We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how safe is to travel to fiji now?

Slovenia
9 posts
Save Topic
how safe is to travel to fiji now?

hello, I really need an advice. I have a booked flight to FIji from 12. december till 18. december. And I really want to know about political tenses, is it ok and safe to travel there by that time? please, I really need anwsers? Any advice will be good

thank you

Vail, Colorado
Level Contributor
539 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: how safe is to travel to fiji now?

We flew out November 12th and there wasn't even added presence in sight. In addition, we had a day room at the Sofitel in Denaru and the Prime Minister was speaking there; again, no added presence. I don't know what it will be like in December.

Kyogle, Australia
Level Contributor
600 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: how safe is to travel to fiji now?

Don't cancel-Go and enjoy.

sorry for the late reply, only just saw your post. Have a look at the other recent posts on this same issue. Obviously today things are happening over there, finally.

You don;t mention which part of fiji you are travelling to. Main advice is to go and enjoy, and don;t go to suva. Their economy needs tourism. I was there a month ago, when this coup thing was just beginning. Both the aust & NZ govt's really blow it out of proportion with regards tourist safety. Most of the time. locals etc have no idea what is h appening as suva is really in another time zone as it is on the other side of the mainland from where most of the tourism happens. As it is still another week before you go, there may be more miliatry presence seen at the airport- but don't worry. They NEVER harm tourists. Go and have fun doing what you had intended to. The LOCAL fijians are very gentle, kind people who enjoy their simple lives. REad some of the other post replies especially those from locals in Fiji.

cheers

Australia
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: how safe is to travel to fiji now?

I totally agree with you response. I have family that livei n Fiji and they sy that the media blow the whole situation out of proportion.Nadi and Suva are so far apart you won't have any problems

auckland
Level Contributor
376 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: how safe is to travel to fiji now?

i agree. Just got back and whatever you do dont cancel. We are back there for xmas

SA7
Sydney
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: how safe is to travel to fiji now?

Hi! I know this is late and I hope you did go and your trip and had a wonderful time. I just returned to Sydney from Suva last week (13/12/06) and it is absolutely safe and wonderful as always. I went to the beach with my 8 year old nephew and we walked through a checkpoint - the soldiers smiled and chatted with us, very very friendly and not intimidating at all. Most people on the streets of Suva actually want the military to stay! Especially at night, as the crime rate has plummeted since the checkpoints have been in place.

It is safer than ever to go to Fiji, and go to Suva. I never once felt even slightly unsafe and the media have totally blown the situation out of porportion! They are even showing old footage from the May 2000 coup on the News in Sydney!!!

Go on holiday - take advantage of the great rates and support an economy that really needs your help, a country of friendly, lovely people who for the most part would not hurt a fly.

Have fun!!!

S

6. Re: how safe is to travel to fiji now?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 August 2009, 23:19