We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family holiday with adult children

Palmerston North...
4 posts
Save Topic
Family holiday with adult children

We are looking at a holiday in Fiji in the September School holidays, our party is made up of 2 adults and 3 young adults (16, 18 & 19). This will be our first time in Fiji, and are looking for somewhere with great swimming and snorkling beaches. We have been offered a deal at the Sofitel Resort in Denarau but from reading the reviews the beach is not great for swimming. A smaller resort would be more ideal, however we are on a budget.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Waitakere City, New...
Destination Expert
for Mamanuca Islands
Level Contributor
2,580 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family holiday with adult children

Hi katwoman, welcome to the forum. Could we have an idea as to what budget you'd like to stay within and the number of nights you are hoping to stay.

Palmerston North...
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Family holiday with adult children

Would like to stay at least 5-7 nights, hard to put a budget on the accommodation as working on budget for entire trip including flights. Have had a quote from travel agent for around $6,500 including flights and 6 nights at Sofitel Resort.

Waitakere City, New...
Destination Expert
for Mamanuca Islands
Level Contributor
2,580 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family holiday with adult children

So if we say that airfares for the five of you are going to cost around $4000 (that's at Air NZ full price and will depend on which option you decide on regarding seat / seat and bag / or the works - meals, drinks, movies etc. Given that you're wanting to travel during school hols it's unlikely that you'll get discounted airfares). That leaves a balance of $2500 or NZ$400 (ish) per night for accommodation. Which gives us an idea as to what to suggest.

I think your adult children would be better off somewhere other than Denarau if they enjoy their water sports. Perhaps ask your travel agent to work out a price for Mana Island Resort for starters but I think you'll also get a lot of suggestion from posters here as well.

Palmerston North...
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Family holiday with adult children

Thanks, sounds about right for the budget. We are really just looking for a relaxing holiday so the water sports isn't important, but would like a good swimming/snorkling beach.

Waitakere City, New...
Destination Expert
for Mamanuca Islands
Level Contributor
2,580 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Family holiday with adult children

Try...

http://bluelagoonbeachresort.com.fj/

A two bedroom garden villa sleeping five has a base rate of NZ$429 per night for two people. I'm unsure what they charge for extras but can't imagine it would be too much. Beautiful beach, excellent snorkeling according to a poster here who visits regularly. You'd need to factor in the cost of transfers and (unless transferring by seaplane) allow one land based night either side of your stay. But there are plenty of transit type hotels around the airport area that don't cost a fortune.

Editing to add that they are showing availability for the September holidays. Surprising because 2 bedroom accommodation is sought after in Fiji.

Edited: 11 February 2014, 02:20
Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
405 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Family holiday with adult children

Just to add to Dianz comment about allowing for transfers for Blue Lagoon.

Transfer from Denarau to Blue Lagoon is $170 FJD per person one way or $205 FJD per person one way in the Captains Lounge.

My youngest daughter (15) and I love it at Blue Lagoon, the older one was a bit bored as she does not really like the beach - guess what, we are spending 14 nights on the Islands in July (6 at Manta Ray, 8 at Blue Lagoon)

If you want the daily activities list send me an message with your email.

Another option other than Blue Lagoon is Mana Island Resort http://www.manafiji.com

Not as far to travel to and 3 good beaches, good range of accommodation options and enough activities to keep you all occupied.

manaregular can give further details on Mana if they see this.

Palmerston North...
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Family holiday with adult children

Thank you for your advice, I have checked out Mana resort and it is all booked for the dates we require so will try blue lagoon as suggested.

Australia
Level Contributor
1,474 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Family holiday with adult children

What will really bump the prices up are the meals, especially since you have all adult ages, this was what wiped my wanting to go to Blue Lagoon Beach resort out....

For a mainland/coral coast resort have a look at the Hideaway, 2 bedroom bures can get all inclusive rates ie meals and drinks included, a very decent beach and very friendly staff, my teens loved it here..

Bellingen, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji, Mamanuca Islands, Navini Island
Level Contributor
8,659 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Family holiday with adult children

Have a look at Castaway Island resort or Mana island resort, should keep you all happy. No snorkeling off Denarau, if you want to see coral.

10. Re: Family holiday with adult children

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 February 2015, 07:19