We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Coral Coast and ?

Newcastle, United...
Level Contributor
194 posts
Save Topic
Coral Coast and ?

Hi,

My mum (in her 50s) and I (in my 30s) are thinking of going to Fiji in Sept/Oct this year.

We have been to Fiji before several years ago and absolutely loved it. We spent two weeks at Naviti Resort and thought it was fantastic.

We don't usually visit the same country twice, but Fiji is very close to Oz and therefore probably more convenient for our holiday this year.

We would really like to try an island this time. We would like to visit which ever one has the most picture-perfect beach (white sand, turquoise water). I've heard both The Manamucas and Yasawas are gorgeous. Is one more picturesque than the other?

We don't really want to spend a ridiculous amount if we can help it. We are both very active so we don't want an island that's extremely small. We also don't want an island that's just for honeymooners. We don't mind kids at all. We would be happy just to do some hiking, swimming, kayaking and perhaps snorkelling. Other than that, we just plan to relax on the beach or by the pool.

We would really appreciate an island recommendation. I think Castaway looks lovely, but I don't really know how it differs from any of the others.

I'm not sure if 2 weeks is too long to spend on one island? Perhaps it might be better to visit the Coral Coast for one week and then an island for another? Or maybe two islands? (although that might get too expensive).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :o)

Coral Cats - Day Trips
Boat Tours, Scuba & Snorkeling
Big Blue Fiji
Scuba & Snorkeling, Surfing, Windsurfing & Kitesurfing
Macazo Group
Scuba & Snorkeling, Boat Tours, Water Sports, Fishing Charters & Tours, Dolphin & Whale Watching
Newcastle, United...
Level Contributor
194 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Coral Coast and ?

Actually, I think we would prefer two weeks in the one place. I think that would suit us perfectly. So we just need to decide on the island!

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Yasawa Islands
Level Contributor
2,174 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Coral Coast and ?

Look at Blue Lagoon Beach Resort. At the northern end of Yasawa Flyer trip, (boat leaves Denarau 8.30am, gets there around 1pm) but if you are staying 2 weeks that doesn't matter, and the trip is an experience in itself, calls at other islands on the way, Captains Lounge worth it to go all that way, aircon, free drinks and snacks, costs a bit more than ordinary boat fare. Get the resort to book your boat trip, no extra cost and much easier than doing it yourself. We stay there regularly for that amount of time and there is plenty to do, or just lie in your hammock or beach chair! Kayaks available, good snorkelling, sea calm - sheltered beach, lots of walking possibilities, village visits, and they do have a pool now, although I prefer the sea.

PM me if you'd like more information.

Ballarat, Australia
Level Contributor
2,403 posts
289 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Coral Coast and ?

Hi,

If you are not taking kids, I would probably avoid September if I could because of School Holidays for Australia and New Zealand.

Have been to Castaway on a day trip and it had just reopened after reno's, looked lovely.

Treasure Island has just been renovated and I have visited Musket Cove and whilst it does not have a fantastic beach it is lovely especially sitting and having a drink at Dick's place.

In the Yasawa's, which I have never been to a friend stayed stayed with his family in June of last year and loved it.

Baz

Mentioned in this post
New Zealand
New Zealand
South Pacific
Newcastle, United...
Level Contributor
194 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Coral Coast and ?

Hi,

Thanks so much for your responses.

BLBR looks and sounds fantastic -is the beach better there than at Castaway, or much of a muchness? Is the food at BLBR nice? Does BLBR also have a meal plan you can purchase?

Treasure Island looks good too, however the nice beach is our number one priority.

So I believe it's a toss between BLBR and Castaway (assuming they still have availability Sept/Oct). I will do some more reading up about both.

I believe school holidays are from around mid September to around mid October? So would it be best to visit first two weeks of September or last two weeks of October for best weather odds (heat plus minimal rain)?

Thanks again.

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Yasawa Islands
Level Contributor
2,174 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Coral Coast and ?

Food at BLBR is really good. There is a compulsory food plan - no other place to get food. I don't believe you could get a better beach anywhere. Either early September or late October would be fine - email them for availability - popular so do it asap.

Australia
Level Contributor
1,474 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Coral Coast and ?

Personally I'd do two islands, you could do Blue Lagoon beach resort (yasawas) first and then onto Castaway resort (manamucas) second, a week at each

Newcastle, United...
Level Contributor
194 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Coral Coast and ?

Hi,

Thanks TaiMarilyn, I will email them right now.

Ellietia -I am thinking about doing one week at each island as you mentioned. I'm not sure what the best thing to do is.

I have emailed Castaway for availability already (haven't heard back from them yet), so I will email BLBR now and check their availability too.

I don't know if packing and unpacking twice in a holiday would make it less relaxing?

Australia
Level Contributor
1,474 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Coral Coast and ?

If its a full 2 weeks (14 days) then 7 nights at each resort would be a good balance..

Newcastle, United...
Level Contributor
194 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Coral Coast and ?

Yes, it's a full two weeks (we're very flexible with dates and length of time in Fiji). I will be flying from the UK (I live here and mum lives in Oz), so our holiday will definitely not be any shorter than two weeks as I need time to get over the flight before returning! :o)

I will wait to hear back from the resorts.

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Yasawa Islands
Level Contributor
2,174 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Coral Coast and ?

Yasawas and Mamanucas are on different boat routes - you would probably have to stay a night in Nadi in between. Also inward and outward flight times will determine whether or not you have to stay overnight in Nadi at either end of your trip. The Yasawa Flyer leaves Denarau Marina at 8.30am daily, does a round trip that gets you back to Nadi around 6pm. You would have more flexibility with a float plane, but at more than twice the cost.

Edited: 30 March 2014, 19:05