We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shangri-La, Warwick or Outrigger

Australia
1 post
Save Topic
Shangri-La, Warwick or Outrigger

We are 2 families (children 3,8 & 10)staying in Fiji for 7 nights in November - looking to keep the costs down thus the islands seem to expensive - but particularly want an excellent kids club and good snorkelling - we have narrowed it down to the above 3 hotels and would love to know peoples thoughts/recommendations/experiences to help us make up our minds

Jane

Hervey Bay...
Destination Expert
for Fiji
Level Contributor
1,225 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shangri-La, Warwick or Outrigger

Hi there

IMO if you are really after good snorkeling then you really do need to get out to the islands. The mainland resorts dont have good snorkeling or beaches.....sorry :(

Personally I truely think its worth spending the extra it will cost to stay on an outer island. It will make the difference of a good holiday to that of a totally fabulous holiday!

Try having a look at www.travelonline.com for some prices. Try and go for ones with meals included etc. You should be able to pick up some good last minute deals.

I have only stayed at one of the resorts of the 3 you mentioned. The Warwick. It was fine. Lovely staff and great food. Little noisy, loud and too well run for our liking. A nice place, but really not the true fijian experience that you get from the island resorts.

Have fun choosing.

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
94 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shangri-La, Warwick or Outrigger

I've stayed at Shangri-La and have had many friends stay at Outrigger.

I know a lot of people have negative comments on the mainland and agree the islands are way nicer in terms of snorkelling and beach etc. But we have been to the mainland each July for the last 4 years and have no complaints what so ever. First year we went our youngest was 6 months (and oldest 3) so wanted somewhere that had easy babysitting at night; where kids ate free and where we didn't have to spend too much time flying or ferrying to another island.

Shangri-la is huge but must admit I quite like this. Def lacking in culture and if you want a true Fiji experience an island is probably better. But if you want a resort with a kids club choice of restaurents etc and want to lay by the pool all day then Shangri La suits fine. My sister has done Shangri La twice and also Outrigger - said they are pretty comparable. SLa bigger. Any specific questions just ask.

Def wouldn't go to Sla if I had no kids!

Tuncurry, Australia
Level Contributor
738 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shangri-La, Warwick or Outrigger

Hi

the best value for money on Viti Levu is the all inclusive at the Naviti all meals, drinks & most activities are included in the one price it is the sister resort to the Warwick with a free shuttle bus between the two it has a great kids club and entertainment most nights, so you can get a baby sitter and go out and have some us time Or the kids eat early and go to kids club for a couple of hours while you have diner at one of the restaurants remember this holiday is for you and the kids and the kids will love the Naviti

As for snorkelling you can go around to the Warwick and snorkel out the front in the lagoon or just a short walk past the village on the right as you look at the water is a little beach with some coral it isn’t great but nowhere on Viti Levu is unless you go on and organised dive which you can book at the resort

4. Re: Shangri-La, Warwick or Outrigger

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 October 2009, 20:21