We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Submersible trip from Tokoriki Is and underwater photos???

Rural SA
Level Contributor
286 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Submersible trip from Tokoriki Is and underwater photos???

I was just looking at some photos and saw some fabulous pics someone had taken through a sub window. I'm not a great swimmer and thought this would guarantee myself and our 4 year old some under the sea sight-seeing. Can anyone recommend an excursion? Ideally, it's something I'd like to try on a day trip to another island from Amunuca resort. Which island resorts have submersibles?

Also, was thinking of risking our little point and shoot in a water proof case whilst snorkelling. We have a dslr too as a backup. Has anyone got any tips?

thanks

Mel

Reno, Nv
Destination Expert
for Matangi Island, Fiji
Level Contributor
5,945 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Submersible trip from Tokoriki Is and underwater photos???

Don't know about submersibles. Some resorts have glass bottom boats for coral viewing. Try contacting Tokoriki and Amunuca to see, if they have them.

Recommend taking an underwater camera. So many colorful fish and beautiful coral to see when snorkeling. You can not get cases for all cameras. I have a Cannon PowerShot D10. No case needed and takes great pictures.

As for not being a strong swimmer. Most resorts have life vests. I get one from the dive shop at the resort we visit.

Rural SA
Level Contributor
286 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Submersible trip from Tokoriki Is and underwater photos???

I am fairly sure Amunuca resort doesn't have one but I will double check. While there, I wanted to visit Mana Island. I was hoping they might have a glass bottomed boat.

I'll definitely ask the dive shop about vests as I want to make sure they have the really small pfd1 types for pre-schoolers.

- Thanks very much

Reno, Nv
Destination Expert
for Matangi Island, Fiji
Level Contributor
5,945 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Submersible trip from Tokoriki Is and underwater photos???

You're very welcome. You might want to e-mail the resort beforehand regarding life vests for children. Some posters on this site take noodles or blow up vests for their children.

Here are a few suggestions of things to take with you when vacationing in Fiji.

1. Suntan lotion high SP. The sun can be brutal. You will need lots of it as you will be re-applying it every few hours. Suntan lotion is very expensive to buy in Fiji.

2. Bug spray, if not supplied by the resort. Better off take it and not need it. Will be pricey should you need to buy it.

3. Bandaids, anti-itch spray for bites, antibiotic cream for cuts. Coral or other cuts can cause serious infection and take a lot of time to heal, waterproof bandaids, alcohol or hydro-peroxide for cleaning cuts, aspirin, something for an upset stomach as you may be eating food other than you are use to, or any other over the counter medicine you think you might need. Again, will cost an arm and leg should you need to buy these things in Fiji.

4. Underwater camera. Too many amazing things to see. Be sure to take extra memory cards unless taking a laptop computer to store photos. You could also use a disposable underwater camera.

5. Laptop computer will allows you to download pictures every day and listen to music when in your bure. Also take a couple of DVD's for entertainment on a rainy day.

6. Mask and snorkel. Masks at the resorts can be scratched due to use and may not fit well. Nothing worse than a leaky mask. Even though the snorkels are cleaned by the resort, there is just something about knowing no one else has used it. Some resorts also charge for use of snorkelling equipment.

7. If planning to visit a village/school take some school supplies. It is not required. Anything you take will be greatly appreciated. Suggested items include pens, pencils, rulers, colored pencils, erasers, pencil sharpeners, crayons, books, maps, clothes, toothbrushes, first aid kits, blowup globes of the world. For the teachers: flash cards and stickers to put on papers for a job well done. If you can, purchase souvenirs at the village as the money goes directly to support the village/school. If you choose you can also donate money. Besides necessities, take something fun for the children: funky sunglasses, blow horns, kites, firsbies, yo yo's, balloons, jump ropes, balls, and post cards of where you live. The children enjoy seeing another part of the world.

8. Drinks at the resorts can be pricey. Take the amount of alcohol you are allowed to bring by customs. You can also purchase spirits at the duty free shop in Nadi after clearing Customs. If you prefer a certain brand of wine, whiskey, gin, etc. you might consider taking it from home. Also make sure you pick up some bottled water as this can be expensive at the resorts. The water at most of the resorts is fine to drink, but it is better to be safe than sorry. Nothing will ruin a holiday faster than an upset tummy.

Edited: 14 August 2010, 23:38
Rural SA
Level Contributor
286 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Submersible trip from Tokoriki Is and underwater photos???

That's a really comprehensive list - thanks and I had most of thos things in mind. It's realistic to expect that one in five of us stands a chance of getting travellers tummy so as well as being armed with immodium, thought we'd give Travalan a go which is more of a preventative measure. I don't want any of us to have to miss a day because we might be bed-ridden.Sunscreen is a given, we use it daily here anyway. I'm taking mozzie coils, citronella candles, personal insect repellant.

We definitely plan on a school visit, so thanks for the info there. Not sure about investing in an underwater camera but will definitely get masks - a reviewer of the resort I'm going to suggested that too.

I'm taking wine (we come from a wine producing area and hubby works for Fosters) plus will get duty free too..will declare everything through customs.

I've copied your suggestions into Word and will keep them handy. Thanks again.

ps. I saw Fiji water in my local Coles supermarket! It made me giggle. Thought that those who are addicted to Fiji might want to indulge in it at home in Oz!

Adelaide
Level Contributor
112 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Submersible trip from Tokoriki Is and underwater photos???

I think I remember reading that Plantation Island have a semi-submersible sub that you can see the coral, fish etc. from and take photos. I'm not sure of the cost but think it was about$25FJ each.

Rural SA
Level Contributor
286 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Submersible trip from Tokoriki Is and underwater photos???

Thanks Glenlan

I messaged a Mana devotee and she confirmed they have a boat there. Really want to see Mana as it's loved by so many. I'd happily check out Planation too but am going to Amunuca resort to chill out so don't want to cram in too many excursions. Approx costs for the Mana boat, in case anyone's wondering are 30fjd - adults, 15 for kids. I've emailed Amunuca resort to see if they have a day trip to Mana.

~ Mel

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,113 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Submersible trip from Tokoriki Is and underwater photos???

Mana has a semi submersible that takes you out to see the reef just inside the lagoon. It is a great way for young kids to see the coral and fish if they don't snorkel.

As for life vests for kids, I always take my own for my 4 year old. That way I know it fits properly. We also take our own snorkelling equipment.

Nola :)

Rural SA
Level Contributor
286 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Submersible trip from Tokoriki Is and underwater photos???

Thanks Nola - it's my four year old, Joel that I'm thinking of although we may all want to get in on the act! Plus we don't have an underwater camera so it might be an opportunity to get some snaps too.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,113 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Submersible trip from Tokoriki Is and underwater photos???

My four year old, Noah, loved it. He has his own snorkelling gear and life vest but is still won't go snorkelling with us. We have been practicing at home, so maybe next time he will. We got some really good photos also. We also took an underwater disposable camera with us to use when we were snorkelling. It took really good photos.

Nola :)

Rural SA
Level Contributor
286 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Submersible trip from Tokoriki Is and underwater photos???

Thanks for that tip, Nola - I just bought two disposable underwater cams using ebay - 22.00 and free postage.

I can't see Joel finding snorkelling fun just yet - swimming and playing... yes, but I think he is old enough to appreciate seeing animals in their natural environment..even though he can see a clown fish on the teev (Finding Nemo) or in an aquarium.

Hopefully he won't say what my daughter did (she was 6) after getting front row seats for Beauty and the Beast at the theatre - " I think I like the video better"!!

That's kids.

Edited: 16 August 2010, 01:54
Get answers to your questions about Mamanuca Islands