We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Last minute trip to Fiji- for next week 21/1/14! Help!

Australia
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Last minute trip to Fiji- for next week 21/1/14! Help!

HI there

We have a free week that my husband and I can away from our business literally commencing next Tuesday 21st January.

So need last minute help- I have heard that the Yasawa and Manamuka (Sorry about spelling) islands have slightly less rain this time of year and are also home to some couples only resorts.

We are 33 and 38 yrs old, no children, love snorkelling, beginner divers, very good food- seafood particularly, mix of relaxing and activities- ability to get boats to other islands close by.

We are looking for a nice-luxury place but don't want to spend much more than $400 per night which will hopefully include some meals.

So with only 4 days to plan and book for 6 nights away I'd love all your trip advisory knowledge!

Thanks so much :-)

Dunedin
Destination Expert
for Mana Island, Fiji
Level Contributor
1,966 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Last minute trip to Fiji- for next week 21/1/14! Help!

Couples only resorts (in Mamanuca Island group) are much more expensive per/night than $400 - food/drinks would have to be purchased on top of this. i.e. Likuliku, Matamanoa, Tropica, Lomani resorts.

An Island bure on Mana Island would be within your budget (just) but guests with children would be here - out of school holidays so may not be many kids around. 3 beautiful beaches situated around a large island. Plenty of space and lots to do. Island hopping around the Mamanucas is expensive - on scheduled island visits or via charter. Am sure other posters will be able to suggest if anything suitable in the Yasawa Island group. You will have to up your budget considerably to check all your requirements!

Waitakere City, New...
Destination Expert
for Mamanuca Islands
Level Contributor
2,590 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Last minute trip to Fiji- for next week 21/1/14! Help!

Lomani is showing availability in two of its three accommodation types for those dates. (Aud$423 and $571 per night). Pity you can't squeeze in an extra night since they have a pay 6 stay 7 special. Lomani is situated less than an hours ferry ride from the port with four transfers back and forth each day. Transfers are something you will need to take into consideration timing wise (unless you have the $$$ for a water taxi, seaplane transfer or helicopter - if the resort has a landing pad). Have you checked for international flight availability yet?

Very exciting, an unexpected holiday!

Australia
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Last minute trip to Fiji- for next week 21/1/14! Help!

Thank you for your reply Dianz. Yes it is exciting but now I just want to make sure to make it count as I am not sure if we will be able to get away again until the end of the year.

Is the water around this island crystal clear and has interesting snorkelling (reefs etc)? My husband is a real water baby and is a stickler for white sand, turquoise clear water and coral! We went to Kao Samui in Thailand and he won't go back as the water was murky and we had to get boats to take us and hour out to get clear water for snorkelling or diving.

I am actually unsure of the cost of helicopter or seaplanes but depending on the cost it maybe worth it to get to outer islands? We don't need the super secluded ones where there are only 4 couples etc... just not 100's of 5yr olds! :-)

Yes there are some semi reasonable flights available for our dates... but thinking I will need to try to book by the end of the day!

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Yasawa Islands
Level Contributor
2,069 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Last minute trip to Fiji- for next week 21/1/14! Help!

Also look at Blue Lagoon Beach Resort in the northern part of the Yasawas. If you are happy to do sea plane transfers instead of the boat (which can be awkward for connecting times with flights), then you may find that interesting. Certainly white sand, clear water and snorkelling straight off the beach.

Waitakere City, New...
Destination Expert
for Mamanuca Islands
Level Contributor
2,590 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Last minute trip to Fiji- for next week 21/1/14! Help!

The water around the island is lovely to look at but there is a draw back. As with so many of the Mamanuka islands it is very tidal so when the tides out, it's out. The best all tide swimming is down the beach in front of Plantation Resort but, having said that, Lomani provide complimentary snorkeling trips and, no, they are not hours away. In fact one is just out front off a sandbar. My hubby snorkeled there back in March (we were staying up the other end of the island but it's the same snorkeling spot) he thought it was great but, be warned, if your hubby must have excellent coral you might need to keep looking. Check out Botaira out for great snorkeling, great prices too but you won't have food choices there. Hooked On Fiji can tell you more if she comes on line. For seaplane info go here -

pacificislandair.com/fiji-seaplane-services-…

6. Re: Last minute trip to Fiji- for next week 21/1/14! Help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 16 January 2014, 05:05
Australia
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Last minute trip to Fiji- for next week 21/1/14! Help!

Hi there

Thank you Grant and TaiMarilyn for your replies also.

Have done a lot of reading and I think I am close to booking Lomani as for a beachfront bungalow with breakfast I have found $550/ night. A bit more than I wanted to spend but looks nice and to get a private bungalow on other islands it seems a lot more expensive plus, being further away I don't think you have the option of the ferry, therefore the plane/helicopter is the only option.

Tokariki resort looks amazing but about $1200 more plus the $850pp for seaplane transfers. I figure that if we want to go to other resorts or get a boat to take us out snorkelling or diving we can hire that at Lomani? May as well save the $1600 on seaplane transfers and use it on activities right? Does anyone know if there are any good diving sights within an hours boat ride? And can this be organised from Malolo Lailai Island?

Thank you for any final suggestions before I make a decision and book.

Waitakere City, New...
Destination Expert
for Mamanuca Islands
Level Contributor
2,590 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Last minute trip to Fiji- for next week 21/1/14! Help!

That's great SophieMae. I have another link for you - tide times for that week...

bom.gov.au/ntc/IDO60010/IDO60010.201401.pdf

always nice to have the high tide mid morning to afternoon. :)

For more activities on offer check the websites for Plantation Island Resort and Musket Cove, there are a lot of things available to do on Malolo Lailai including para-gliding, dolphin safaris (I think Lomani does this once a week as a complimentary thing), game fishing and they are close to a surfing break if that's your thing. You'll need to decide too if you want to take there one off payment meal special or if you want to keep your options open to try different places. Maybe email them and ask for copies of their menus. I know that their cocktails are a bit on the pricey side so pick up some dutyfree to sip on your bures decking if you like a drink or two. Also, just a tip, you might make some savings if you book through booking.com (I was checking the prices before and I'm pretty sure they were the cheapest. It's loaded at the top of the review page for Lomani here on TA.

Waitakere City, New...
Destination Expert
for Mamanuca Islands
Level Contributor
2,590 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Last minute trip to Fiji- for next week 21/1/14! Help!

Sorry, it was hotelclub.com that had the cheaper rate. Worth checking it out maybe.

10. Re: Last minute trip to Fiji- for next week 21/1/14! Help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 January 2015, 05:18