We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Overwhelmed and just starting my plans!

San Diego...
Level Contributor
48 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Overwhelmed and just starting my plans!

Hi everyone. I've checked out a lot of topics here about Fiji, and I think I have an idea of what I want to do.

Planning on arriving mid-April 2014 with my boyfriend from LAX. We cant stay as long as I'd like, as my boyfriend is a physician and when you're not working, you're not making money.... we'll probably have a good 6.5 days. We're not looking for too much luxury, and quite frankly, we just need a clean place to stay, as we're on the go people.

1. I've looked into Anchorage resort (?), any thoughts on this?

2. My main thing is snorkeling. Im a saltwater fish enthusiast and Im coming to see clownfish! Are clownfish right off the water, visible by snorkeling, or do I need to scuba dive? Are they everywhere, or only in particular areas of Fiji?

3. Given our short stay, would it be a waste of time to spend our first 2 nights at Matangi island, then fly back to the main island for the remainder of the trip? As I said, not looking for luxury, but a few nights in a "dream" bure would be nice.

4. Car rentals....safe to drive in Fiji? Is it best to do a taxi?

Lastly. ...any islands that may be really awesome for snorkeling and seeing amazing corals? Im looking for any input. I really want to maximize what little time I'll have there!

Thanks.

Ballarat, Australia
Level Contributor
2,201 posts
233 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Overwhelmed and just starting my plans!

Hi

In relation to question 1 can't help you

Question 2.

Snorkelling is far superior in the Mamanuca's and the Yasawa's. Clown fish are fairly plentiful and from my experience not to far from the shore line.

Question 3.

Depending on what you really want, I would probably just do an island stay.

Question 4

If you only do the one spot organise your transfers and chill. I would not worry about a car

If you decided on a mainland stay if you needed to travel taxi's may be the way to go

Baz

New South Wales...
Destination Expert
for Fiji, New South Wales, Australian Capital Territory
Level Contributor
4,048 posts
260 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Overwhelmed and just starting my plans!

"I've looked into Anchorage resort (?), any thoughts on this?" - a mainland resort with poor visibility/snorkelling straight off the beach.

If this is your budget and snorkelling/diving getting into the sea is your main priority, this is NOT the place you want to be. You can find an island with all the activities you are looking for at a similar price. Try www.coconutsandcoral.com or www.awesomefiji.com for packages at different island resorts with various facilities & budgets. All pricing includes your transfers and if you can choose one island or a combo. Awesome offer a "full monty" package that also includes activities and watersports at each destination.

LAX flights arrive early in the morning so you will be able to get off the plane and head straight for an island transfer. Don't waste your time on the mainland would be my tip "to maximise the little time you'll have".

Tuncurry, Australia
Level Contributor
738 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Overwhelmed and just starting my plans!

Bula Kateroo86

I will try to answer some of your questions.

The Anchorage would not be my first choice for a 5 night stay .we stayed one night before our Blue Lagoon cruise and really enjoyed it. its quiet a nice small resort it is on the side of a steep hill not a great beach not really good for snorkeling the restaurant was ok great pool (but all the resorts have great pools ) it’s a little out of the way and difficult to get to I think 1 or 2 nights is enough time there if you want to stay in that area have a look at First landing resort not far from the Anchorage but on flat ground next to a marina

The best beaches are defiantly on the islands but what one to choose everyone has their favorite

May I make a suggestion? Why not have a look at one night Anchorage as you have already looked at it then a 3 or 4 nights Blue Lagoon or Captain Cook Cruise you will get to see lots of clownfish as you will visit several islands an snorkel on all of them and also visit an island village then back to First landing or one of the resorts on Denaru for a couple of nights get a taxi or hire a car or scooter and visit the Coral Coast for the day have lunch at one of the resorts or at Kokos and see a bit of the mainland before you go home

Waitakere City, New...
Destination Expert
for Mamanuca Islands
Level Contributor
2,591 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Overwhelmed and just starting my plans!

Great idea Dave Y. An island cruise for three or four nights will give the OP a terrific variety of snorkeling and scenery.

Bellingen, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji, Mamanuca Islands, Navini Island
Level Contributor
8,979 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Overwhelmed and just starting my plans!

I did not have a good experience at Anchorage and far prefer First Landing resort in the same area. First Landing have daily snorkeling trips and the facilities are lovely, it feels like you are staying on an island resort ;and the views out to the island are wonderful. What a shame you don't have more time as Botaira in the Yasawa Island group has amazing snorkeling, it is a marine sanctuary with healthy coral of many varieties, lots of fish, turtles and giant clams etc. As it takes abut 3 hours to get there on the Yasawa Flyer which leave at 8.30am daily returning around 5.30pm of an evening. People go on day trips so it could work. Fijian owned and managed it is a real Fijian experience with amazing staff.

Reno, Nv
Destination Expert
for Matangi Island, Fiji
Level Contributor
5,511 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Overwhelmed and just starting my plans!

As others gave said, the best snorkeling is on the outer islands. South Seas Cruises offer day trips leaving from Denarau the outer islands should you decide to stay on the main island. Tours and prices are on their website.

http://www.ssc.com.fj

With six days you could do Botaira. As mentioned your flight will arrive Nadi in plenty of time to catch the boat to the resort. It takes several hours and will make for a very long day after the long flight from the states.Flights departing back to LAX depart late night, so no problem being back in time for your flight.

Getting to Matangi requires an approximate 1 1/2 hour flight from Nadi to Taveuni where you will be met by a staff member and driven to a beach where a boat will take you to the resort. Takes about another hour. That said, we get earliest flight and arrived at Matangi around 10:30. Two nights isn't much time.

Matangi is our favorite resort in Fiji. Excellent snorkeling, the best we have experienced, and we saw Nemo on all our vacations. Personally, wouldn't go to Matangi with less than three days. Four would be better. Two nights doesn't give you much time time at the resort, especially if you have to take an afternoon flight getting to Taveuni and an early departure flight back to the mainland essentially will only give you one day at the resort. Not enough time to experience tours/activities the resort offers. If you can catch the first flight out of Nadi, and the last flight back maybe, but still not a lot of time given the expense.

The following link has pictures of our last vacation to Matangi. Will give you an idea of the bures, resorts grounds, snorkeling, etc.

…tripadvisor.com/tripwow/ta-0439-1408-d5f4…

Coming from the states you will need and adapter angled for Australia for charging camera, laptop batteries, etc. We also take a small power strip allows us to charge more than one battery at the same time. For other suggestions of what to take with you.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g294331-c134773/Fiji:…

Sydney
Level Contributor
1,195 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Overwhelmed and just starting my plans!

I'm yet to do one.....but have to agree with Dianz and Dave that a cruise would be great for what you're after, especially with limited holiday time.

Waitakere City, New...
Destination Expert
for Mamanuca Islands
Level Contributor
2,591 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Overwhelmed and just starting my plans!

Sometimes I think we should just book out an entire Yasawa Island cruise (for a special rate of course) and have a massive TA get together. :)

Ballarat, Australia
Level Contributor
2,201 posts
233 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Overwhelmed and just starting my plans!

Your shout Dianz, Great. When do we leave

Waitakere City, New...
Destination Expert
for Mamanuca Islands
Level Contributor
2,591 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Overwhelmed and just starting my plans!

The operative word there Baz is "we".... as in we all pay but good try!