We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trips VS Choosing an island

Philly, Pa
Level Contributor
48 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Day trips VS Choosing an island

Im planning on stopping in Fiji for 4/5 days on my way to Auckland from Hawaii. 35 yr old male, not a partier, want to snorkel as much as possible.

I am thinking of using points to stay at the Westin in Port Denarau and go out on day trips.

Which trips should i go on for the best snorkeling from shore?

Will i really be missing out on good snorkeling by not staying on one of the islands? Or will I be able to visit comparable places on day trips?

I like the idea of returning to Port and having lots of choices of places to eat and things to do as a solo traveler in the evening better then being alone on an island.

Any advice would be great

Thanks for your help

Australia
Level Contributor
1,474 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trips VS Choosing an island

Yes you can go out everyday on day trips but it will soon get very expensive, but if you're using points it'll even its self out....Can recommend Treasure Island resort and Castaway Island as day trips but there are plenty of others such as the Seaspray http://www.ssc.com.fj/seaspray.aspx also have a look at the other day trips on the SSC website..

Westin is a beautiful resort BTW

Reno, Nv
Destination Expert
for Matangi Island, Fiji
Level Contributor
5,315 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trips VS Choosing an island

Tough call....stay on points and take day trips, or stay on the one of the outer islands. Guess it depends on budget and on how much snorkeling you want to do.

There is no snorkeling off the beach at resorts at Denarau. The resorts are built on a reclaimed mangrove swamp with dark sand and murky water. Will have to take day trips to experience soft, white sand beaches, crystal clear blue water and amazing snorkeling.

Octopus Resort is said to have great snorkeling off the beach, and has a wide range of accommodations/prices. The resorts is popular with couples, families with children, and solo travelers.

http://octopusresort.com

The outer islands will also give you a more "Fijian" experience than the large hotel chains at Denarau.

Ballarat, Australia
Level Contributor
1,934 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trips VS Choosing an island

Have to agree with E&CinReno. You could have a look at Navini Island in the Mamanuca Group of Islands. The transfers make getting there very very easy.

Check out the website: http://www.navinifiji.com.fj/

Echuca, Australia
Level Contributor
743 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trips VS Choosing an island

Octopus would suit. Great snorkelling off the beach as well as snorkelling trips to other sites. You will never feel lonely, the staff are so friendly. The communal dining at night was actually a highlight as you meet so many travellers from everywhere. The meal plan works out well & the food was great with lots of variety. Activities on every night, as well as kava & sing-a-longs every night, oh except Sundays!

Lots of different accommodation types from dorm rooms upwards. We stayed in a premium garden bure & spent NO time in our room at all, except to sleep really!

Let me know if there's anything else you want to know.

Cheers

Philly, Pa
Level Contributor
48 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trips VS Choosing an island

Thanks for the helpful replies.

I guess the real question I have is if i take 3 day trips will I be able to see comparable coral and sea life as I would if i actually stayed on an island.

From some of the things I have read it seems the islands that allow day trippers don't have the best reefs and coral. I am a big snorkeler so thats really the most important thing to me.

But being able to use points at the Westin would also be helpful

Australia
Level Contributor
1,474 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trips VS Choosing an island

That really depends on where you go for the day trip.....Treasure Island had great snorkelling but the majority of the resorts in the Manamucas had their reef damaged in the last cyclone.

You could consider Botaria resort in the Yasawas http://www.botaira.com/

You have to choose, eating out every night or beautiful snorkelling every day :-)

New South Wales...
Destination Expert
for Fiji, New South Wales, Australian Capital Territory
Level Contributor
4,003 posts
241 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day trips VS Choosing an island

Having done both - I can honestly say we've sometimes had better snorkelling on daytrips than for island stays and we've also had worse. It all depends on the trips you choose. Great spots for snorkelling in the Manamucas are Castaway, Treasure & Mana Islands so daytrips to any of those would give you as good a snorkelling experience as you would get staying there. The only variable would be tide times but at all of those you can snorkel along the drop off.

The absolute BEST snorkelling we've experienced is on deepwater drop offs when on a Captain Cook cruise and when staying on islands that didn't have great snorkelling from the shore. I don't know if you can do these type of trips from Denarau but Musket Cove Resort run daily snorkel excursions to local reefs.

I wouldn't recommend Navini for a single traveller wanting some variety of options for his stay.

Edited: 23 April 2014, 00:05
Australia
Level Contributor
1,474 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day trips VS Choosing an island

Yes I forgot to mention Mana, the most beautiful crystal clear water I've seen with colorful coral

Philly, Pa
Level Contributor
48 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day trips VS Choosing an island

Thanks so much! This is exactly was I was looking for. It's hard planning a trip from so far away and not knowing the area. Plus everyone's experience of good snorkeling is different but hearing from someone who's done day trips and island stays helps a lot.

I'm excited for my first trip to the South Pacific. Any other tips are appreciated.

Philly, Pa
Level Contributor
48 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Day trips VS Choosing an island

Thanks so much! If those decisions are my worst problem I guess I'm pretty fortunate:-)