We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spinner Dolphins?

Kimberley BC
Level Contributor
105 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Spinner Dolphins?

Hi everyone, 10 days untill we leave for Matangi...(next time we book a holiday it won't be 5 months in advance!)What a long wait!

Does anyone know if we're likely to see Spinner Dolphins on the Taveuni north east side in Feb?

We would love to see them twist and spin but I have not been able to find anything on here about which areas they inhabit or migration times/routes, (if they migrate at all).Hopefully one of the locals can help us out....Thanks, Dev.

queensland
Level Contributor
291 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Spinner Dolphins?

Hi ho Rider,

Just wanted to agree with you regarding the length of time we have to count down...we booked our holiday 9mths ago and its taken forever to get here...only 21 more sleeps and im so excited.

Hope you find out about the Spinner Dolphins as they sound beautiful. Well i hope you have a fantastic holiday.

PS...we are now sorting out our next holiday for 2008,hahaha....we never learn.

Cheers....Warwick

Kimberley BC
Level Contributor
105 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Spinner Dolphins?

Well Thanks Warwick,I hope you have a great holiday too!

Fiji Islands
Level Contributor
693 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Spinner Dolphins?

BULA Kimberley!

I live on the main island, but for a 2 year stint (these past 2 years) I lived in Savusavu, on Vanua Levu, which is the island over from Taveuni. On Savusavu is the South Pacific's largest bay - Natewa Bay. There there are 2 spinner dolphin pods - and about 30-50 dolphins in each pod. They play in the bay all morning, swim out in the afternoon, and return back at night. Nobody seems to know where they go in the afternoon, but they are definitely there, year round. I've visited them many times, and they are glorious. It's an amazing experience to see them in this beautiful bay.

I do know that my friends at Maravu resort, on Taveuni, say they often see dolphins out in front of the resort, so I'm hoping that you'd be able to see them by Matangi. I've lived on the main island for around 10 years (minus the 2 in Savusavu) and we've seen them frequently here when we'd boat out to snorkel, dive or fish.

Unless you can take an overnight or two stay in Savusavu, where it's practically guaranteed that you'll see the dolphins of Natewa Bay, it's really a guess whether you will see them. I hope so - they are spectacular!

ENJOY - and 5 months planning is really not that far ahead - I have people booked for trips to Fiji a year ahead of time!

queensland
Level Contributor
291 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Spinner Dolphins?

Hi ho FijiSuz,

I just wanted to ask your advice...as you know we have only 20 sleeps till we are back in beautiful Fiji and we are organising our next trip [ march 2008 ] and i wanted to know if we are better off doing the bookings through our travel agent or going direct to resort. I have read mixed reports regarding this matter and needed your imput.

As usuall we will stay at the Warwick and we are members of trend west and might give Hidaway a go as well. We want to stay for about 2mths next time so have you any sugestions..yes we will be doing island stays as well.

Hope you can help me as we are not sure as to who will give us the better deal.

Cheers....Warwick....20 more sleeps and counting

Kimberley BC
Level Contributor
105 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Spinner Dolphins?

Thanks for the info Fiji-Suz, hopefully we will see them around Matangi....I've also heard that the 'non-stop' flight to Matei is just as likely to stop in Savusavu so who knows,maybe we'll get held up there for a bit and get a chance to have a look!...One can hope.

I do realize that many people book further in advance than we did.I guess being first time travellers,we were not sure what to expect !

Thanks again, Dev.

6. Re: Spinner Dolphins?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 August 2009, 19:20