We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Malolo/Castaway or Vomo with young kids?

Sydney
Level Contributor
43 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Malolo/Castaway or Vomo with young kids?

Hi, we have two kids - one and two years old and are looking for a vacation to Fiji.

We would appreciate any opinions as to the best option from the above. The things that are important to us are:

1) a separate sleeping area for the kids - so a bure big enough to slide a door into the sleeping area - comparing between Deluxe beachfront bure at Malolo, Castaway beachfront bure and beachfront bure at Vomo

2) good food (does not have to be gourmet, but better than say Treasure)

3) beautiful beach with great snorkelling off the beach

4) great nanny service - we found at treasure it was more babysitting than people really looking after our kids - we came back and our son was just standing in his portacot.

we are also looking into Cousteau - so any opinions on that most grateful!

Thanks

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
549 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Malolo/Castaway or Vomo with young kids?

I have only been to Castaway but researched Fiji intensely prior to our last trip. Castaway bures are stand along, they have a high sliding screen between the main bedroom and the lounge area where kids sleep. The pictures on their website are accurate re how the bures are configured. It's not as private as walled separate rooms but a lot better than open plan.

I am unsure of the Malolo configuration but they are in a duplex arrangement.

If you like gourmet food I would describe the Castaway food as good, not great. E.g. breakast is a nice hot/cold buffet but it's NOT like a 5 star hotel layout. Vomo the food is reportedly excellent.

Castaway has a nice smallish white sand main beach. It has good snorkelling. Even better snorkelling can be had taking one of daily trips to the inner reef (around $10 per person I think). Castaway has a high quality in house dive operation.

Castaway has an excellent Nanny service but it does depend on the individual. If you find someone you like you can engage them for the duration of your stay. If you don't like the first person you get you can swap no problem.

Castaway and Malolo are family islands and priced accordingly. Cousteau and Vomo are a step up in terms of food, accommodation and service.

If you want 5 star all the way than Vomo or Cousteau would probably be better choices. If you are happy with decent quality 4 star resorts go Castaway or Malolo.

Sydney
Level Contributor
43 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Malolo/Castaway or Vomo with young kids?

Thank you for your response, that is really helpful - to be honest, I know any of them would be great - and certainly beat Australian/New Zealand winter!!!

3. Re: Malolo/Castaway or Vomo with young kids?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 December 2009, 06:18