We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need a Plan B quickly

Brisbane
Level Contributor
235 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Need a Plan B quickly

Hi guys, we currently have a trip to Fiji booked and half paid for in August but financial disaster has just struck and we need to make some adjustments to reduce the cost. We are on frequent flyer flights so no problem there. We are currently booked into Hilton Beach Resort for two nights pre and four nights post Captain Cook 7 night cruise. The Hilton we have used points and $ which is all paid so no problem there. The problem is the CC cruise in the middle. We are 99% sure we are going to cancel the cruise. We need to find an alternative for the 7 nights that is cheaper than the CC cruise. We are in our 50s, active, we like water sports and snorkeling, like nice food and it will be our 30th wedding anniversary while we are there. We don't really mind if it's an island, Coral Coast, a villa - just a nice pool, access to a variety of day trips, not full of kids or backpackers. Where would you suggest we start looking? Thanks for any help you can offer us. Cheers.

Tuncurry, Australia
Level Contributor
735 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need a Plan B quickly

Wananavu resort Rakiraki

Victoria
Level Contributor
524 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need a Plan B quickly

Have a look at wotif? There may be something there that will suit your budget.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
235 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Need a Plan B quickly

Thanks Dave and Ozzy. I've been studying Wotif all night.... problem is the food. By the time you take into account the transfers, the room cost and three meals per day x two people plus any day trips, it doesn't work out much cheaper than paying the higher all inclusive cost on the cruise. I need to sleep on it and see if I can work out a way to make it all work. Hate unforeseen and unexpected blows to your finances - ruins all good travel plans!

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Yasawa Islands
Level Contributor
2,004 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need a Plan B quickly

Have a look at Octopus Resort. I don't know what the cruise cost is - but one of their 7 night packages might be ok, especially if you were to get one of their Bungalow rooms (private room with balcony, shares dorm facilities) - all inclusive food costs and I think transfers so you know what it will cost up front. Check out their website (prices on there in US$) - or email their reservations office at Fiji Travel Network - link on the website.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Denarau Island
Level Contributor
2,121 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need a Plan B quickly

Hideaway also has 7n packages, all inclusive with a room credit.

I think including airfares its about $1600pp, so if you can just purchase the land content it should be quite reasonable. Not sure you can do that, but its worth a try.

Anni

Tuncurry, Australia
Level Contributor
735 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need a Plan B quickly

Wananavuresort have free transfers if staying 5 nights or moor also have meal package

Waitakere City, New...
Destination Expert
for Mamanuca Islands
Level Contributor
2,590 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need a Plan B quickly

Hi Kaz, could you give us some idea of what you can realistically afford for those seven nights, it would help to make suitable suggestions. Also what dates are we talking about specifically?

Melbourne
Level Contributor
386 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need a Plan B quickly

hi

I see Davels has suggested WANANAVU beach resort at RAKI RAKI they have free transfers from Nadi when you stay 5 nights or more if you check out the review area you will see what people think of it we love it to get a good price deal direct plus it is on the mainland so you can see other things as well but when we go we tend to stay at the resort.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
235 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Need a Plan B quickly

Hi everyone, ok, things are slightly better today. Have spoken to CC cruises and have been able to change our cruise to a three night one which greatly reduces the cost, so we still get to cruise a bit and have our anniversary on the boat. Have discovered that we have 80,000 points on Starwood Prefered card which will be enough to get a room for the remaining 4 nights - so now the decision Sheraton or Westin. (Even though the Sheraton Villas have kitchens which is great, they are all 2 or 3 bedroom which is unnecessary). We will plan to buy most snack type food from supermarket and will eat around marina a bit. Believe the pizzas from the golf club are quite reasonable. Will be prepared to have a couple of more expensive meals if we need to. Thanks so much for your suggestions so far. Any recommendations between Sheraton & Westin? Kaz

Waitakere City, New...
Destination Expert
for Mamanuca Islands
Level Contributor
2,590 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Need a Plan B quickly

Great news kaz, sounds like it's all going to work out for you. :) Really not nice having a planned holiday go bottom up so good to see it's all back on track with just a few tweaks needed at this stage.