We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning a Castaway Holiday for 5, some questions and advice

Canberra
Level Contributor
41 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Planning a Castaway Holiday for 5, some questions and advice

Hello,

we are planning a holiday to Castaway in October 2008..I know its a ways off but as a family of five we have to plan and budget in advance. I have checked out the Castaway site but I am a bit confused about bure arrangements, seems they are mainly set up for 2 adults 2 kids or else we need to go for the family bure of which there is only 1 and sleeps 10 which is too big. We have a 9 year old son, a 5 year old daughter and a 3 year old son. Has anyone been to castaway in groups of five?? any advice on how we book a bure to suit?

We are also thinking of combining the trip with my sisters family of four (we could get the 10 sleeper..but I think we would be any advantage cost wise in booking together?

Also does anyone have any advice on what the weather would be like early October? and what would be a good number of days to stay, we were thinking 10 days would be a great relaxing stay, but any opinions would be great.

My eldest also suffers from ADHD/Autism, do you think that Castaway would be a good active style holiday for him, he does tend to need routine but he also gets bored easily and need lots of stimulating things to do.

Finally, any other potentially money saving tips for families would be most appreciated (love the tips so far on taking our own wine!!)

sorry there are so many questions, but we really need a holiday and have so many questions that this is definitely the best site to get them answered in !!!

cheers

Alex

Canberra

Canberra
Level Contributor
41 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning a Castaway Holiday for 5, some questions and advice

sorry, made a typing glitch in the second paragraph, its meant to read..

"We are also thinking of combining the trip with my sisters family of four (we could get the 10 sleeper..but I think we would end up driving each other mad, on the other hand would there be any advantage cost wise in booking together)"

cheers

A.

Australia
Level Contributor
1,474 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning a Castaway Holiday for 5, some questions and advice

I don't know how big your 3 yearold is but you could email Castaway resort directly and ask if he can sleep in a cot instead of having to get the very expensive family bure. We have 3 children and our youngest who was 4 slept with us in the huge King size bed and still plenty of room.

We too stayed in Oct and the weather was abosultely beautiful, did get very hot around mid day onwards, watch the kids when swimming in the ocean as the sun burns very fast.

If there is a meal deal special available for when you go get it, we did for a one off payment of $100 through our travel agent and got all meals included for our entire stay.

We stayed 5 nights after spending 5 nights else where and I wish we'd spent the whole time at Castaway but my husband gets bored too quick so 5 nights was enough for him, the kids didn't want to leave.

Rene

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
549 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning a Castaway Holiday for 5, some questions and advice

ditto previous post the bures are fairly spacious, I think you could fit 3 kids especially a 3/4 year old. If it's school holidays and they're booked out they may be stricter on the 4 policy than if its off peak time. I would definately try really hard to get them to agree to letting you have 5 in the bure.

Besides wine, try and pick up snacks, softdrinks at the Denaru wharf (there is a supermarket there) before you catch the boat to Castaway. Because it's an island everything in the gift shop is really expensive. There is a charge for all water based motorised activities so another way to save money is to avoid these e.g. snorkell off the beach vs taking the reef trip.

Kids club is excellent so I think your son would be kept busy. We loved our trip in June 07 and are going back in June 08, hopefully it will be as good.

Canberra
Level Contributor
41 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Planning a Castaway Holiday for 5, some questions and advice

thanks for the advice, i will email the resort and ask about the cot bed or even if my little one can sleep in the bed with us..not so good for a romantic holiday away (he he.

also any advice on the best bure numbers to request, I prefer a more sheltered position but am happy totake on others experiences.

cheers

A

wellington
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Planning a Castaway Holiday for 5, some questions and advice

Good luck with getting your family of five into a bure at Castaway. They officially say max 4 but it always pays to ask direct as they sometimes bend the rules when the resort is not full. Another useful place to look is www.travelwithkidsonline.com where you can find a special section devoted to Family of Five! Have a great trip.

Canberra
Level Contributor
41 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Planning a Castaway Holiday for 5, some questions and advice

thanks travelmum!! that special section for families of five was great, the have castaway listed as a possibility but only during non-school holiday period.

I might also look at treasure and plantation island resorts see if they can accommodate five. back to the forum board to get some reviews on those.

cheers

Alex

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
15 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Planning a Castaway Holiday for 5, some questions and advice

Hi, I was in Castaway island less than 2 months ago, with my 2 kids aged 12 and 11, and I found the bures to be roomy enough, for even 1 more child, only thing is there are 2 day beds(which are great sizes) and the queen bed separate, so you'll have to ask the resort if they can supply you with another bed in the room, I do feel the room is sufficient in size..

My children spent most of their time in and out of the beach and the pool, there was also a games room, and the boys used to go and play table tennis every so often.. The resort shop is very expensive, so if you can grab your bottled water from the mainland as well as in between meal snacks for the kids, as everything in the shop appears to be double in price.. We bought with us snacks for the room, such as chips and biscuits...

I have to admit that after 4 days my boys started to get a little bored, we left on day 5, and then headed for the mainland to the Shangri la fijian resort, which we had booked 2 rooms interconnecting, on the lagoon view side, and found this resort to have more activities for the boys, such as a big games room, with pool tables, table tennis, and plenty of electronic machine games, that my kids loved to visit in between meal time and swims..

The staff at Castaway island were lovely and very friendly, and if you do go, make sure the family tries the gourmet pizza, in the bar upstairs, they make it on the spot and its divine!

I hope that is helpful for you.... Jo

8. Re: Planning a Castaway Holiday for 5, some questions and advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 September 2009, 01:16