz then I think it might be better to do the trip the other way around so that I can relax at the end in either Melbourne or Sydney? I'd need to get my flight back to London from either city.

Many thanks in advance for your help:)

London, United...
Level Contributor
130 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help please - 4 wk trip to East Coast Australia, NZ & Fiji?

PS 200 AUS is 117 GBP. Unfortunately that's far too much for me as I'm one person, travelling alone for 28 days!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,234 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help please - 4 wk trip to East Coast Australia, NZ & Fiji?

How much AUD / GBP per night are you budgeting ?

That will also help us all recommend some places in Fiji for you.

I've never been to NZ so unable to answer that question, but been around Eastern Coastline, NSW country, Victoria, Qld.

By the way, looks like to get from Fiji back to London you'll need to stopover somewhere (Dubai/Singapore/Los Angeles), as nobody flies direct.

That being the case, if you wanted to maximise your flights, perhaps look at:

LONDON > NZ

NZ > FIJI

FIJI > BRISBANE/SYD (you can go direct to either)

SYD/MEL/BRIS > LONDON

Downside means in order to maximise your flights Fiji will have to fit in the centre of both major countries.

Then again the water and beaches in some areas in Fiji, nothing in Australia can rival.

London, United...
Level Contributor
130 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help please - 4 wk trip to East Coast Australia, NZ & Fiji?

Hmm that certainly requires some thought. the difficulty I'm finding is someone that's been to all three. Ideally Id prefer to save fiji to the end if I am going there so I can simply chill and do nothing before heading back to work in winter in London! However if im tight for time then I'm sure I can find a nice beach near to chill out. Or how about to start in NZ, then Sydney and work my way up to cairns and finish near whitsundays?

Budget wise maybe 30gbp per night if not less? I don't mind hostels but would like my own room and bathroom!

Any advice?!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,234 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help please - 4 wk trip to East Coast Australia, NZ & Fiji?

Hmm tricky one ... that is a very low budget as even Ibis Budget is $68 AUD per night, and that's a budget hotel chain.

I'm not really up on the budget side of things.... but that budget may even be an issue for Fiji.

Lets see what the other regulars come up with, as there are some excellent regulars on here from Australia with extensive experience.

Edited: 22 September 2013, 12:09
London, United...
Level Contributor
130 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help please - 4 wk trip to East Coast Australia, NZ & Fiji?

Well I'm not on a backpacker budget but something in between the two? Budget is flexible but first I need to sort out the itinerary so that I can book my flight. It would be great if someone has been to both oz and nz.

9. Re: Help please - 4 wk trip to East Coast Australia, NZ & Fiji?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 September 2014, 06:20