We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

traveling for honeymoon in December/January

USA
Level Contributor
13 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
traveling for honeymoon in December/January

Hello!

It has been my dream to go to Fiji for my honeymoon since I was 8 years old (after watching the Blue Lagoon!). My dream is finally starting to come true. I am getting married in September with a December/January honeymoon to follow. My Lonely Planet Fiji book suggests visiting the Yasawa and Mamanuca Islands if visiting in the wet season. Does anyone have any information that suggests otherwise? And would you suggest one set of islands over others? We don't need anything too fancy, but would like to avoid, obviously, dorm style rooms--we don't mind shared bathrooms.

Thanks!!

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Yasawa Islands
Level Contributor
2,109 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: traveling for honeymoon in December/January

Check out the website (and Facebook page) for Blue Lagoon Beach Resort. It's in the same area as the movie - and they do trips to the cave that featured as well. They have a wide range of accommodation to fit all budgets, if you are looking for lower priced then their Lodge rooms - private bedroom in garden setting with small verandah out front, share dorm bathrooms - are good value.

Prices are shown in NZ$.

Edited: 05 April 2014, 19:48
Reno, Nv
Destination Expert
for Matangi Island, Fiji
Level Contributor
5,566 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: traveling for honeymoon in December/January

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding and honeymoon, canadianchick18.

December/January is during the rainy/season in Fiji. It is summer, and will be very hot and humid then.

The Yasawa and Mamanuca Islands,on the western side, are in the drier region, and tend to get less rain. Taveuni, Vanua Levu, Qamea, Matangi, in the northern region are on the wet side of Fiji. Couldn't complain about the weather on any of our vacations to Matangi and Paradise Taveuni. That said, if a low pressure system develops, all of Fiji will be affected. Unfortunately, the weather can't be predicted or guaranteed.

As for resorts, there many to chose from. The outer islands have the best beaches, crystal clear blue water, and amazing snorkeling. Would help us offer suggestions, if you could give a little more information: Approximate budget for accommodations? Do you prefer a large or small resort? Activities: snorkeling, hiking, surfing, etc.? Kids or no kids? Do you prefer a choice of dining options? Is a pool a must?

For starters have a look at the websites for: Octopus, in the northern region Sau Bay Retreat off Taveuni, and Coconut Grove on Taveuni. Viwa may also suit as they periodically have specials.

The following link has pictures of our vacation to Viwa. Will give you an idea of the beach, bures, resort grounds, etc.

…tripadvisor.com/tripwow/ta-0758-63f0-a16d…

Hope this helps.

Edited: 05 April 2014, 20:21
Waitakere City, New...
Destination Expert
for Mamanuca Islands
Level Contributor
2,592 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: traveling for honeymoon in December/January

Nanuya might be a good choice. Located at the top of the Yasawa Islands that the Yasawa Flyer (transfer boat) travels to it has a limited amount of bures (accommodation huts/cottages) and does not accept children under seven years old. Given that Christmas and January are the summer school holidays for Australia and New Zealand this is important to factor in as Fiji is a very popular destination with families from both countries. The cost for a tree top bure is reasonable at approx USD$190 per night. Food is a la carte dining (one of the few places in the Yasawa's that meals are offered this way rather than on a prepaid meal plan, often with communal dining). Breakfast is included. From here you can do a day trip to visit the sawa-i-lau caves where part of the Blue Lagoon Movie was shot.

Currently it is showing availability for December / January but I wouldn't wait too long to book (this applies to where ever you decide to go) since, again, Fiji is such a popular Christmas holiday destination.

http://www.nanuyafiji.com/

Ballarat, Australia
Level Contributor
2,290 posts
260 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: traveling for honeymoon in December/January

Everyone has their personal favourites in the favourite location.

Our personal favourite is Navini in the Mamanuca's: http://www.navinifiji.com.fj/

This is both good and bad. May I ask how long you intend on staying because you may like to do a week in say the Yasawa's and a week in the Mamanucas. Up to you.

Have had some friends stay at Blue Lagoon last July and absolutely loved it.

As has been said you must be aware that it is the Wet Season, but it is also the high season because it is the long school holiday break for the Australian and New Zealand kids.

As a starting point, write down on a list the sort of things you would like in a resort and then go to the dot points on the right side of this page. There you will find "Which Island". This will give you the names of resorts in what ever category you wish: high end, mid range and low end. Take the suggestions from here and start short listing, checking the resort websites and reviews on this site against your wish list.

You'll actually do ok.

Remember its you finding your piece of paradise. And you will.

Congratulations and all the best

Baz

P.S. My wife and I are dying to go to Paradise Cove in the Yasawa's!

Bellingen, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji, Mamanuca Islands, Navini Island
Level Contributor
9,166 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: traveling for honeymoon in December/January

For the Blue Lagoon experience you should look at Nanuya Island Resort built on the Shore of Blue Lagoon Beach and the famous Blue Lagoon. Much of the movie was filmed on this island and Matacawa levu, opposite Nanuya. You can do the trip to the Sawa i lau Caves from here too. Nanuya has very romantic tree top bures with views through the tree canopy over the beautiful Blue Lagoon. We have spent many lovely relaxing holidays at Nanuya, the food is amazing too. It is a small laid back resort the perfect place for a honeymoon.

Geelong
Level Contributor
104 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: traveling for honeymoon in December/January

We have stayed at Malolo Island resort over the New Years period and didn't have a problem with the weather. There were a couple of short heavy showers every few days and on a few evenings. It didn't bother us, it was refreshing, we didn't find it too humid or hot. So much so we are heading back to Malolo this year for New Years again. The water is lovely and clear and a snorkelling trip and the dolphin safari are a great day out. Even though it was school holidays there were not too many kids, we have a 12 yr old daughter, it is a relatively small resort, but has been renovated since our last stay.

USA
Level Contributor
13 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: traveling for honeymoon in December/January

Thank you all for your thoughtful replies! We're a little nervous about making such a long and expensive trip during the rainy season...would you all recommend waiting until the winter season to ensure better weather?

Bellingen, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji, Mamanuca Islands, Navini Island
Level Contributor
9,166 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: traveling for honeymoon in December/January

You can get wet weather any time of the year. We have been going to Fiji Dec./Jan for the last 6 years and have been lucky with the weather. While this is the wet season and there is the chance of a cyclone, which you only get in the wet season, maybe consider May or October when the weather is usually more stable, the days still lovely and warm and the water still a comfortable temp. for swimming.

9. Re: traveling for honeymoon in December/January

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 April 2015, 07:15