We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

all inclusive offers for meals or pay as you go?

Coolamon, Australia
6 posts
Save Topic
all inclusive offers for meals or pay as you go?

We are a family of 9 ranging in ages 2 -52. Am wondering if we are better off taking the all inclusive meal package or just the breakfast package and then pay as we go. Ha s anyone done both and what are your thoughts?

Thanks

Dunedin
Destination Expert
for Mana Island, Fiji
Level Contributor
1,902 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: all inclusive offers for meals or pay as you go?

For us posters to provide information we need to know where you are planning to go i Fiji - ... & /what time of the year ? An Island Resort or on the mainland ? What is important - food, kids club, white sandy beaches etc.

Bellingen, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji, Mamanuca Islands, Navini Island
Level Contributor
8,656 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: all inclusive offers for meals or pay as you go?

Yes ;where are your going. Personally I prefer to pay as I go that way I am not paying for food I am not eating and it gives me the choice of eating elsewhere if I choose. I am not a fan of buffet style meals which a lot of packages seem to be preferring a la carte which I have found to be of better quality.

Hervey Bay...
Destination Expert
for Fiji
Level Contributor
1,225 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: all inclusive offers for meals or pay as you go?

Personally we've usually always paid for the Meal Plan when travelling with our 3 kids. The one time we didnt I found I was watching every cent we spent and I hated it! I much prefer for it all to be paid for before we go so I dont have to worry about how much everything is costing us.

However now the kids are much older now and choosing not to travel with us as often, I have to agree with Hooked in her reasonings and I would be more than happy to just pay as we go on our next trip since it will more than likely just be us.

I personally dont mind buffet meals. In fact anything I dont have to prepare and cook is totally fine with me! :) I find them much better for the kids as they can always find something they like. Many of the resorts now give you a credit amount to use at their A La Carte restaurant if they have one in place of the buffet meal offered in their meal plan.

Maree :)

Melbourne
Level Contributor
386 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: all inclusive offers for meals or pay as you go?

Hi

I agree with HOOKED ON as buffet style meals I hate as unless it is being served from the Buffet everybody is handling the food and serving equipment, On a ship about 8 years ago a virus went thru as the personal hygiene of some on board was not good about 1200 people went down since that time no self serve buffets for us, however a lot of resorts offer A la carte in the meal plans breakfast 2 course lunch 3 course dinner.his mainly happens at the smaller ones TokoRiki ,WANANAVU Beach etc. The good thing about a meal plan is you know exactly how much you are up for.

But as requested let the forum know location and month it helps

Edited: 02 July 2014, 05:05
Coolamon, Australia
6 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: all inclusive offers for meals or pay as you go?

Thanks to everyone for their imput. Still undecided as I can see pros and cons for both sides. Incidentally we are staying at Naviti in January, maybe there is someone out there who has been there and can let me know their thoughts.

Australia
Level Contributor
1,474 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: all inclusive offers for meals or pay as you go?

Hi Rhonda, have stayed at the Naviti a few years back and had the all inclusive...if you are staying the entire time at the Naviti I'd go the meal plan but if you've hired cars or lots of tours just the breakfast as you'll waste lunches and maybe some dinners....we did find it worthwhile as everything was all paid for before we arrived and meals can be very costly especially for the ones with older children who no longer get the eat free deal...hope that's helped a bit..oh and you're drinks are included as well which was really worth it...

Ballarat, Australia
Level Contributor
1,965 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: all inclusive offers for meals or pay as you go?

Done the all inclusive at Naviti. It worked well and can recommend it. Naviti has 4 restaurants in total with three open at Dinner. If you decide to go off the all inclusive menu then the restaurant will arrange a credit. Last time we were there it was F$25.00. In the grog stakes, beer, house wine, soft drinks and house spirits were included in the price. Beer was Fiji Bitter you had to pay extra for Fiji Gold.

In the main dining room where you eat breakfast and lunch there used to be a counter where the kids could get their icecream which our kids loved and they have a swim up bar which the kids love to swim up to and get a cool drink. Hope this gives you some idea

When we were there the Bamboo Terrace Restaurant was lovely.

Have a great trip.

Also remember the staff are on Fiji Time which can be a little frustrating until you get used to it. However it is the staff that make this resort, give them the respect they deserve and you will get it back in spades.

Remember they also like you to make an effort to speak their language and it is actually quite a lot of fun, so here are a few hints:

Bula - Hello, Vinaka - Thank you, Vinaka Vakalevu - Big Thank you, Moce (pronounced Mothe) - Good bye

Hope this helps

Baz

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
745 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: all inclusive offers for meals or pay as you go?

We stayed at the Naviti last year, September,. The all inclusive is the way to go. We missed a few lunches 'cos we were out on tours but I think we had more than enough drinks to make up for this. The three restaurants for dinner offer lots of choices. You can choose something not included in the inclusive deal, for very little more. Not having to worry about what you had spent, made the whole time more enjoyable. As Baz said the staff at the Naviti are the best. We also stayed on one of the outer Islands. The staff were very good but Naviti wins hands down.

9. Re: all inclusive offers for meals or pay as you go?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 July 2015, 05:17