We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trying to get an idea of Fiji

Montreal
Level Contributor
12 posts
Save Topic
Trying to get an idea of Fiji

Hi there. I'm gonna be visiting a friend for their 50th birthday in Zurich, before flying on to Auckland and open jawing for about ten days in the South Pacific. My intention is to fly to Fiji and then onto Australia for my flight home.

I was looking for advice on how to get to a nice resort on an out island. One caveat, I'm travelling in February 2013, so weather and length opf stay are concerns. Also, would probably be looking for a meal plan (if advisable) since a la carte information is sparse at best.

Abny help would be woelcom for Fiji, and Auckland and the North Island generally.

Thanks in advance

Jacques

Mentioned in this post
Zurich
Zurich
Canton of Zurich, Switzerland
Auckland
Auckland
North Island, New Zealand
Fiji
Fiji
South Pacific
North Island
North Island
New Zealand
Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Yasawa Islands
Level Contributor
2,176 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trying to get an idea of Fiji

Any idea of your budget? Dorm or private room? You will find all places in the Yasawas have a compulsory meal plan as there is no alternative - no shops, roads, cafes. What sort of activities are you looking for - snorkelling, diving, hiking, village visits?

Montreal
Level Contributor
12 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Trying to get an idea of Fiji

Hi, not wanting to spend a fortuine, the time to get to/from the resort seems to be a concern, I figured that 200 USD per night should afford something interesting without scraping the bottom of the barrel.

My gf and I are snorkelers, we have just recxently returned to Barbados to snorkel and were hoping to skin dive off the Great Barrier Reef as well...

Jacques

Mentioned in this post
Barbados
Barbados
Caribbean
Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Yasawa Islands
Level Contributor
2,176 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trying to get an idea of Fiji

Have a look at Octopus Resort on Waya Island, Yasawas. Not too far to travel - either on their boat or the Yasawa Flyer. Flyer leaves Denarau at 8.30am and gets to Octopus around 11am, stopping at other islands on the way. So if you get in to Nadi on an early flight you have plenty of time to get to the boat and go straight out that day.

They have nice private bungalows which share the dorm facilities for US$95 per night (for 2 people) , and the meal plan is US$49 per person, so that fits within your budget. Good snorkelling, lovely beach, great food and staff, hiking (a bit strenuous!) and interesting to visit the village.

http://octopusresort.com

Edited: 16 September 2012, 02:33
Bellingen, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji, Mamanuca Islands, Navini Island
Level Contributor
9,654 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trying to get an idea of Fiji

Also have a look at Botaira Beach Resort. It is Fijian owned and run and gives you a sample of Fijian life without too much western influence, great snorkeling close to shore reef is a marine sanctuary with lots of coral varieties and fish.. Basic but great value as the quote in Fiji dollars so you get a great exchange rate making the most of your dollars. Book direct online through their website for good deals.

Edited: 16 September 2012, 03:07
Mentioned in this post
Fiji
Fiji
South Pacific
Montreal
Level Contributor
12 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Trying to get an idea of Fiji

Thanks for that. I'll definitely look into it. What kind of time are we talking about to/from the resort? I xpect to have five days in Fiji and so would like to avoid using one day out and one day back in order to get to a decent destination. Of course exceptional is often worth a certain sacrifice...

Edited: 16 September 2012, 04:06
Mentioned in this post
Fiji
Fiji
South Pacific
Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Yasawa Islands
Level Contributor
2,176 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trying to get an idea of Fiji

As mentioned before, the Yasawa Flyer leaves Denarau daily at 8.30am. If yours is a flight that gets in sometime around 5am you have plenty of time to catch the boat that day. It will be at Octopus around 11am, Botaira a little later. On the return journey, it will pick up from Botaira around 2.15pm, Octopus at 3pm, and be back at Denarau by 6pm.

If you have a late afternoon flight out from Nadi, you could, if staying at Octopus, get their boat back in, it would have you back on the mainland early afternoon. We have often caught an evening flight (around 8.30pm) back to NZ and had plenty of time to get to the airport from the Flyer.

7. Re: Trying to get an idea of Fiji

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 September 2013, 10:16
Get answers to your questions about Nadi