We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any advice?

Sydney
Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Any advice?

Hi all

Any advice for The Anchorage Hotel on the mainland? Read very mixed reviews.

My parents are going to fiji in jan (stayin at octopus) but first staying on the mainland for 3 nights (2 days) and want to relax by the pool, possibly go fishing once and and go into nadi once.

also haven't heard much more on the coup can anyone fill me in?

Thanks Heaps

Lara

Kyogle, Australia
Level Contributor
600 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any advice?

Hi Lalii

You don't ,mention how long your parents are staying at the Octupus, But I have just returned from Fiji (12th Nov) after being there for 8 days. There was NO coup. We were there during the supposed peak time, and saw absolutely nothing. Most overseas tourists knew nothing about it. It was the Aust'n & NZ Govt & Media doing their usual scare mungaring tactics. I am over 50 & my two companions were mid 20's. We had 5 inghts on the Coral Caost ( 1/2 way between Nadi & Suva) at the Hideaway Resort.. Had the best time there and did lots of local things which i nvolved villagers, inland tours, bamboo rafting, mountain trekking, lots of fun. Then moved back to Nadi to the Mercure. Mercure is reseaonably modern & clean, but I would not stay there again. It is very near the airport, but we were not bothered with noise.

I don't know much about fishing in Fiji, so would suggest you do your research as to where the best places are, then find accommodation near to where those tours leave etc, presume though it would be either Nadi or Denarau Island.

Check out www.seafiji.net (advertises game & sport fishing day tours). Also www.jasons.com ( travel site) order the fiji visitors guide and other maps. They are free and a mind of information.

Hope they enjoy themselves as much as I did. We did not have time for lazing by the pool we went to enjoy the l ocals and did just that.

Cheers-Carol

queensland
Level Contributor
291 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any advice?

Hi ho Flossy52,

Sorry to bother you but i was reading your reply to Lara and noticed that you had done Bamboo rafting and Mountain trekking and wanted to know where you did them from. We are staying at the Warwick which is just up the road from where you stayed and wanted to see if the place was close to that. If you have any details i would be very greatfull for your input. Every time we go to Fiji we never really leave the resorts but this time we would love to do a few things that get the heart racing.

Cheers...Warwick

Kyogle, Australia
Level Contributor
600 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any advice?

Hi Warick,

We did all local things and did not stay /laze around at the resort. The mountain trekking may have been abit exagggerated, but one of the activities guides from Hideaway took us up the mountain opposite the resort so we could see the coastal views and get some lovely photo's of the reef etc from a higher view. Took us about 1.5 hrs return in the middle of the day. The water looked so blue from up there.

We did "The Cave tour" to the Naihehe Cave inland from Sigatoka via the Adventures in Paradise Fiji group. Best ever. 1.5klm walk through field, paddocks, village into a hugh cave which was the retreating place for the last cannibal tribe from warriors some 120 years ago. We did bamboo rafting down river on our return. It was fabulous. Horses, cattle, children adults all swimming in the river on our way down. The d ay was full of h istory and learning of their way of life and survival many many decades ago.

We also did the Namuama Inland tour. ( we picked up from the warrick so turn off was past there.) Out of this world. We were long boated 19klm upstream through magnificent forest, lots of waterfalls ( even had a swim in one) to visit a village. Did lots there , had lunch etc etc, then on our return trip we also had a bamboo raft ride ( only a short distance compared to the other) and it was made differently. We booked these through our travel agent before we left Aust. Both were exceptional. Many tours are available, you just have to do your research and work out pricing.

Hope this helps

Cheers

queensland
Level Contributor
291 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any advice?

Thanks heeps Flossy52,

Your info was great and it sounds like you had a ball. I will get in contact with our travel agent and see what they have. We were going to wait till we got there and go and see Rosies Tours but ill take your advice and sort it out before hand. Thank you again for replying as the more info we have the better off we will be,mind you we will still have a few lazy days just to catch our breath,haha.

Take care...cheers...Warwick

PS....just wanted to know what you thought of Hidaway as we are with Trend west and they have that on their books and we have 3 weeks stored and we were thinking of that resort for 2008,always thinking of the next holiday. Thanks.

Kyogle, Australia
Level Contributor
600 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Any advice?

reply for warrick.apologies for the length between responses. Life has bee busy.

Hideaway resort was absolutely fabulous. I was very pleased with it. Very friendly, lovely atmosphere, with great customer service. Staff were always happy and friendly, regardless of time of day or night. They have organised activities, if you want to be involved, from 7am-10pm. They have no TV,radio, Clock in your rooms. Though the beach is currently getting awash with grey pumice from volcanoes apparently from samoa, it doesn't detract too much. I found the snorkelling great with so many fish, though the coral was bland,, but they are doing regeneration in areas. Hideaway was well situated, for touring locally. You can bus back to Sigatoka, or hitch a ride elsewhere. We did local tours, eg Cave tour & Inland tours. They were fabulous. Hideaway very family oriented, with a great kids club with activities, all day or else I noticed young parents had time out of an evening as a n anny looked after their child so they had a nice quiet evening meal together.

In otherwords, I would highly recomend Hideaway for a holiday. and certainly would return there.

Hope this helps you warrick.

Cheers

queensland
Level Contributor
291 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Any advice?

thanks so much flossy52,

I know what its like with work and other comitments. Your info was great and i think we will be staying there after our Warwick holiday, our daughter is 20 now so we dont have to bother with kids club,thank god.

Thanks again,

Cheers......Warwick

Brisbane, Australia
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Any advice?

We are booked into the Achorage at the end of January, did anyone contact you regarding what it was like?

Also, can anyone tell us where to book for the Namuama Inland Tour before we leave Australia?

8. Re: Any advice?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 August 2009, 06:26