We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fiji on a backpacker's budget

Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Fiji on a backpacker's budget

I am planning on going to fiji, for 1-2 weeks (my plans are very flexible, not sure if two weeks would be too long or not). After doing some research I think I would like to spend my time in the yasawas and the manamucas. I will be staying in the dormitory style accom, just wondering if anyone has any recommendations on which islands to stay on? Thoughts on the meal plans?

Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
448 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fiji on a backpacker's budget

For me 2 weeks is not long enough :)

The Yasawa Island group is very popular with backpackers and the Awesome Adventures Website has quite a bit of info - http://www.awesomefiji.com

Depending on how many Islands you wish to visit the Bula Pass is not the most economical of options - Individual transfers are cheaper.

We recently stayed at Manta Ray and would go back instantly.

The food was very good and the chef very passionate about his menu.

We then returned to Blue Lagoon Beach Resort where the staff remembered us from last year and the food was also very good.

People we later saw at Blue Lagoon who had been at Manta Ray when we were there said MR and BLBR had the best food.

I would be inclined to look at Octopus, Manta Ray and Blue Lagoon or even Oarsmans next door (They share the same beach).

Edited: 25 August 2014, 10:15
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fiji on a backpacker's budget

Thank you! Ahhh i know two weeks isn't really long enough, but I just backpacked aus for six weeks, and still have NZ and fiji, only if I had unlimited money :)

Is the coral coast worth visiting on the mainland?

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
163 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fiji on a backpacker's budget

Hi Sarah!

When are you going?

I have booked myself into Blue Lagoon Resort 4 nights and Octopus Resort 4 nights :) in Late October.

Have never been to Fiji, but if you have already been to Aus. I think 10 days will do it for you!

Waitakere City, New...
Destination Expert
for Mamanuca Islands
Level Contributor
2,592 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fiji on a backpacker's budget

Hi Sarah, welcome to the forum. Things to be aware of are that there is no really easy way of transferring directly between the Mamanuca Islands and the Yasawas, it can be done but usually involves heading back to Denarau to pick up the correct boat transfer service for each of these areas. Also for the majority of places in the Yasawas (and some of the Mamanucas as well) have no other option than to go with the meal plan. Often this is because they are the only place to eat on the island they are located on (even on larger islands with more than one accommodation provider it's not the norm to be able to simply 'pop over' to another resort to explore different eating, drinking and entertainment options).

Check out Awesome Adventures as mrfreezetas has suggested, they offer a variety of packages and ways to structure a Yasawa itinerary to suit individuals. This will also give you a base to compare costs to, sometimes it's cheaper to book directly especially if you are only wanting to stay at two or three different places rather than island hopping every couple of days.

5. Re: Fiji on a backpacker's budget

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 August 2015, 06:16