We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yasawa - which island and which resort?

London, United...
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Yasawa - which island and which resort?

hi, I am planning a 6 month trip to Fiji, Oz and NZ from Easter weekend in April onwards. I have 5 nights to spend in Fiji and am most interested in visiting the Yasawa islands.

Only thing is, very confused about which is the best choice! Very overwhelmed by the amount of options and reviews I have been reading. Ideally I would like to be in the North so I have the option of doing the Sawilai caves, I'd like to be somewhere with great snorkelling (tho I have read that resorts such as Botaira have the best snorkelling), and somewhere that isn't a rowdy massive resort but as I am travelling solo with people I can talk to. From what I have read Sunrise Lagoon looks like a massive and very lively resort, whereas I don't mind paying a little bit more to have a very Fiji experience and have good food etc, I have seen the Nanuya Island resort and whilst I wouldn't mind going here I am not sure if it would be a couples only type resort.

I am 29 so am up for having drinks and chatting with people in the evening but i'd rather not be in a large back-packer type place.

Any tips on what resorts or nearby islands (still within reach of the Sawailai caves) that are very picturesque and relaxing and not entirely couples honeymooning?

Thanks!

Emma

Bellingen, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji, Mamanuca Islands, Navini Island
Level Contributor
8,745 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Yasawa - which island and which resort?

Botaira is very friendly and they will take you to the caves.

Waitakere City, New...
Destination Expert
for Mamanuca Islands
Level Contributor
2,590 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Yasawa - which island and which resort?

http://bluelagoonbeachresort.com.fj/ might work but you'd need to consider sea plane transfers most likely. Also be aware that they are advertising four trips to the caves per week so make sure that you know which days so you don't miss out.

London, United...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Yasawa - which island and which resort?

Hi-many thanks for the replies.

I did look at Blue Lagoon Resort, but why would I need to use the airplane? The Yasawa flyer goes here so I would get that there and back.

Re Botaira, thanks I will look it up, can they really do day trips to Sawailai caves tho when it is so far?

Thanks

Waitakere City, New...
Destination Expert
for Mamanuca Islands
Level Contributor
2,590 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Yasawa - which island and which resort?

Re the transfers. The Yasawa Flyer travels up and then back down the Yasawa island chain only once per day. So unless your flight lands really early (which it won't if you're going from NZ but might possibly if you are leaving from Auz - others will know more details regarding that) then you'll have to have one night each end staying on the main island. Which cuts your Yasawa nights to just three. Sad but true. It's a fact that everyone traveling to Fiji and planning on going to the Yasawas has to deal with. We all (travelers) keep hoping for some competition that will offer more varied transfer times.

Editing to add this link...

www.awesomefiji.com/FerryTimetable.aspx

Edited: 15 January 2014, 09:24
Germany
Level Contributor
41 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Yasawa - which island and which resort?

I would recommend Blue lagoon for the following reasons-

1) The dorms are well priced, spotlessly clean, air conditioned and they don't have bed bugs.

2) The food is amazing

3) The staff are professional and friendly

4) It tends to attract a good bunch of people of all age groups and families- I went there two weeks ago, I'm 30 and was travelling on my own- I met several people of the same age also travelling on their own as well as some really cool people from all walks of life

5) The evening can tend to finish early at Blue lagoon- we were often the last ones at the bar at 10pm, however Oarsman is right next door- its more backpacker style and the evening activities tend to last a bit longer there so you can always walk across after things go quiet at blue lagoon, the owners are absolutely lovely- they'll treat you like family

6) They do a great cave swim where the blue lagoon movie was filmed- its stunning

7) its up north in Nacula and is a stunning resort, great atmosphere

In terms of the questions around getting there- there is the Yasawa flyer which is a good four hours- pay the extra for a ticket in the captains lounge because it is a long albeit beautiful trip. If your flying from Auckland you will run into the problem of having to stay in Nadi for one day each way- which is a pain. If you can plan your trip to fly out of Melbourne you'll avoid that problem- there's a flight that gets in at around 6am- you can go straight to the Marina from the airport, the flight back to Melbourne is also an evening flight at around 9pm, so again you get off the flyer at around 6pm and head straight to the airport.

Have fun- its such a beautiful part of the world.

Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
422 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Yasawa - which island and which resort?

The Fiji Airways flight from NAN to MEL leaves around 6.45 PM on a Saturday, do check other days departure times.

No idea on the Jetstar or Virgin departures.

You can always take the Flyer up to BLBR and get the Sea Plane back.

7. Re: Yasawa - which island and which resort?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 January 2015, 05:18