We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nadi Sydney Baggage still missing from FJ911 and FJ921

Terrigal
Level Contributor
31 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Nadi Sydney Baggage still missing from FJ911 and FJ921

Hi All

Is anyone else lost luggage from the Nadi to Sydney FJ911 cancelled flights last Friday? We ended up on FJ921 and took 18 hours to get home, so we are grateful, but confused.

I realise the priority was to get passengers out, and I totally understand luggage seems so trivial, but 5 days later we have no news on any of our luggage, including surf board and 3 suitcases with everything we took. On arrival in BNE not one Air Pacific Rep was there to say whether our baggage was to arrive or not. We all wandered around searching for someone. Not one member of staff. Other airline staff tried to help but of course knew nothing either.

Travel Insurance won't cover because the airline hasn't declared the luggage to be 'lost' and we need this in writing. We cannot get any compensation for having to repurchase necessities like shirts, underwear, shoes, hats, makeup, sunscreen, jackets etc because we are in our 'home port' and the clause only allows some financial assistance when 'travelling' away from home port.

Air Pacific has not replied to any of our written requests for news on luggage. Their contractor, Menzies, has no news after calling every day for 5 days and we've been given false reports of 100 bags being sent over, then none, then some, then none.

We are in limbo and have lost in excess of $2000 worth of luggage when you consider all the clothing, shoes, swimwear, rechargers, liquor etc for a family of 4 plus surfboard, fins, snorkels, goggles etc.

Has anyone from that day received their luggage?

Thanks.

Sydney
Level Contributor
1,187 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nadi Sydney Baggage still missing from FJ911 and FJ921

Hi donandshelty,

Must be an extra awful end to your holiday -- that's a lot of luggage for AP not to be able to locate.

When you're talking "Menzies".... is that their agent in Sydney (Mascot) ?

I import goods, so deal with Menzies....

Also, was that you on ABC radio the other morning ??

Julie.

Terrigal
Level Contributor
31 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nadi Sydney Baggage still missing from FJ911 and FJ921

Hey Julie, yes, and yes. Menzies finally located luggage and delivered to our door yesterday evening. Hooray! Lots of mud stains from leaking bags left on wet ground but that's totally understandable and we don't mind a bit.

I was on ABC the other day, driving to work I heard Linda talk about it and it seemed apt to call in. Our friends stuck over there (the ones trying to get a chopper to the airport) did in fact make it to Nadi, only for Air N/Z to demand $3500 one way to get home to Melbourne. So the Air N/Z mercy flight was in fact extortion, with the airline set to make $500,000 for that one flight if it was full.

Donna

Sydney
Level Contributor
1,187 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nadi Sydney Baggage still missing from FJ911 and FJ921

Good news Donna -- Menzies finally came thru !!

That's awful that Air NZ would charge so much in those circumstances -- definitely taking advantage.

You came across really well on the radio and I just knew it must have been you !! I've been known to phone and put my 2c in as well......

Julie ~

Edited: 06 April 2012, 07:44
Bathurst, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji, Viti Levu, Treasure Island, Sonaisali Island, Nadi
Level Contributor
1,525 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nadi Sydney Baggage still missing from FJ911 and FJ921

I think i may have heard you on the radio also speaking about your journey! I am so glad that the bags have arrived back all be it a bit muddy but hopefully the contents were fine what did that take like a week how lucky. But saddened to hear about the raw deal air NZ were offering to stranded passengers.

Auckland Region...
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Nadi Sydney Baggage still missing from FJ911 and FJ921

Hi there

Air New Zealand did add flights with additional capacity to assist those passengers who were already stranded in Fiji due to the flooding. Passengers looking to purchase new tickets were offered the best available fare at the time however we have no record of selling a $3500.00 fare to one person. Feel free to contact us on socialmedia@airnz.co.nz for further assistance.

Air New Zealand

Social Media Team

6. Re: Nadi Sydney Baggage still missing from FJ911 and FJ921

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 02:16