We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bucket List trip-Fiji

East Coast
Level Contributor
115 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Bucket List trip-Fiji

I'm about to hit 50 and want to go somewhere I've always wanted to go-Fiji etc. I'm travelling alone on this one and coming from Washington DC area. I'd like something private but beautiful/beach and EASY to get to without all sorts of connections and multiplying plane hours. Going at end of OCTOBER

Can any of you recommend a place....I'm open to ideas. Have travelled the Carribean for 23 yrs.

Am I asking for the impossible?

Reno, Nv
Destination Expert
for Matangi Island, Fiji
Level Contributor
5,525 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bucket List trip-Fiji

Have a look at the website for Navini.

http://www.navinifiji.com.fj

Small laid back resort with beautiful beach and crystal clear blue water. The resort has 24/7 transportation. No need to wait around for transfers or overnighting on the mainland on arrival or departure before heading to the outer islands. Will be at the island in about an hour of landing in Nadi.

If you stay 7 or more nights transportation to/from the resort is included in the price. Another plus, all daily morning scheduled island, and snorkeling tours are at no additional charge. Prices are in FD, so do the conversion to USD.

The following link has pictures of our vacation to Navini. Will give you an idea of the beach, bures, resort grounds, etc.

…tripadvisor.com/tripwow/ta-042f-1fde-de34

East Coast
Level Contributor
115 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bucket List trip-Fiji

Thank you so much. I love this idea. It's expensive and a brutal trip from east coast. But I'm considering it.

Bellingen, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji, Mamanuca Islands, Navini Island
Level Contributor
9,022 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bucket List trip-Fiji

Botaira Beach resort is affordable again they quote in Fiji dollars so very good saving for you when you convert. They off accommodation and meal packages, the longer you stay the cheaper it gets. Does involve boat transfer but that itself is like a mini cruise on the Yasawa Flyer giving you the chance to see many of the beautiful islands along the way. Fijian owned and run, beautiful location long white sandy beach the beachfront bures offer plenty of privacy.

Reno, Nv
Destination Expert
for Matangi Island, Fiji
Level Contributor
5,525 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bucket List trip-Fiji

You're welcome morpion6.

Even though flights from the states are expensive and time consuming, it is well worth it.

Fiji Airways currently have specials on flights from the US: $1029 RT from LAX to Nadi, and $879 RT from Honolulu. Sale ends June 14.

fijiairways.com/bookings/…

We have found it much cheaper to book our flights from Reno to LAX ourselves separately, rather than booking them through Fiji Airways when we book our flights to Nadi.

Hope this helps.

East Coast
Level Contributor
115 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bucket List trip-Fiji

Thanks for all this info!!!! I'll be flying from DC so that adds an extra 5 hrs What I'm seeing is $1600-2200 air and 27 hrs trip!!! But bucket list means you do something memorable you don't normally do.

My two choices are mid September or end of October. Does it matter weather wise?

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
190 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bucket List trip-Fiji

Our air from Indianapolis was ~$1500 when I booked last month. You will be fine with either of those times. We are headed to Navini in early October.

East Coast
Level Contributor
115 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bucket List trip-Fiji

So I'm not chancing it by going in October? Because the Internet says that October is rain season or the beginning of it. As you can imagine I would hate to go all the way that far to make all that effort and hit rainy season so October would be best for me but I would rather go when I'm sure it's going to be dry.

East Coast
Level Contributor
115 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bucket List trip-Fiji

So I'm not chancing it by going in October? Because the Internet says that October is rain season or the beginning of it. As you can imagine I would hate to go all the way that far to make all that effort and hit rainy season so October would be best for me but I would rather go when I'm sure it's going to be dry.

East Coast
Level Contributor
115 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bucket List trip-Fiji

This place looks perfect for me. So I'm trying to get hold of them but have not heard back from them yet.

Waitakere City, New...
Destination Expert
for Mamanuca Islands
Level Contributor
2,591 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bucket List trip-Fiji

Hi morpion6, you'll need to allow for the time difference if you're calling the toll free number listed on their website. It connects directly to their office on the island, in Fiji. If it helps Fiji is in the same time zone as New Zealand and at the time of posting it is 7.20am here. Same applies to emails, replies will be sent during office hours but be aware the the internet in Fiji can cause delays at times.

Re the weather. We visited Navini in late Oct/early Nov 2012 and had no rain at all. The islands of the Mamanucas (where Navini is located) and the Yasawas do not get as much rain as the main (larger) islands, nor as much as the eastern division (Suva side). What rain there is tends to be brief, heavy and warm (think tropical downpour) and is unlikely to dominate your entire holiday. In fact it can provide a good excuse to catch a nap, read a bit or watch a DVD before resuming island life as normal - ie: swimming, snorkeling, kayaking or simply hanging in a swaying hammock enjoying a gentle breeze.