We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Homestay with local residents

Shanghai, China
3 posts
Save Topic
Homestay with local residents

Is it possible to contact for a local resident? We want to closely feel the culture of the aboriginal, the best is that we can stay in one of their villages. Any advices are appreciated.

Dunedin
Destination Expert
for Mana Island, Fiji
Level Contributor
1,882 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Homestay with local residents

Are you referring to a homestay in FIJI or Australia ? Aborigines come from Australia.

Shanghai, China
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Homestay with local residents

Yes, I found some villages provide homestay services but a little bit far from nadi, are there ones near nadi? We want a trip to visit the most original life of the aboriginals. Thank you for your reply.

Reno, Nv
Destination Expert
for Matangi Island, Fiji
Level Contributor
5,308 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Homestay with local residents

There are no aborigine villages in Fiji. Will have to go to Australia.

Viseisei Village has village stays and isn't far from Nadi. Their website isn't working at the moment, so don't know how to contact them. Danny's Home Stay on the Coral Coast has good reviews. Both will give insight into the daily life/culture, and history of the Fijian people.

fijihomestays.com/danny-s-village-homestay-f…

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g1552721-d15506…

Waitakere City, New...
Destination Expert
for Mamanuca Islands
Level Contributor
2,544 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Homestay with local residents

Hi Xuesong, there is a bit of confusion over the term 'aboriginal'. For many people the term refers specifically to the original inhabitants of Australia but, in the sense which you are using it, I presume you mean the indigenous, original inhabitants - native people, of Fiji.

There are home stays, they are not always well advertised since they may not have reliable access to the internet which can make booking difficult. There are also some smaller accommodation providers which are Fijian owned and operated and quite often situated close to or even right beside a Fijian village (the village may in fact own the accommodation and be running it). Perhaps something like that might be suitable? Let us know and we'll see if we can come up with some suggestions. Alternatively you could focus on the areas less frequented by tourists where interaction with the local people will be a less staged entertainment and more real day to day reality and interaction.

Dunedin
Destination Expert
for Mana Island, Fiji
Level Contributor
1,882 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Homestay with local residents

Look up www.fijihomestays.com/bati-s-guest-house.html - Bati's House Homestay at Namatakula Village (Korolevu, Coral Coast) is a great place to stay. Isoa & Rosa are the perfect hosts - the wonderful food Rosa serves is local Fijian fare (all grown and produced at the Village). A short walk to the beach - the Villagers will provide plenty of activities and tours if required. Private rooms. About 2 hours from Nadi but well worth the trip.

Transfers can be arranged via www.fijitransfers.com (same owners) by tourist or local buses or taxi.

Shanghai, China
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Homestay with local residents

Thank you very much for your reply, I already sent some request from the given website www.fijihomestays.com, either the danny's village homestay or the Bati's House Homestay is good enough for us. I can't find the booking page on the website, neither any phone No. except the email request. I sent the request yesterday but haven't get any replies yet. Really wish there are still rooms available. Again, thank you!

Edited: 25 May 2014, 06:30
Dunedin
Destination Expert
for Mana Island, Fiji
Level Contributor
1,882 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Homestay with local residents

Send an email to admin@fijitransfers.com for information re booking at Bati's Guest House (Namatakula Village). They are very good at answering quickly.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
385 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Homestay with local residents

Good Afternoon

The Term Aborgines is exclusive to Australia and for the interest of all out there the term is deemed by some too be considered racist however the huge number of what you would call tribes people prefer to be called by the area in Victoria and NSW the people are referred to as KOORIE PEOPLE then within areas. Have a look at a site called CREATIVE SPIRITS it will explain a very complexed tradition and a very proud people .

Now For Fiji I would not do a home stay for a lot of reasons but I would go to areas away from the main tourists place where you will see the real Fiji I would however do a home stay out on the islands but that could be difficult have a look at the areas such as RAKI RAKI as most people go to and around Nadi and the coral coast At Raki Raki you can stay in a number of outlets living a fairly traditional way.

The reason not doing home stays in a general sense while the ones suggested would be good is Water unless bottled plus a number of things that we take for granted the Fijian People are the most friendly people the major hotels even though they have international names but because of the staff it is like staying in a home that said I still would go to a resort / hotel in a more remote area as suggested .

Good LUCK

Waitakere City, New...
Destination Expert
for Mamanuca Islands
Level Contributor
2,544 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Homestay with local residents

The dictionary defines the term aboriginal as: inhabiting or existing in a land from the earliest times or from before the arrival of colonists; indigenous. Which is how I believe it was (correctly) being used by the original poster to indicate their desire to share Fijian culture with the indigenous people of Fiji and was not meant to be construed as in any way racist to the people or culture of any country.

Xuesong you may have a problem with the website for fijihomestays, my anti virus is blocking the site and warning me there may be issues with it. We have a poster who has stayed at Danny's home stay with his family and had a wonderful time, I'll send him a PM (private message) and ask if he is able to offer some more information for you as to how best to contact them.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
8 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Homestay with local residents

have you stayed there before?