We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Resort to suit adult family group ?

Bunbury western...
Level Contributor
264 posts
168 reviews
Save Topic
Resort to suit adult family group ?

After spending hours browsing the internet I am still confused about where to go. I would love some suggestions that fit my specific criteria. Thanks!

-Group of 10 family members 16 to 50 yrs old

-Prefer age restriction or resort not much frequented by families with young kids

-we are all active and into water sports like waterskiing, sailing, paddleboards, snorkelling and other outdoors activities

- Not scuba divers

-Would prefer somewhere a bit off the beaten track

- has to be clean and in a safe area

-must have healthy food available including vegetarian. Good food with a few options is a must.

-mid price range if possible.

I hope someone can help point me in the right direction!

Ballarat, Australia
Level Contributor
2,036 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Resort to suit adult family group ?

To give you a starting point in the Mamanuca's have a look at Musket Cove, Mailolo or Castaway.

In the Yasawa Group have a look at Paradise Cove and Blue Lagoon Beach Resort.

Baz

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Resort to suit adult family group ?

Octopus resort is lovely, the snorkelling straight off the beach is some of the best we've experienced in Fiji, it has a very relaxed atmosphere and a great cocktail bar on the beach!

You probably have a few too many people, otherwise i'd say go on Catatac - charter boats fiji's boat... stay ON the water :)

Kilcoy, Australia
Level Contributor
101 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Resort to suit adult family group ?

have a look at

http://www.crusoesretreat.com/

this place is off the beaten track & mid price range

bit of a hike to get to it but not bad when you get there

Bellingen, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji, Mamanuca Islands, Navini Island
Level Contributor
8,822 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Resort to suit adult family group ?

Musket Cove would be perfect, though not so off the beaten track. Have a look at VoliVoli Beach resort is more off the beaten track but won't offer all the activities that Musket Cove will. Musket Cove is a lovely resort.You can do most activities except water skiing which is not that popular in Fiji. Sea-do's are the go .Matamanoa is another that may suit you too it is a child free resort. For me the pick would be Castaway Island resort, though in school holidays it is popular with families, as is Malolo.

New South Wales...
Destination Expert
for Fiji, New South Wales, Australian Capital Territory
Level Contributor
4,037 posts
260 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Resort to suit adult family group ?

Neither Malolo nor Castaway could in any way be construed as "age restricted" as both are popular family resorts as are Paradise Cove, Octopus AND Blue Lagoon.

Unfortunately, there aren't many places "off the beaten track" that will provide all the activities you are after so you may need to compromise a little.

For the activities and few children - certainly Musket Cove or even Lomani on the same island. Tropica is another 4* adults only resort in the Manamucas that is more "isolated" than Musket Cove and not totally the "honeymooners" market. Toberua is another island resort I would highly recommend - particularly for fabulous food and range of activities. They have kayaks, sail boats, paddle boards, daily snorkelling trips and daily organised excursions including village visit, beach picnic, mangrove kayak and more.

Waitakere City, New...
Destination Expert
for Mamanuca Islands
Level Contributor
2,590 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Resort to suit adult family group ?

Paradise Cove offer four Beach Houses (note - Beach houses not beach villas) which are located across from the main beach on their own beach less than a minutes complimentary boat trip back to the main resort area. They accept bookings for eleven years and upward only apart from certain dates orientated to NZ and Australian school holidays (dates are listed on their accommodation page). As a group of ten you could potentially book all four houses and have a beach to yourselves with all the benefits of the resort just across the way. Paradise Cove is less than a year old and is getting excellent reviews especially in regard to their food. If you are traveling in the correct time frame it may be possible to snorkel with mata rays from this resort.

http://paradisecoveresort.com.fj/

Navini may be worth looking at. It's a small island which is more attractive to adults than those with young kiddies who tend to favour kids club and kids stay / eat free deals. It is not, however, age restricted. Families are welcome to stay with their children if they prefer a lower key resort experience. Excellent selection of water sports gear all included in the cost as are the daily trips to different snorkeling spots or village visits etc. Transfers could be arranged to other nearby islands should you want a day of more energetic water activities - Malolo Lailai island (Musket Cove, Plantation and Lomani resorts) has para sailing for example, surfing trips (for the experienced only) could also be arranged from there.

Navini has no pool and dining is communal unless you choose to organise otherwise.

http://www.navinifiji.com.fj/

Nanuya Island is a small resort located towards the top of the Yasawa Island chain. It accepts bookings for ages seven and over but the bulk of the accommodation is suitable for two people only so there is little chance of being over run by families staying. From here you can visit the sawa-i-lai caves and possibly arrange to snorkel other close by areas. This is one of the few places in the more remote islands offering a la carte dining rather than a compulsory food plan. There is no pool and it may be that this resort might be a bit on the quiet side for what you're looking for.

http://www.nanuyafiji.com/

Coral Palms is a private rental house which is set up like a mini resort. It is located on the Coral Coast where any number of activities and day trips are possible to access. The rooms (suites) can all be configured to suit the individual needs of each group staying. There are nearby resorts where meals and other activities could be booked or the staff will cook for you at an additional cost.

http://www.coralpalmsfiji.com/

Often overlooked are the resorts and accommodations not situated on or near the main island of Viti Levu. You might want to do some research into these options on the other two main islands of Vanua Levu and Taveuni. A stay on either of these (or many of the other islands in the larger Fijian group) would definitely achieve "Off the beaten track" but remember to factor in the extra time and expense that reaching them will include. Also the further afield you go the stronger the likelihood that things may not be available (wifi, phone coverage etc) and the cost of many items (food, drinks, activities) is likely to rise to reflect the expense of getting goods to the more remote areas.

Edited: 04 April 2014, 01:44
Australia
Level Contributor
1,474 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Resort to suit adult family group ?

I would of said Matamanoa, maybe not off the beaten path but is in a beautiful location, very good snorkelling, close to Monuriki island ( where Tom Hanks filmed Castaway) and you wont get small children...As much as I love Castaway it can be kiddie heaven...

Bunbury western...
Level Contributor
264 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Resort to suit adult family group ?

Thankyou everyone for your suggestions, I will have a look over the weekend and see what fits our budget, etc.

9. Re: Resort to suit adult family group ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 05 April 2014, 11:05
10. Re: Resort to suit adult family group ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 April 2015, 05:16