We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fiji Airways......Help!!

Newcastle, Australia
5 posts
Save Topic
Fiji Airways......Help!!

Can anyone tell me positive things about 'Fiji Airways'? We are booked with them to travel from Syd to Nadi and I can't find anything good, I even found an article about an engine catching alight :( This is our first overseas holidays with kids so OMG....Positives!?!!?

Melbourne
Level Contributor
195 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fiji Airways......Help!!

Amy don't be too disheartened.

We have flown with air pacific on three trips and only experienced one delay due to a passenger disappearing after check in, which meant they had to remove his bag.

The food is nothing fancy, but it's a short flight and we usually eat beforehand. Food on any flight is not a priority for us!

Staff have always been very friendly and helpful.

We always take our own iPad iPhones and books to entertain ourselves in case inflight screens don't work, which has happened on one flight.

Baggage check in and collection has always been a smooth process.

We fly with air pacific for the overnight flight so we don't lose a whole day travelling. Our last trip we had our 2yo niece with us and for a first timer she travelled well.

My advice... Don't stress the small things, relax and enjoy!!

Cindy

Newcastle, Australia
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Fiji Airways......Help!!

Thanks Cindy,

I am generally a nervous flyer so I will stop 'googling' I think and just look forward to my holiday :)

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
803 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fiji Airways......Help!!

Amy relax, Fiji airways are fine. We have flown with them on several occasions and everything went to plan. When we saw the check in queue we thought " oh no" but it moved very fast. All the flights we have been on, with Fiji Airways, were full and it all seemed to work like clock work. The food is nothing to rave about but we don't go on holidays for aeroplane food, its about the destination. Take your own food/snacks as Cindy says its not a long flight. The flight attendants are always friendly and have witnessed them assisting with small children and older people.You are going to Fiji !! Its a wonderful place with wonderful people. Don't sweat the small stuff.

Bron

Ballarat, Australia
Level Contributor
2,270 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fiji Airways......Help!!

Hi Amy,

Seriously my only issue with Fiji Air (Air Pacific) was the food. Otherwise service and trips have been fine. My issue has been with Virgin. Will never darken their door step again or would take a bloody good deal to get me on one of their planes again.

Have a great trip

Baz

Bellingen, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji, Mamanuca Islands, Navini Island
Level Contributor
9,094 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fiji Airways......Help!!

Stop worrying, if you are lucky you will get one of the brand new planes but the older ones are fine too. Any airline can have issues now and then. Go and enjoy beautiful Fiji.

Victoria
Level Contributor
302 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fiji Airways......Help!!

Flown with them six times, no issues at all.

Raymond Terrace...
Level Contributor
1,085 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fiji Airways......Help!!

Just returned from a holiday in Fiji flying with Fiji Airways - seriously good airline to fly with, no complaints at all. Wouldn't hesitate to fly with them again.

Wellington
Level Contributor
350 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fiji Airways......Help!!

We've flown twice this year NAD_AKL with Fiji Airlines. First on their nice new A330, second on an old 737.

I was expecting the Boeing to be a bit cramped and tired, but it was actually roomy, and a very good flight. Actually, the older aircraft, with its older "fatter" seats, may have been more comfortable than the new one. I'm not a fan of those space-saver seats with no padding.

Both flights were no problem at all. Interactions with check-in, cabin crew, and over the phone were clear, friendly and helpful.

The food isn't the best, but then, neither is a lot of airline food, and lets face it: the tickets are cheap as chips. I'm not about to whinge about the food. (It's all about the seat, to me. Aside from good maintenance, training and crew rest, of course.)

I'd be happy to fly with them again any time.

Edited: 02 November 2013, 06:38
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Fiji Airways......Help!!

Fiji airways is suffering from major problems, the non-responsive staff and delayed flights are only a few of them.The airline changed or cancelled our flights 5 times in the month prior to our departure. About a week before our honeymoon, I called to verify final arrangements and was told there would be no more changes. Less than a week before our flight they cancelled our return flight altogether through an email notice.

My husband and I have been trying since October to get reimbursed for the 2-day delay in our flight. The delay incurred over $1000 in charges for us--food, new return connecting flights, and miscellaneous airport and transportation charges. Those expenses don't include the additional costs I incurred personally by using two extra days off from work just to stay in a dumpy hotel in nadi that literally still had leftovers in the toilet from the previous guest. No bueno. Don't get me wrong, staying in Fiji an extra 2 days could have been great if Fiji Airways would have comped our room at our honeymoon resort. Instead we were put up in a dump. Additionally, the food we were to have comped, was virtually nonexistent--a limited menu of 3 items for breakfast lunch and dinner. We ended up eating out because it was so gross. We'd love to return to Fiji because it's simply stunning, but how to get there is a puzzle as we'll never fly Fiji Airways again. Good luck!

Newcastle, Australia
5 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Fiji Airways......Help!!

Oh that is horrible. This was my post! We went to Fiji in June. The flight over was incredibly delayed....twice was suppose to leave at 6.50. Left at midday. Flight on the way home was great! New airbus, but again staff were not too keen to serve us. Hope you get a resolution soon :)