We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transfer Mana Island - Nadi Airport on the same day?

sydney
Level Contributor
183 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Transfer Mana Island - Nadi Airport on the same day?

Hi there,

We will be in Fiji for 11 nights including 6 nights on Mana island.

Our flight back to Sydney is scheduled for 5.30pm so I am not sure whether we should spend an additional night in Mana, transfer to Nadi in the morning and then catch our flight to Sydney in the afternoon. Or whether it is best to transfer to Nadi the day before with the last launch, spend the night in Nadi and then catch our flight the day after.

We will be travelling with our 2 yr and although he is a good traveller I know that transfers with him are not always easy!! So not sure what to do...

Any advice/past experience welcome!

Thanks again for help

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,113 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transfer Mana Island - Nadi Airport on the same day?

If we have had an afternoon flight we normally catch the first boat transfer back to the mainland the day of the flight. My son was 3 at the time, but he is a good traveller. Also had plenty of time before the flight to check in etc. I also like to spend as much time on the island as possible.

Think it is a personal choice for you as to whether you think your son will cope with a boat trip, transfer to airport and flight all in one day.

Nola :)

sydney
Level Contributor
183 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transfer Mana Island - Nadi Airport on the same day?

Thanks Nola :)

I think the first launch leaves Mana at 10.30am and arrives in Denarau at 12pm. Do you have any suggestion as to where we could stay or what we could do before going to the airport?

Alternatively we could catch the next launch arriving in Nadi at 3pm but I am thinking that schedule may be a bit tight for a flight at 5.30pm...

How long does it take to go to the airport from Denarau? is there a lot of traffic? How is Nadi Airport? Is there a restaurant, cafe or area where we could stay while waiting for a flight?

I am just thinking that if we spend the night in Nadi then we can enjoy the swimming pool and hotel facilities until we leave for the airport.

Not sure what to do, especially with a 2 yr old, not mentioning the suitcases...

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,113 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transfer Mana Island - Nadi Airport on the same day?

It takes about 20 mins to get to the airport from Denarau. You will need to catch the 10.30am boat as the 3pm is too late. Depending on who you are flying with you will need to check in at least 2 - 3 hours before your flight. Once you are check in, you won't have to worry about your suitcases. Also there are heaps of duty free shops and a couple of cafes in the departure lounge.

If you wanted to stay the night close to the airport, Raffles Gateway is just across the road, about a 5min walk. They also run a shuttle bus.

Here is the link to some reviews on Raffles:

tripadvisor.com.au/Hotel_Review-g294335-d312…

sydney
Level Contributor
183 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transfer Mana Island - Nadi Airport on the same day?

Hi Nola,

Thanks heaps for the info.

If we catch the 10.30am launch, it means that we will have to spend 5h30 wandering around in the aiport or Nadi with our toddler, our suitcases (until check-in) in the heat (january)...

I really feel like spending an extra night on mana island rather than on mainland but on the other hand it might just be easier in terms of organisation to spend a night in Nadi before departure?

I was thinking about staying at Novotel and arranging for a late check out on departure day.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,113 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transfer Mana Island - Nadi Airport on the same day?

Anyway, as I said before, it entirely up to you and if you feel that it would be better to spend a night in Nadi, then do. As for the Novotel, I have never stayed there before, but other on TA have. Late check out would be a good idea, or else it would be the same as catching the boat the next day.

Edited: 30 September 2010, 05:58
Australia
Level Contributor
817 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transfer Mana Island - Nadi Airport on the same day?

Hi

I would catch the first boat back on the day of your departure. As you have to be checked out of your room at Mana around 10am anyway. When you arrive back at Denarau catch a taxi to Raffles Hotel which is across the road from the airport. You can spend the day by there pool or for a small amount of money get a day room. They have a great pool and decent food, you can swim all day and relax and have a bite to eat then your little one can have a sleep and you can shower then head over to the airport when you are ready. If you don't get a day room, they hire pool towels for about $5 and there is a shower you can use.

Tracy

sydney
Level Contributor
183 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Transfer Mana Island - Nadi Airport on the same day?

Hi Nola and Tracy,

Thanks a lot for the advice and I think if it was only my partner and I, we would have chosent this option but with a toddler in tow and possibly a second one on the way, I have finally decided to spend the last night in Nadi otherwise it will just be a full-on day and I would rather enjoy Fiji time until the last minute!

I am finalising the itinerary and we will do the following:

Day 1 – Fly from Sydney to Nadi (via Brisbane, argh, but we are using miles so no choice), pick up rental car on arrival and spend the night at Novotel in Nadi.

Day 2 – Drive to Coral Coast, stop on the way to Sigatoka, villages and spend night at Crusoe retreat

Day 3 – Relax and spend night at Crusoe retreat, explore the area

Day 4 – Relax and spend night at Crusoe retreat, explore the area

Day 5 – drive back to Denarau in the morning, catch the 12.15pm launch to Mana island and spend night on Mana island

Day 6 – Mana

Day 7 - Mana

Day 8 - Mana

Day 9 - Mana

Day 10 - Mana

Day 11 – Catch the 4.45pm launch to Denarau and spend night in Denarau or Nadi (Westin or Novotel)

Day 12 – Enjoy the day in Nadi and leave for aiport at 3.00pm

While in Sigatoka, we would like to explore a bit the Valley, is it easily accessible? Any other recommendation? is the driving easy in this part of the island (coral coast)? Can we stop in villages or do we need to ask permission? Any recommendations welcome!

Cheers

Australia
Level Contributor
817 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Transfer Mana Island - Nadi Airport on the same day?

Your holiday sounds wonderful.Have you thought about a car seat for your little one? I am sure you will have a wonderful holiday. Any other questions feel free to ask

Tracy

sydney
Level Contributor
183 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Transfer Mana Island - Nadi Airport on the same day?

Thanks Tracy :)

I have actually sent a request to Budget for a quote and asked whether they could provide us with a baby seat but they have not responded to me yet...I will try Avis and Europcar as well.

Cheers

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,113 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Transfer Mana Island - Nadi Airport on the same day?

Sounds great.

I am sure you will have wonderful time in Fiji and be planning your return trip in the plane home as most of us do!!