We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fiji Airways

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
17 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Fiji Airways

Anyone heard about Fiji Airways cancelling the late night flights ex Brisbane lately? Heard second hand that due to numbers they're bumping to the next day. Bit worried as the next day is a late morning flight meaning late arvo arrival meaning not getting to the island that day and having to overnight it in Nadi.

Hervey Bay...
Destination Expert
for Fiji
Level Contributor
1,225 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fiji Airways

Personally I would be contacting the airlines and speaking to them directly about it. That way you get the correct information...

Bellingen, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji, Mamanuca Islands, Navini Island
Level Contributor
8,656 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fiji Airways

Agree, contact the airline, will be a shame if it is scrapped, we used it often to avoid an overight stay in Nadi. When you find out let us know. They are still showing these flights as available on certain days of the week on their website.

Edited: 17 June 2014, 06:22
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
17 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fiji Airways

Got the usual blah, blah, blah from Fiji Airways about the need time to time to cancel flights due to unforseen circumstances...... Will be monitoring between now and when we are supposed to depart, as we planned and booked our trip around not having to overnight in Nadi. There's something special about departing Brisbane late one night and being on the beach on our island in the Yasawa's by mid-morning the next day.

Sydney
Level Contributor
2 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fiji Airways

Fiji Airways have massive problems. Their CEO rabbited on in 3 different articles in their in-flight mag about their record profit. It's obviously come from cancelling low yield flights at short notice and taking left-overs from prison catering. Their staff on ground and on the 2 flights we were on were nonchalant and took the whole 'Fiji time' a little too literally. Our outbound flight ex Sydney, scheduled for 6.30am was delayed 5.5 hours due to 'operational reasons.' The did tell us 3 days out, but it meant having to book a private Island transfer at considerable cost. Even that flight was delayed 1 hour. The return 6pm flight was delayed 13 hours. This time the notice was 3 hours but we had no warning as we were on our transfer. We waited in line for over an hour to get our voucher for the motel and meal, but the single staff member had been verbally beaten to a pulp and could offer no explanation, just a resigned shrug.

Did I mention the food? Appalling and virtually inedible. The service slow and disinterested. I will not fly Fiji Airways again nor will anyone else I spoke to, many of whom had small children as ot was school holidays. Virgin would appear to be the best option. QANTAS should re-think their codeshare arrangement too, they appear to be guilty by association.

Edited: 07 July 2014, 07:40
Bellingen, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji, Mamanuca Islands, Navini Island
Level Contributor
8,656 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fiji Airways

Unfortunately the poor staff cop the flack from everyone and it is not\ there fault. I agree that an explanation should have been given, it is very unusual that one was not. I think they can all have problems from time to time. We had a flight cancelled to Vanuatu and were put up overnight and treated so well, it was du to engine problems and they couldn't borrow (Air Vanuatu only had the one aircraft flying ex Australia) an aircraft, we flew out with Virgin next day and were able to extend our holiday to compensate and fly home later with no penalties with Virgin.Air Vanuatu picked up the bill for all passengers. That is how it should be done and it was school holidays too. No one got upset, I would rather not fly on a plane with issues. Having so said we have never had an issue with Fiji Airways recently or in the past. We have found them great with good service. I would be sorry to see the 'red eye' out of Brisbane go as it suits us. Yes you should have been given an explanation but spare a thought for the poor person copping everyones anger.

Edited: 07 July 2014, 07:51
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fiji Airways

We just returned from a 10day Holiday and travelled there and back with Fiji Airways. We originally booked to return to Australia via an 1830 flight that they rescheduled to 1330 and then later to 0700 the following day. This constant changing of our flights caused us unnecessary stress. Due to work commitments we couldn't leave a day later than we'd planned so we ended up flying out at 0900 on the day we had planned to fly, some 9.5hrs earlier than expected, effectively giving up the last day of our Holiday.

We spoke to our Travel Agent about the numerous flight changes on our return to Australia and they said Fiji Airways were cancelling a lot of flights lately. They said we were lucky we were staying on Denarau as we could at least leave on the same day we had planned (all be it a lot earlier). Many of their guests staying on the islands who had evening flights cancelled either had to take an extra days leave to fly out a day later or leave their island accommodation a day early (with no refund) due to the cancelled flights.

I'd recommend flying Virgin.

Sydney, Australia
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Fiji Airways

Yep, we just returned where they cancelled the early am flight out of Sydney and then the evening flight from Nadi. So if you're staying outside of Nadi it can take days away from your holiday.

We found their communication terrible & that they never actually did the things the customer service team said they would do ie book & issue tickets on an alternative flight, book overnight accom in Nadi due to the bound cancellation.

My advice: really push for your best solution if you have any problems ie transferred onto a Virgin or jetstar flight and double check everything with the alternate carrier or hotel. Goodluck!

Guernsey
Level Contributor
73 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fiji Airways

Does anyone know if there are cancellations and delays on the Hong Kong flights too?

Many thanks

Sydney
Level Contributor
248 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Fiji Airways

Would this happen during school holidays in Sep, I'm assuming these flights would be fairly heavily booked.

Sydney
Level Contributor
248 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Fiji Airways

Would this happen during school holidays in Sep, I'm assuming these flights would be fairly heavily booked.