We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Confused :-)

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
33 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Confused :-)

Looking at visiting a Fijian island resort end of September 2014. 3 adults and a 7 yr old.

Just don't know which island to choose after reading reports I had picked castaway but sounds like food isn't too good.

Priorities are good quality good, great kids club,

Snorkeling nearby or off local beach.clean accommodation and clean pool.pricing medium to upper medium.

Any suggestions would be welcome !

Ballarat, Australia
Level Contributor
1,934 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Confused :-)

Have a look at the dot points on the right side of the page. In particular have a look at which island.

The Mamanuca's involve less travel than going to the Yasawa's. Once you have picked a couple have a look at the reviews on this website. That will help you narrow it down. Some of the posters have found their little piece of paradise.

One thing you should note is the prices quoted on the web sites are in Fiji Dollars so do the conversion, you may be pleasantly surprised.

Baz

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
33 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Confused :-)

Thanks Baz :-)

Ballarat, Australia
Level Contributor
1,934 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Confused :-)

Just had another thought. When you get your Sunday Paper today go for the one in Sydney from the Newscorp stable. A lot of resorts in Fiji advertise in the Travel Section. This may or may not help anyway it is worth a shot.

Cheers

Baz

New South Wales...
Destination Expert
for Fiji, New South Wales, Australian Capital Territory
Level Contributor
4,003 posts
241 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Confused :-)

Hi Chippndale - Castaway is an excellent choice of resort. Where did you get the information that there is a problem with the food? It normally is known as one of the better resorts for food and it was certainly lovely when we visited there.

Also, be aware that this statement is not necessarily the case 'One thing you should note is the prices quoted on the web sites are in Fiji Dollars so do the conversion, you may be pleasantly surprised.'

Assuming basil is thinking of the actual resort websites as opposed to booking sites, many of the resorts in Fiji quote in $NZ, $AU or $US and some even automatically convert depending on where you are accessing the site from.......... so always check the currency quoted or you could actually be in for a nasty surprise - especially with the $AU dropping against both the $US AND $NZ.

Other resort options for you to consider:

Malolo (although I wouldn't recommend for children above pre-school age)

Treasure

Sheraton Tokoriki (opening in May but not yet available for booking)

However Castaway would normally be on top of the list for your requirements. Just be aware that some people will rate food poorly just because it's not what they are used to or expect at home. The cuisine and menus in Fiji are much more American influenced than Australian and it IS different but you have to be prepared to accept that it won't be what you will get in Oz.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
33 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Confused :-)

Thanks tez823!

The information on bad food was on a recent tripadvisor report .I don't always take on board everyone's complaints .just a few recent ones also say castaway isn't run as well as in previous years .

Thanks for your info all much appreciated.

Chippendale

Australia
Level Contributor
607 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Confused :-)

Whilst on Malolo over Xmas we met a family that had just come from a 7 night stay on Castaway.....they experienced Gastro while on Castaway and said a number of guests were struck down with it and staff said it's been a problem for 6 months .......if you read back through the reviews they all state this too.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
33 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Confused :-)

Thanks Luclen,

I had read the reviews which had put me off castaway .

Treasure Island apears to be back at the top of my list at the moment .

Australia
Level Contributor
607 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Confused :-)

My Aunty arrived back from Treasure yesterday so she will hopefully be on Tripadvisor to give you an insight.

Look out for Ellietia, I will tell her to try and respond to this post.

New South Wales...
Destination Expert
for Fiji, New South Wales, Australian Capital Territory
Level Contributor
4,003 posts
241 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Confused :-)

Perhaps Castaway haven't fully recovered from the cyclone last year and maybe should have shut down for longer to get themselves back to full function? Hey luclen - looked for a review from you on Malolo - thoughts as a returnee???

Australia
Level Contributor
607 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Confused :-)

Hi Tez!!

Sorry haven't written a review as yet....still coming to terms of reality back into normal life! We had a wonderful trip to Fiji this Xmas - actually we rate it as the best ever! (Putting it down to kids bigger!)

We loved Malolo.....every second of it! I agree the resort is much more commercialized/polished now with the timber decking, fancy adult only areas, as I much preferred the sand paths. The Terrace restaurant is under utilized but a much better space than was there previously. The general atmosphere is a more polished product eg feel the need to be more dressed up at meal times than in the past. We loved Treetops and dined there every evening. Malolo put on fantastic Xmas festivities and everyone had a ball. We made friends with many other families and dined us adults together most evenings, as the kids became great friends and enjoyed kids club. The staff are what make Malolo and we loved them all. The owners of Malolo were present during our staff and we got too meet them and they were very interested too hear our feedback and very approachable at all times. Marian the GM was everywhere helping where she could due to 100% capacity from helping the waiters, too sweeping, too helping Santa with the kids! There were a number of returnee guests over Xmas ranging from older couples, to two generation families, too families with babies, and families with teenagers, everyone seem to fit in together.

A number of us have rebooked for this Xmas/ new Yr, but the rates have increased significantly as all Fijian resorts appear to have been....pity the same thing hasn't happened to the Fijian wages.....(must command Ahura for paying all Malolo employee wages at 50% whilst resort closed and helping them get other jobs on the mainland and other islands whilst it was closed for renovations, in fact they had a 100% return rate something they were worried about after paying them for 8 months). It's expensive to holiday for a family in Fiji with the added extras.

I have rebooked for June, but awaiting to book Sheraton Tokiriki......

Sorry for hijacking this thread! Hope you had a wonderful Xmas Tez.