We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Food in Fiji - supermarkets etc

Shellharbour
Level Contributor
60 posts
Save Topic
Food in Fiji - supermarkets etc

Hi,

On the countdown now (woohoo!)

Just wondering with the supermarkets in Fiji (I hear there's a decent(ish) one in Nadi somewhere?) are they like supermarkets in Australia? Do they sell a lot of the same items we have? My 5 yo is super fussy and I don't know what I can/can't bring in and what I won't have to as I'll be able to get it at the supermarket when we arrive. (I've looked at the meal plans on our islands and there isn't a great deal he will eat).

Mainly things like wraps (mountain bread type ones), museli bars, vegemite, cereals etc - are these all sold at the supermarkets there?

Any tips re food to bring/what they sell are appreciated thanks.

Reno, Nv
Destination Expert
for Matangi Island, Fiji
Level Contributor
5,329 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Food in Fiji - supermarkets etc

For markets around Nadi, and what they carry:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g612490-i10704-k67…

The following posting has foods you are allowed/not allowed to bring into Fiji. Be sure to declare any food items you take with you.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g612490-i10704-k68…

Hope this helps.

Dunedin
Destination Expert
for Mana Island, Fiji
Level Contributor
1,902 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Food in Fiji - supermarkets etc

As E&CinReno advises look up the link to previous postings for an overview. If your child is a fussy eater I would definitely be bringing his favourite things from home (sealed and unopened). Anything imported from NZ/Australia/elsewhere is extremely expensive in Fiji supermarkets (if they do actually stock it). Daily necessities (cereals,noodles etc.) are all made locally, prices reflecting what locals can afford. I can't recall seeing any vegemite/marmite, but if you can find it - very expensive. It is usually not an option that fresh bread of any kind is available for purchase on the outer islands. Milk is normally 'long life'.

Waitakere City, New...
Destination Expert
for Mamanuca Islands
Level Contributor
2,578 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Food in Fiji - supermarkets etc

The foods you've mentioned are all things you can take with you. Pack them in your checked luggage if you take vegemite, it's considered a paste so not allowable in hand luggage. If you intend to take noodles don't take the chicken flavoured ones, they'll most likely get confiscated. Also take a container of some sort to store your food in so that you're not encouraging any unwanted 'visitors'.

Kilcoy, Australia
Level Contributor
101 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Food in Fiji - supermarkets etc

here are two YouTube videos that show you what the supermarkets are like in Fiji

1st one is the supermarket at Port Denarau

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwHs-WzLDnA

2nd one is the New World Supermarket 5mins drive from Nadi Airport

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOPIXy9bj_A

hope this helps you

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
745 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Food in Fiji - supermarkets etc

Lis, Where are you staying? If your child eats cereal, most breakfasts at resorts offer this. Also toast is on offer. We took our own vegemite ( I am addicted to that stuff).We declared that and the dry biscuits, no trouble. You can get Roti bread at all sorts of places. Roti is abit like mountain bread. Check out the info others have offered. Take 'snap lock' bags for storage. Take up little space in luggage, also good for dirty washing.

But rest assured the Fijian people are very accomodating.

Enjoy your trip .

Edited: 12 October 2013, 12:37
Shellharbour
Level Contributor
60 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Food in Fiji - supermarkets etc

thanks guys! helps heaps! Don't know what I'd do without you

Ballarat, Australia
Level Contributor
1,965 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Food in Fiji - supermarkets etc

When we stayed at Naviti on the Coral Coast and Plantation Island Resort, cereals and bread for toast were there on the breakfast buffet. Also they had the small single serve containers of butter, jam marmalade and vegemite without a problem.

You could email your question to your resort and see what sort of response you get re the Vegemite question..

Cheers

Baz

8. Re: Food in Fiji - supermarkets etc

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 October 2014, 05:18