We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which Island?Where to do the research?

Victoria
Level Contributor
525 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
Which Island?Where to do the research?

Hi all,

We have been to Fiji 6 times and have stayed at The Warwick, Shangri la, (with our kids) and most recently The Pearl Pacific Harbour and First Landing.

Next year we plan to go again and stay at First Landing with a couple of nights on one of the Islands. This I thought would be easy....not...

Would love some guidance on where to start.

We are in our 50's, love snorkelling, beaches, relaxing, culture.

We will be travelling June/July, is one better than the other weather wise? Once we can decide on an Island Manamucas or Yasawas, then I can narrow down accommodation.

Thanks to all, I know you will give us plenty of ideas

Deb

Coral Cats - Day Trips
Boat Tours, Scuba & Snorkeling
Beqa Adventure Divers
Scuba & Snorkeling, Shark Diving
Diveaway Fiji
Scuba & Snorkeling
Tokoriki Diving
Scuba & Snorkeling
New South Wales...
Destination Expert
for Fiji, New South Wales, Australian Capital Territory
Level Contributor
4,091 posts
275 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which Island?Where to do the research?

Try Navini. Easy to get to from First Landing as their boat departs Vuda.

Ballarat, Australia
Level Contributor
2,326 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which Island?Where to do the research?

Hi Ozzy4,

I am with Tez. I am a Navini Tragic, however with the amount of return business they get I dont think I'm to lonely. Anyway I have posted below an extract of another post I did. It provides you links to area's so that you can get some idea of what Navini is like.

We first went there in 2010, then in 2012 and then again in 2013 and we are hoping, funds permittting, to return in 2014, later in the year. And yes I am 50+. We have met some wonderful people there

Have a gander at this:

1. This is the Navini Website. All your bookings have to be done through the website not a Travel Agent. All the prices are there. In relation to the Bure's you pay per Bure not per person. In relation to meals you can buy a 3 meal per day plan or a 2 meal per day plan. Transfers - as mentioned on the site you go for 5 days you get the transfer one for free go for 7 and both ways are free. We like it because we pay everything before we go which means we only have a grog bill to pay at the end.

2. This is the link for the reviews on Trip Advisor. Happy reading.

3. This is a You Tube clip that is pretty corny but it gives you a good idea of what Navini is like.

http://www.navinifiji.com.fj/

tripadvisor.com.au/Hotel_Review-g308259-d567…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZk_NYSQh_s

Hope this helps you to find your little piece of paradise

Cheers

Baz

Victoria
Level Contributor
525 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which Island?Where to do the research?

Thanks for both replies, I will take a look, this is the fun part.

Deb

Sydney, Australia
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Which Island?Where to do the research?

Have any of you been to Fiji over Jan? I know the weather is tropical and it's rain season but from experience does this means it rains all day every day or is it humid and has a rain period at some time throughout the day. If only I had a crystal ball to see Jan 2014 weather! Thanks

Ballarat, Australia
Level Contributor
2,326 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which Island?Where to do the research?

Hi Mel

Yes my family and I have been to Fiji in January and we stayed at the Naviti on the Coral Coast, Viti Levu. And had absolutely no trouble. Rained at night.

You have to remember that Fiji is pretty close to being on the same latitude at Cairns. The islands (The Mamanuca's) are drier than the main island.

Yes you will get some rain and it will be hot and humid. However you'll either have the resort pool or the big beautiful Pacific Ocean to cool off in. I also think that you will have an absolute hoot.

All the best Baz

Remember January is high season

Bellingen, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji, Mamanuca Islands, Navini Island
Level Contributor
9,212 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which Island?Where to do the research?

It can rain anytime of the year however Dec to March can get quite a bit of rain or not! On the mainland yes expect a lot more on the islands less usually a daily shower, preferably at night! Navini is not too far out an would be perfect. Botaira in the Yasawas offers the best snorkeling and culture being Fijian owned and managed it is a lot further out and you need to get the Yasawa Flyer from Denarau Marina. At Navini website check out the specials stays of longer than 4 days attract these and remember they quote in Fiji dollars so do the conversion a lot of people forget and think it is too expensive, Great resort but it is really more like a house party and friendly with wonderful staff .

Edited: 03 November 2013, 02:37
Wellington
Level Contributor
350 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which Island?Where to do the research?

To the OP, Octopus resort on Waya Island has kept us more than happy for three visits.

Your requirements/wants (as indicated) would be amply provided for.

The Octopus boat also departs Vuda Marina.

Victoria
Level Contributor
525 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which Island?Where to do the research?

Thaks Tarq57, will have a look at Octopus too.

Deb

Victoria
Level Contributor
525 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which Island?Where to do the research?

Another question, Island stay first or last?

Deb

Australia
Level Contributor
1,474 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which Island?Where to do the research?

save the best till last....but depending on what island you choose you may need to stay the last night on mainland..