We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Much to see in Sigatoka town?

Hobart
Level Contributor
137 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Much to see in Sigatoka town?

Hi!

Has anyone been to Sigatoka? Is there much to see in the town? Local markets, shops, restaurants?

We are staying at Bedarra Beach Inn and the Intercontinental... Is it worth cabbing into town? How much would a cab cost?

Mentioned in this post
Bedarra Beach Inn
Bedarra Beach Inn
1,183 Reviews
Viti Levu, Fiji
Sigatoka
Sigatoka
Viti Levu, Fiji
Tea Gardens...
Destination Expert
for Mana Island
Level Contributor
1,761 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Much to see in Sigatoka town?

Except for shopping there is no much to do in Sigatoka itself. The markets can be a bit scarey with people trying to drag you into their stalls. For things to do surrounding Sigatoka log on to ttp://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Attractions-g294336-Activities-Sigatoka_Coral_Coast_Viti_Levu.html

Mentioned in this post
Sigatoka
Sigatoka
Viti Levu, Fiji
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Much to see in Sigatoka town?

From the Bedarra you can walk to the round about and catch a local bus that takes you into town for a few dollars. A taxi would be around $10 from Bedarra but you can confirm that once you arrive. I'd go to Sigatoka for a look around. The fruit and vege markets aren't pushy at all and are really interesting. However the jewellery market stalls are really pushy and I wouldn't go into them. Bula dresses and shirts are really lovely and well prices. Going into Tappoo to cool down with an ice-cream or drink/lunch is a treat after walking around town. You could visit the Mission school which had a bad fire recently and classrooms burnt down. They'd love used text books, exercise books,pencils. The Intercontinental is quite far from Sigatoka so I wouldn't worry about going into town from there. Just relax on the beach :)

Mentioned in this post
Sigatoka
Sigatoka
Viti Levu, Fiji
Whangaparaoa, New...
Level Contributor
3 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Much to see in Sigatoka town?

Hi, just got back a couple of weeks ago and caught the local bus into Sigatoka. Comes right past your hotel every 15-20 minutes and only a$1. Cheaper and more fun than a $35 return taxi and only takes about 15-20 minutes. Just enjoy the experience of being there. Go to the municipal market by the bus station but as others said be careful . The pressure to buy can be overwhelming but still an interesting experience

Mentioned in this post
Sigatoka
Sigatoka
Viti Levu, Fiji
Dunedin
Destination Expert
for Mana Island, Fiji
Level Contributor
2,227 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Much to see in Sigatoka town?

I have just returned from 3 weeks in Fiji and stayed a week at Bedarra Beach Inn. A local bus costs $1-00 (one way) from Bedarra to Sigatoka, a local taxi (not a hire taxi) costs $9-00 one way to Sigatoka. The Sigatoka market is quite fun to visit (not at all scary, but be firm as to what you are looking for to purchase); Prouds and Tappoos (Fiji artifacts, handicrafts, clothes, coffee shop (with real coffee); many other local shops selling trinkets, local clothes, some local restaurants; fresh bread shops, small supermarkets; banks and atms; and always quite a lot of tourists around during daytime. Plenty of alternative eating establishments near Bedarra - Pizza outlet, at end of road another two local restaurants (mix of food) cheap drinks and very friendly owners/staff. I noticed lots of Outrigger and Bedarra visitors at these places. I went to Outrigger for a meal one night (easy walk from Bedarra as Outrigger is located directly above) and was surprised to find the following: On asking at the main front desk - cash or credit card? Answer - both are accepted! After eating the waiter casually advises that the Outrigger is now a cashless resort! So a 3.5%cc charge added. I then proceeded to the cocktail bar to watch Super 15 rugby - again cc only. Managed to speak successfully to the duty manager who allowed me to pay cash for a couple of drinks. Although outsiders/visitors are made very welcome at Outrigger be aware of the payment facilities, as there are several restaurants, bars - all payments are processed separately for each area & incur the credit card surcharges. Enjoy Bedarra - fabulous food & service, friendly staff, large rooms, no tv or phones and great Spa facilities.

Mentioned in this post
Bedarra Beach Inn
Bedarra Beach Inn
1,183 Reviews
Viti Levu, Fiji
Fiji
Fiji
South Pacific
Sigatoka
Sigatoka
Viti Levu, Fiji
5. Re: Much to see in Sigatoka town?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 July 2015, 05:15