We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

exchanging currency

Which Nadi hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
lin
England
Level Contributor
441 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
exchanging currency

Hi.....we are taking a trip and will be in Fiji for 3 days.....coming from NZ and going on to LA......should we exchange for FJD before arriving......we're in NZ for RWC and then going on to US before flying home to UK......are GBP....NZD ..... or USD....readily changeable.....we're stating at First landing resort........hoping for a relaxing time after 3 weeks around NZ in a campervan!!!

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Yasawa Islands
Level Contributor
2,024 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: exchanging currency

Change your currency on arrival in Nadi - there is a bank branch just outside the arrivals area.

lin
England
Level Contributor
441 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: exchanging currency

thankyou for that

see you are from Kerikeri...we're looking forward to our 2 night stay there at the end of Oct.

Bellingen, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji, Mamanuca Islands, Navini Island
Level Contributor
8,747 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: exchanging currency

Western Union at the end of the arrivals hall in Nadi is usually the best rate.

Have fun!!

Nadi, Fiji
Level Contributor
60 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: exchanging currency

ATM machines in Fiji are linked worldwide.

Bellingen, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji, Mamanuca Islands, Navini Island
Level Contributor
8,747 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: exchanging currency

Check with your bank as to what charges you will incur if you use ATM's you can get a rude shock when you get home theer are new debit cards you can put Fiji dollars on to avoid these charges, speak to your bank.

Sydney
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: exchanging currency

is the western union open on a saturday and sunday?

Reno, Nv
Destination Expert
for Matangi Island, Fiji
Level Contributor
5,398 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: exchanging currency

Yes, and is open for early morning arrivals. It is located close to the baggage claim area. Hubby gets the luggage, while I exchange money. Duty free will also be open should you want to purchase spirits or snacks.

Tasmania
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: exchanging currency

I have just recently returned from Fiji and we did exchange money at the Post Office at Home (in Australia). We did find when in fiji when we used the ATM we got a better exchange rate, $1.69 at the Post Office vs. $1.82 at the ATM in Fiji (we bank with Westpac).

Fort McMurray...
Level Contributor
454 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: exchanging currency

I have been paying attention to the currency debates going on on the forums. We are going to be spending the Christmas season in Fiji. For us coming from Canada by the time we arrive at Fiji we are certain to be burnt out from a long flight with multiple tranferrs (still too scared to see how much time it is going take for us to get there). From what I have been able to see we can exchange funds at a better rate at the airport before we head off to the place we are staying. Is it a hassle to exchange currency at the airport? If it is easy it seems like we should do everything on arrival. If there is a risk then I'd rather do the paranoid thing and exchange the money before we leave. Would like to know our thoughts.

Reno, Nv
Destination Expert
for Matangi Island, Fiji
Level Contributor
5,398 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: exchanging currency

Not a hassle at all in our experiences. Very easy and quick. Completed exchanging money before our luggage was off loaded from the plane for pick up.

Edited: 11 September 2011, 16:29