We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Using your mobile

Gold coast
Level Contributor
51 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Using your mobile

Hi everyone

I usually take my old Nokia to fiji and get a fiji sim once I've gone through customs at Vodafone. I can't find my Nokia so I have to buy a cheap phone, I went looking today and found a cheap Samsung phone at dick smith for $39. The guy in the shop asked me if fiji works off a dual band of 900mhz ... I had no idea! ( I have checked and yes fiji does)Which got me thinking, does a brand new phone that is unlocked need to have some kind of international barring turned off? I read this on the vodafone fiji website....I just don't want to get there with this new phone and I can't use it.

Thanks in advance

Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
451 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Using your mobile

It should be OK as long as the phone is unlocked.

I bought a Sony Xperia E from DS last year and took over and it worked fine.

The international barring is usually a "feature" of the service provider.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
396 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Using your mobile

Yep, as mrfreezetas said... The lock is on the phone provider, not the phone itself... I had an unlocked phone, took it to Fiji & couldn't use a local sim... I rang my Oz provider (optus) from Fiji & was advised there was an international lock... They unlocked it & all was good 15mins later.. Maybe call your provider before you leave to confirm you can use an international sim in your phone

Mentioned in this post
Fiji
Fiji
South Pacific
Gold coast
Level Contributor
51 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Using your mobile

I'm buying an unlocked phone to use fiji Vodafone. I don't think I need to call Vodafone here do I? I'm only buying a pre paid sim for the trip. My iPhone with telstra is my normal mobile which I'm taking but not using.

Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
451 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Using your mobile

Yes buying an unlocked phone and getting a sim card at the Nadi airport should not prove any issue or require any phone call.

With your iPhone make sure to turn off data roaming etc. to stop any large costs being incurred from it's use.

Mentioned in this post
Nadi
Nadi
Viti Levu, Fiji
Gold coast
Level Contributor
51 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Using your mobile

Thankyou, yes that's helpful. I've had the unlucky expensive bill in the past :)

Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
451 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Using your mobile

Found the following link on the Vodafone Fiji website with info that some might find helpful.

vodafone.com.fj/pages.cfm/…visiting-fiji.html

Mentioned in this post
Fiji
Fiji
South Pacific
Melbourne
Level Contributor
390 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Using your mobile

I have just returned from Fiji And before we left OZ I asked the resort we used to get a Sim for me so that I had the Number to give out Remember if anyone rings your local home no you pay from Aus to Fiji plus a incoming call cost using a Fiji Sim its so much cheaper I paid $25 fiji and had $125 worth of calls, I actually used a just repaved iPhone 4s but as stead turn off location and all other bits and emails on your Home handset.

Mentioned in this post
Fiji
Fiji
South Pacific
8. Re: Using your mobile

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 May 2015, 08:16