We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Namale v. Royal Davui

Los Angeles...
12 posts
Save Topic
Namale v. Royal Davui

Hello. My fiancé and I are going to Fiji and New Zealand for our honeymoon. We are deciding between Namale and the Royal Davui for our Fiji leg of our honeymoon. Can someone please let us know which resort is nicer and good for a honeymoon spot. We honestly want to lay out by a beautiful beach with drinks for this part of our honeymoon.

Thank you

Reno, Nv
Destination Expert
for Matangi Island, Fiji
Level Contributor
5,398 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Namale v. Royal Davui

Hi, and welcome to the forum, Raina. Congratulations on your upcoming wedding.

Haven't been to either resort, so can't offer first hand information. Suggest reading the reviews then private message posters with questions. It is mentioned that the beach at Namale is rocky with coral. Not the soft white sand beaches Fiji is known for. Has been our experience posters were willing to respond to ours. Both are adults only resorts and popular with couples/honeymooners.

Coming from the states you will need a power converter angled for Australia for charging camera, laptop batteries. We also take a power converter and small power strip for charging more than one battery at the same time. Recommend purchasing alcohol alcohol at the duty free shop at the airport in Nadi for having drinks in your bure. We can't purchase our brand of choice in Fiji, so take the amount allowed by customs in our checked luggage.

Should you visit a village/school please don't take candy though some posters in reviews suggest it. True, the children would love it, however, diabetes is on the rise and dental care hard to come by especially on the outer islands. There are other things they need much more. The following link has suggestions of what to take with you as well as items for visiting a village/school.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g294331-c134773/Fiji:…

Hope this helps. Am sure you will have an amazing honeymoon whichever resort you decide on.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
29 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Namale v. Royal Davui

My husband and I just got back from our honeymoon at Royal Davui on Good Friday and I would recommend it in a heart beat! We spent our days relaxing in our plunge pool, the food is incredible we never went hungry and the staff are so friendly and accepting of the need for privacy on a honeymoon. There is amazing snorkeling right off the island and they offer an amazing picnic on a sandbar in the middle of the sea which is not to be missed it's an amazing place!

London
Level Contributor
531 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Namale v. Royal Davui

That's great to hear need2travel. I have not been to Fiji yet so I can't comment, but after much research, we intend to spend our honeymoon at Royal Davui next year

Los Angeles...
12 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Namale v. Royal Davui

Thank you! I just have a few follow up questions. Did you spend any time laying out by the beach? If so is it the type of place we can spend our days on lounge chairs with great drinks? We will be doing so much hiking in new Zealand I want to do nothing but relax in Fiji! Also my fiancé read a review about sea snakes and beetles being a problem at this resort. Did you encounter anything like that? Thanks so much.

London
Level Contributor
531 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Namale v. Royal Davui

Again, I haven't been and maybe someone who can will offer a better answer, but I've done a lot of research into Royal Davui. Regarding the snakes, the general consensus seems to be that they are shy and non aggressive. You may see them, but if you leave them alone, they'll leave you alone. They are venomous but apparently their mouths and tiny and their fangs are far back so you'd literally need to stick your finger in their mouth to get bitten. So unless you have a phobia of snakes which might upset you, most people consider they offer no risk.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
29 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Namale v. Royal Davui

I was super anxious about the snakes before we went they are my biggest fear and like you had read lots about them however we did not see a single snake, they do mention them in the condominium and it does say they are very timid so I wouldn't worry too much about them. We stayed in the basic plunge pool vale and we were the only vale as far as we could tell which had its own beach (we were in vale 9) we could walk straight down onto the beach from our deck where as all the other vales were up higher so they didn't have direct beach access. All the vales have sun loungers on there decks and there are plenty by the pool where you can also get poolside bar service by raising a flag next to the pool but I don't recall there being a beach that you can relax on other than the one outside vale 9. I hope that helps.

London
Level Contributor
531 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Namale v. Royal Davui

Need2travel, did you plunge pool have heating? And if not, did you find it too cold? Also what time of year were you there? We can only really afford to stay in the most basic vale (which are still pretty gorgeous) and the only real complaint anyone seems to have about them is that the plunge pools are cold.

London
Level Contributor
531 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Namale v. Royal Davui

There's a map here

royaldavui.com/Fiji-Luxury-Private-Plunge-Po…

It does look like vale 9 is the only one with direct beach access, so we'll bear that in mind! (although did you find that reduced your privacy when other guests used the beach?)

However, it looks like there are two beaches which presumably all guest can have access to.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
29 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Namale v. Royal Davui

It does say the plunge pool isn't heater however by chance we saw the "pool man" cleaning our pool one day and he said to let him know if we wanted our pool warmer or cooler and he would change it, the following day we called reception and asked them for it to be heated a little more and sure enough it got warmer! Only once did we see another couple on the beach in the 5 days we were there, most people tended to stay by the pool. We were there in April this year :)

London
Level Contributor
531 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Namale v. Royal Davui

Thank you. I can't wait to get there.