We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel to Fiji - Duty Free Carry on Alcohol

Raymond Terrace...
Level Contributor
1,114 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Travel to Fiji - Duty Free Carry on Alcohol

Travelling to Fiji at the end of October. Would like to take some duty free alcohol with me but will most likely have to purchase at the airport as I don't think I'll have time to go to the duty free shop beforehand.

Can I purchase duty free alcohol at the airport and take it on the flight with me as carry on? Or should I purchase at the shop before security/immigration and collect it from the gate?

My recent knowledge of this practice is virtually nil as I normally purchase and collect duty free alcohol on my return to Australia, but since we'll be staying in a self catering apartment I'd like to take some with me for drinkies on the verandah each night.

Any info appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
Fiji
Fiji
South Pacific
Tea Gardens...
Destination Expert
for Mana Island
Level Contributor
1,761 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel to Fiji - Duty Free Carry on Alcohol

There are two duty free shops, Prouds and Tapoo in the arrival hall at Nadi airport which are open for every flight. You can purchase you alcohol there and take it with you through Customs. You will be paying in Fiji dollars and I have found it to be cheaper than buying it back home.

Mentioned in this post
Nadi
Nadi
Viti Levu, Fiji
Fiji
Fiji
South Pacific
New Zealand
Destination Expert
for Mamanuca Islands
Level Contributor
2,777 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel to Fiji - Duty Free Carry on Alcohol

Like Manaregular says so much cheaper in Fiji so long as they have what you want (send them an email and ask if you prefer a specific brand - E&C has their email addy or I can dig it up if you want).

Can't you buy on-line and then collect after customs? I do that if there's anything that I want to take with us (but I'm in NZ, unsure if you have that available in Auz).

PS - the general verdict is that if you're a wine drinker and happy with the cask stuff it's better to pack your allowance into your checked luggage and simply declare it once you arrive. Wine is ridiculously expensive in Fiji.

Mentioned in this post
Fiji
Fiji
South Pacific
Reno, Nv
Destination Expert
for Matangi Island, Fiji
Level Contributor
5,732 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel to Fiji - Duty Free Carry on Alcohol

Here is the link for Tappoo duty free at the airport in Nadi. They were very prompt in answering our replies as to what brands they carried and prices. We can't purchase our brand of choice in Fiji, so take the amount allowed by customs in our checked luggage. We also had our driver stop at one of the markets in Nadi to pick up second choice for having drinks in our room/bure. Know most resorts will not allow you to take your own drinks into the dining room. Some allow wine, but charge a corkage fee.

info@tappoo.com.fj

Should you decide to take liquor in your checked luggage, the following has the amounts you are allowed.

http://www.airportsfiji.com/nadi_customs.php

For other suggestions of what to take when holidaying to Fiji:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g294331-c134773/Fiji:…

Mentioned in this post
Nadi
Nadi
Viti Levu, Fiji
Fiji
Fiji
South Pacific
New Zealand
Destination Expert
for Mamanuca Islands
Level Contributor
2,777 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel to Fiji - Duty Free Carry on Alcohol

And if you want top take more than your allowance (I'm talking about wine here, not to sure about spirits) or you want to get duty free spirits but also take wine you can still do that. Just pack the wine into your checked luggage and declare that you have extra. They have a formula to work out the extra duty you have to pay and it still works out cheaper than buying from the resorts. Of course if you're really lucky and get a nice customs officer they might just say "Have a nice day" and let you through... happened to us. :)

Hunter Valley, New...
Level Contributor
49 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel to Fiji - Duty Free Carry on Alcohol

Probably easiest to buy at Nadi airport on arrival, and you shouldnt have any problems, I have always done it that way, and never had anything queried at their customs etc. Happy holiday

Mentioned in this post
Nadi
Nadi
Viti Levu, Fiji
Ballarat, Australia
Level Contributor
2,460 posts
292 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel to Fiji - Duty Free Carry on Alcohol

In Fiji last May and found that what Dianz and Mana are saying is true. Duty free at Nadi Airport is cheaper then it was at Tullamarine. In relation to wine, I happened to stumble on a couple of bottles of New Zealand Sav Blanc that were on special and a very good price. They were to die for however I bought 3 and there was only a couple left so I dare say they are gone now;) Having said would you consider packing and declaring a 2 litre cask of your favourite tipple

Cheers

Baz

Mentioned in this post
Fiji
Fiji
South Pacific
Nadi
Nadi
Viti Levu, Fiji
Raymond Terrace...
Level Contributor
1,114 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel to Fiji - Duty Free Carry on Alcohol

I drink Malibu rum and I've found that a lot of airports don't stock it (you can't get it at KLIA for example) so I thought about taking some with me. Thanks for the info, especially the email address - I've sent an email asking if I can purchase Malibu on arrival. Hopefully I can - if not, I'll buy some before I leave.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for Mamanuca Islands
Level Contributor
2,777 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel to Fiji - Duty Free Carry on Alcohol

Oh yeah Baz! We make great Sav Blanc here in the long cloud country!! My fav! Almost impossible to get hold of a good savie in Fiji.

Mentioned in this post
Fiji
Fiji
South Pacific
Ballarat, Australia
Level Contributor
2,460 posts
292 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travel to Fiji - Duty Free Carry on Alcohol

To true Dianz - I think I really did fluke that one. Was rather proud of myself it the truth be known.

baz

Raymond Terrace...
Level Contributor
1,114 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Travel to Fiji - Duty Free Carry on Alcohol

Just got an email from the duty free shop at Nadi International Airport. Price, for my item anyway, is more expensive there than at the duty free shop in Sydney.

Mentioned in this post
Nadi
Nadi
Viti Levu, Fiji
Sydney
Sydney
New South Wales, Australia