We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much time to allow coming back/Fiji Airways on-time?

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
27 posts
95 reviews
Save Topic
How much time to allow coming back/Fiji Airways on-time?

Hi, all -

My husband and I are traveling to Fiji this summer for our 10th anniversary. We have round-trip flights booked from LAX to Nadi, but I still need to book our travel from Denver to LAX. I'm planning to book Southwest. We're going to allow plenty of time on the front end (arriving in LAX around 4 p.m. to catch an 11:30 p.m. flight), but I'm wondering how much time we'll need on our way back. Our flight from Nadi is supposed to arrive at 1:25 p.m. Is it practical to book a 3:55 p.m. Southwest flight? I know we'll need to go through customs, collect our baggage, haul ourselves over to Terminal 1, and check in. The next direct Southwest option isn't until 7:50 p.m. and I'd rather not sit around, but I also don't want to be crazy stressed if I'm putting us in a tight situation. I will have a travel agent to help me if things get hairy.

Your advice is very much appreciated, thanks!

Jenny

Newport Beach...
Level Contributor
619 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How much time to allow coming back/Fiji Airways on-time?

Jenny - well that is too tight on the way back. Even if you had Global Entry (do you have Global Entry?) and if you were able to get through immigration and customs in 10 min where if you don't it can take at least 30 min or more - get your bags - wait in line after you got your bags to get through customs (if your bags get screened for another check you would have more time added) - you would not have time to check in on time I believe. You should be at your flight at least 2 hours before - and looks like really you only have 35 min to check in - check baggage - go through TSA - and get ready to board.

And if you had Global Entry you would have TSA PreCheck. Even with all that - you will miss your flight and then may not be reimbursed for the missed flight.

I travel agent can't help you with immigration, customs, getting up stairs to a line to check in, then back thru TSA - to your gate, whew...!

I understand your desire of not wanting to sit around. But I think that is your best option.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
27 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How much time to allow coming back/Fiji Airways on-time?

Thanks, surfcali! I decided to play it safe and book the later flight. We'll take a taxi to Manhattan Beach if we end up with hours to burn. I appreciate your response!

Newport Beach...
Level Contributor
619 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How much time to allow coming back/Fiji Airways on-time?

Smart choice- better safe than sorry. You can enjoy relaxing and find a cafe or something along the beach..

If you don't have it I highly recommend you get global entry. It is so nice and you get that and TSA Pre-Check

4. Re: How much time to allow coming back/Fiji Airways on-time?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 May 2015, 05:17