We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Air New Zealand Premium Economy food question.

Waitakere City, New...
Destination Expert
for Mamanuca Islands
Level Contributor
2,590 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Air New Zealand Premium Economy food question.

For the mere three hour flight to Fiji normally I book as cheap as possible and take a few snacks with us but.... we've ended up with seats in premium economy (the spacie jobs) for our next flight and since this will be a new experience and we'll also be flying on hubbys birthday I'm thinking of upgrading our tickets to "The Works" - food and drinks included. Is the food in PE decent? I'm presuming it will be lunch given that we land at 1pm NZ time.

Thoughts? Worth it or don't bother?

nz
Destination Expert
for Norfolk Island, Noosaville, Rarotonga
Level Contributor
5,789 posts
240 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Air New Zealand Premium Economy food question.

Hi Dianz

On Trans Tasman and PI flights the food and drink offerings in premium economy are exactly the same as in economy.

Only on long-haul flights where there are 3 classes of seats sold - economy, PE and Business does the food differ from economy.

But you do get the nice space seats for an economy fare.

As for the meal - what time does your flight take off? I've been on flights that land around that time and only breakfast is served.

Waitakere City, New...
Destination Expert
for Mamanuca Islands
Level Contributor
2,590 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Air New Zealand Premium Economy food question.

Ahh, good to know, thanks for that. I will save our $$$ then and put them towards a nice dinner once we arrive.

Lobster sounds good. :))

nz
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,789 posts
240 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Air New Zealand Premium Economy food question.

That sounds like a good plan. Enjoy!

Dunedin
Destination Expert
for Mana Island, Fiji
Level Contributor
1,932 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Air New Zealand Premium Economy food question.

Have just returned from 3 weeks in Fiji - Dunedin-Nadi return. I always book Works Deluxe - seat either 1A or 1F (window) on the new Airbuses - it is 3 & 3 seating. Works Deluxe guarantees no neighbour (and this does happen).

Bottled water is given, high grade earphones, newspaper. Food and drinks are included. Leaving Auckland around 4.30pm was served 'dinner' which was butter chicken, rice, bread roll, icecream dessert and cake. Then cheese/biscuits/grapes. Most types of drinks are available & plentiful. Returning (on an Airbus) departing 8.30pm ex Nadi, dinner was lamb pieces (in mild spicy sauce), bread roll, vegetables, mash, cake dessert, cheeses/biscuits/grapes. There are 2 choices only. As far as I could see food is same for 'Works' but no bottled water, cheese/biscuits/grapes! Those in economy can order from the snack menu, but didn't notice many doing this. Payment for snacks/drinks is by credit card. Lucky for most it is only a 3-hour trip Auckland-Nadi - either going or returning I have to sit at Auckland overnight (say 6 hours) due to flight schedules ex/to Dunedin. And for those who may have to do this, remember that the Domestic Terminal at Auckland does not open its doors until 5.30AM. Check-in does not commence till 6AM.

nz
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,789 posts
240 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Air New Zealand Premium Economy food question.

flicarose

You're quite right that the food and drink for WORKS is the same as WDL except, as you say, for bottled water, cheese and biscuits and, when available, newspapers.

Dianz is obviously on a 777-300 to have space seats in what is the PE cabin.

Edited: 28 July 2014, 05:45
Auckland Region...
Level Contributor
277 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Air New Zealand Premium Economy food question.

For pricing and better flight times, we tend to fly up Fiji Airways and back Air NZ.

Our trip next month is to celebrate our 20 yr wedding anniversary, so we treated ourselves and upgraded to business class coming home on a 777-200.

For future reference, I will post details of the experience.

Interestingly when we decided to upgrade, Air NZ did not charge a change fee (just the $250 each fare difference) but FA wanted to charge and would not waive their NZD$120 each change fee - even though we were prepared to pay the extra NZD$300 each to upgrade to business class! A little disappointing I thought.

Edited: 28 July 2014, 23:53
7. Re: Air New Zealand Premium Economy food question.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 July 2015, 06:16