We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

savusavu or yasawas???

Auckland Region...
Level Contributor
41 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
savusavu or yasawas???

We are trying to plan a trip to Fiji next May for our tenth anniversary. With us will be our six year old, three year old and one year old. They are great travellers and we are not too worried about kids clubs on our tight budget. We have had a stressful few years and basically want to get away from it all and spend time together. We love snorkeling and swimming and relaxing. Soo...

3 weeks savusavu

Or

15 days botaira

Or

10 days botaira and ten or 14 days Viti levy coral coast or elsewhere

We want to be away for a longer stretch but also on a tight budget and want to be somewhere nice and relaxing.

Suggestions please?

Pacific Harbour...
Level Contributor
345 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: savusavu or yasawas???

I love Boitera but I was ready to go after a few days and especially if I had children. It was very quiet and mostly just couples who stayed by themselves. I would go there for a true Fijian experience but I would also look at octopus and blue lagoon. Castaway is nice but much more expensive. You might also look at paradise cove

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Yasawa Islands
Level Contributor
1,972 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: savusavu or yasawas???

Yasawas wins hands-down over Savusavu for swimming, snorkelling...... I would second the suggestion of Blue Lagoon Beach Resort. Wonderful beach, safe for children. They have good 2 bedroom Garden villas, but if budget is a consideration then you could all fit into an ordinary Garden villa. Octopus also good, better snorkelling there but beach not as good for small children. Paradise Cove is great but by May they will be out of their opening special pricing so not low budget. PM me if you'd like more detail.

Savusavu, Fiji
Level Contributor
9 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: savusavu or yasawas???

If you want to get trapped into the resort style or party type experience yasawas, but if you want maybe a private rental, own meals or eat in town or house girl to cook and choose activities then Savusavu definitely the place. Very chilled. Totally different experiences. 3 weeks is a long time. Maybe mix it up with coral coast and Savusavu? We live in Savusavu, did you guess feel free to ask questions.

Bellingen, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji, Mamanuca Islands, Navini Island
Level Contributor
8,592 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: savusavu or yasawas???

Read the reviews of Botaira on this site, many people have taken their children and they have had a great time. It is never long enough there for us. If you like to snorkel you won't find better. The staff are amazing with children.

Boquete, Panama
Level Contributor
14 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: savusavu or yasawas???

We spent four days in SavuSavu and a week at Blue Lagoon Resort . No comparison as Savusavu was only mediocre snorkeling and no beaches to speak of unless you go to the very pricey Michael Cousteau resort. Blue Lagoon was the perfect place for famlies and since you have so much time , I would recommend ferry hopping to two or three resorts in the Yasawas so that you have different reefs to snorkel. The Yasawas are the picture postcard paradise islands in real life!

BC, Canada
Level Contributor
71 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: savusavu or yasawas???

We loved Octopus, which is in the Yasawas, and we didn't find it resort or party style at all. It was a laid back, true Fijian experience. The staff was awesome, the snorkeling was incredible, the food was delicious. They also have a pool, and some activities (hermit crab races, village visits, etc). With as much time as you have, I would check out a few islands, and Octopus would make a great stop :)

7. Re: savusavu or yasawas???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 December 2014, 06:18